Oil change interval on 70 Chevelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't use my 1970 396 Chevelle much so getting to 3K in a year is a stretch. I currently use 10/40 conventional oil and change the filter (Napa) at every change. Time wise not mileage, how long should I wait between changes?

Dont know your car. Is the PCV system fuully plummed and how is the carburetor calibrated? Is see a lot of guys running out of the box Edelbrock shiny carters and they are running too rich on the primaries at mid vacuum.

On a collector car like that I would change it as soon as it gets dirty. Not optimal I know but who cares. Other than that, once per year.
smile.gif

You could always run a uoa, I bet it would say 3 years would be fine though. I put two years on my hemi only 5k miles a year, still over 3 tbn left of course fuel injection. Like someone said, depends how it's running, you know those old muscle cars can be notorious for dumping fuel into the gas if not tuned perfect with plugs hot. So just off that possibilty and it being such a nice vehicle, I say once a year. I had a 69 chevelle white with the black top, had to sell it to a friend when I went into the Army. Glad there are still survivors.

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo with a 396 in it and I don't change it every year because it doesn't get driven much at all. I changed it last September and when I looked back in my maintenance log for this car, It had been 8 years since I had changed it last. Oil still looked like new. I don't recommend going that long but I would probably go at least two or three years. I put 10W-40 Castrol in it on this last change.

I have a 1972 Grand Prix with the 400 and an all-stock engine (Rochester Quadrajet, etc.) and for the PA temps we have been experiencing (98 degrees today), I used ST 15w-40 HD. The owners manual calls for up to a 20w-40 so this easily available oil seemed like a proper choice, which I did around 3,000 miles.

Used the Delco PF-24 filter, too.

Originally Posted by 007
I don't use my 1970 396 Chevelle much so getting to 3K in a year is a stretch. I currently use 10/40 conventional oil and change the filter (Napa) at every change. Time wise not mileage, how long should I wait between changes?

Uncle uses 15w40 in all his classic small and big block stuff, including his 70 Chevelle with a 402. Usually runs it atleast 2 years. Been working for him for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back