2013 F150 5.0, 5W-20 PUP, 1 year OCI, Mileage 4,787

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

2013 F150 5.0 Super-crew. Bought the truck used in March of 2016. The previous owner had all the service done at the dealership that leased the truck, which is also where I bought the truck. I assume all the oil changes were Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and a FL500S filter. Since I bought the truck I have done the oil changes myself and have used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 and a Royal Purple filter for the 3 oil changes I have done. I have gone by the trucks OLM and have changed it when it gets under 5%. I basically change the oil once a year. Oil change #2 which is when I had my 1st UOA done. I added 11.5 oz of Hot Shot Secrets FR3 during oil change #2. I skipped the UOA on my 2nd oil change and just did another on my 3rd.The truck is a low mileage vehicle and is used for a lot of short trips. I do believe I idled a lot more than usual this past year. Will see if that was indeed the cause of the rise in the iron level when I do the next UOA. I do run a MPT 93 race tune the majority of the time on the truck and do drive it hard. She has been to the track several times.

Your idling/short trips must have been extensive if the OLM was down to 5% at under 5,000 miles. My Ram's OLM is, in my opinion, rather long and I think I could go 2 yrs or almost 2 years before it showed 5%.

I'd say quit letting it idle so much, (waste of gas anyways) and take it for an ocassional long/semi long drive once in a while.

Originally Posted by irv
Your idling/short trips must have been extensive if the OLM was down to 5% at under 5,000 miles. My Ram's OLM is, in my opinion, rather long and I think I could go 2 yrs or almost 2 years before it showed 5%.

I'd say quit letting it idle so much, (waste of gas anyways) and take it for an ocassional long/semi long drive once in a while.

On the 2013s, Ford's IOLM has been shown to be a counter, 10k miles or 1 year....so that's why it went off.

Agree with lots of idling causing elevated iron.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by irv

On the 2013s, Ford's IOLM has been shown to be a counter, 10k miles or 1 year....so that's why it went off.

I believe you meant to state the Ford iOLM also factors time to calculate oil life. This means no more than 1 year time wise.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by irv

I believe you meant to state the Ford iOLM also factors time to calculate oil life. This means no more than 1 year time wise.

We can hash out the verbiage as much as we want to, but my observed was one percent for every hundred miles, and if I left it parked for two weeks it counted down proportionately for a one year interval.

I had a little of the Hot Shot Secrets FR3 left over so I sent in the virgin sample to see what's in it. Will post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back