Going to try longer OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing our own oil changes at home for the past several years every 5K using synthetic oil. I have decided to go a different rout as the significant other of the household is retiring in August which will greatly reduce her mileage usage on her 2012 skyactive Mazda 3 4 cylinder 2.0 engine. I purchased Mobiles Annual protection 5W-20 at Wal-Mart for $31 and also got the Fram XG filter for extended oil changes. My plan is to change it in the next few weeks and then change again in January 2020 and send in to Blackstone for testing . I actually do not anticipate any issues, but still I am old with old ways plus I just hate doing the oil changes on that car with its low profile and my big belly! Just curious if there should be any concerns on my part for moving forward with the extended OCI.

How is the fuel dilution in this engine? How much do you idle? Driving locally? Hwy?

Oil is cheap and your system hold very little oil, I dump my oil 4k miles and then filter every other oil change.

I honestly do not know how the fuel dilution is for this car, I suspect with her retiring there will be a significant decrease in stop and go driving. We live in a small town so her local driving will probably increase some as well as her highway travel as she will have more time now to travel back into Austin and Bastrop to visit friends and shopping I am sure.

Number one issue with a long oci as far as time is using a paper filter. Seriously consider fram ultra instead if you like Fram, I have cut open many filters, I used to cut them open every single oci for a decade. Paper just stiffens up and doesn't filter on a long oci, in the simpliest of terms it doesn't happen. Spun Micro glass filters will outlast whatever oil you choose. If you can find them Royal Purple has a real thick and loose media, perfect for a 2 year oci. I have cut my RP filters at 1 year, 14 mos, and 2 year interval very recently, they were in like new condition as far as being pliable. If you are thinking of going to a 2 year interval or longer, don't use paper. Actually anything over three mos, leave the paper alone.

Should be fine... my step daughter has the same car and before she married, she would usually drive about 10,000 miles every 8 months on Mobil 5w20 EP or 0w30 (best results) ... now that she's married and doesn't drive near as much, she just has it changed at the Wal-Mart in her city with QS conventional 5w20 every six months.

Originally Posted by mctmatt
Been doing our own oil changes at home for the past several years every 5K using synthetic oil. I have decided to go a different rout as the significant other of the household is retiring in August which will greatly reduce her mileage usage on her 2012 skyactive Mazda 3 4 cylinder 2.0 engine. I purchased Mobiles Annual protection 5W-20 at Wal-Mart for $31 and also got the Fram XG filter for extended oil changes. My plan is to change it in the next few weeks and then change again in January 2020 and send in to Blackstone for testing . I actually do not anticipate any issues, but still I am old with old ways plus I just hate doing the oil changes on that car with its low profile and my big belly! Just curious if there should be any concerns on my part for moving forward with the extended OCI.

I'm the exact same way. 5K on my synthetics, and WIX. However, with Hyundai recommending 7,500, the motor being easy on oil (and the motor isn't the notorious Theta II that has oil/rod bearing related failures), and getting M1AP for $10/jug... Well, for the first time ever, I ran 7,500.

I know, I know, that was still a waste. But I'm re-using it in another vehicle with an owner that just doesn't care. So the oil will go well beyond 12K. I figured it's a win-win and I'm not going beyond Hyundai's 7,500 recommendation.

Toward the end of the run, I'll admit, I was getting itchy. I checked the oil much more frequently, thought about it more, and wanted it out. But I did it. And I was pleasantly surprised how it looked when i drained it. AP seems legit.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back