Top three based on known specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kind of curious what the board thinks in general are the top 3 engine oils with price being considered and where no price consideration is given. I would also like these oils to have the best published specs regarding HTHS, NOACK, TBN etc. The combination of specifications and price whether high or low should render an interesting list. Lets go with 5W30 as a basis and API class unimportant for this list. Any Takers?

35.gif

Best at what? Protection? Fuel economy? Price? Cleanliness? Interval? No bite here for sure.

sloinker, you do realize that the performance quality of any given oil in a particular engine may not reflect the best published specs, right? A good analogy is from years past when some HDEO oils had higher starting TBN than others (i.e., 14 vs 10) causing some people to assume that the 14 TBN oil was the better of the two. After an OCI, it was found out that the finished TBN of the 14 oil ended up at 7 while the 10 TBN oil didn't drop below 9. This may have been for many reasons: maybe base stock quality, additive quality, additive synergy, who knows.

The bottom line is you cannot determine the best 3 oils without extensive testing of multiple oils in multiple engines under multiple use scenarios. The guys at the oil labs will tell you they cannot determine the silver bullet even with tens of thousands of tests under their belt. I believe we learned that during the first decade of BITOG. That is what I think.

Off Shelf WalMart:
Best value: ST Syn
Best oil: Mobil1 (any), Penzoil Syn (any), Quaker State Syn (any), Castrol Syn (any), and any other syn at WM I didn't mention.

Today there is no best oil. Three UOA's on each oil in YOUR engine might give you a clue for YOUR engine. It really doesn't matter because the engine will outlast the vehicle or your interest in it.

And just to add, what evidence is there that any one fully formulated and appropriately rated oil is statistically "better" than another? The evidence on here that I have seen shows the opposite.

I guess I'm looking for subjective opinion coupled with some measurable specification. I don't dispute there are non linear results within specifications. I limited the choice to 5W30 to narrow the data and non-api/ilsac etc to keep it simpler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
You want subjective opinion ?

Sure, many Amsoil/Pennzoil/Supertech/etc... fans on the board. Couple what you like subjectively with some published specs to support your antecdotal bias. Apply economy or price no object and see what it represents.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I guess I'm looking for subjective opinion coupled with some measurable specification. I don't dispute there are non linear results within specifications. I limited the choice to 5W30 to narrow the data and non-api/ilsac etc to keep it simpler.

The only measurable specification is the number of approvals, certifications and licenses the oil holds. No one on here is capable of looking at a PDS or VOA/UOA and saying that one oil with one certification is better than another oil with the same cert.

If you believe you have an engine or operating environment that is demanding then buy an oil that meets a demanding approval. I use Castrol 0W-40 in my old Sienna because the gear-driven camshafts have shown to shear the oil and the high temperature of the rear bank and poor PCV system has been shown to cause oxidative thickening. Castrol 0W-40 has Porsche A40 approval which is one of the most demanding approval in existence and addresses both issues.

That's a measurable specification and if you wish to apply it to 5W-30 oils you still can.

Most topics on this board are debated endlessly, although healthy debate is good and I appreciate all the differing opinions. However, I doubt you'll get much consensus on this one without some qualifiers. As a matter of fact, I was inspired to add a sig line because of it.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by 4WD
You want subjective opinion ?

Sure, many Amsoil/Pennzoil/Supertech/etc... fans on the board. Couple what you like subjectively with some published specs to support your antecdotal bias. Apply economy or price no object and see what it represents.

I keep my vehicles forever and you can see what I'm using. Lowest mileage vehicle is 86k and highest is 255k. I was a M1 user for 40 years. Best bang for the buck for me is ST and I don't feel I'm sacrificing anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I gravitate towards the otc moly rich oils. Pennzoil,Quaker State.

Does this imply that there are other brands only available under the counter?

The absolute best is what you think should be in your engine. It's so subjective and there are countless variables. Normal, well maintained vehicles that get driven daily and far enough to get the engine oil very hot can use any over-the-counter name-brand synthetic with great results. Anything more complicated than that will have your head spinning as for what to use.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Anything from the big boys that make their own base oils and additives.

Chevron
Exxon Mobil
Shell.

The 3 I'm using now ... but good, better, best should be left to Discount Tire ...œ

Toughest specs to hit...

Toughest group specs to have and attain
Porsche C30 + A40
MB 229.5 + MB 229.3
BMW LL-01

Tough group middle of the road specs
Dexos1 Gen 2
ACEA A5

Easiest group
API SN+
IlSAC gf-5

The Porsche A40 video of that testing standard is a real deal torture test...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back