Blending TCW3 in diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this question but it seems OK.

I use off-road diesel in my old off-road engines. Tractor, mower, generator set. Until the most recent storage tank fill, my fuel guy has been able to deliver 500 ppm fuel to me. He's been unable to get more since my last delivery a few years ago. Now I have 15 ppm ULSD off-road fuel in my tank.

I always use 200:1 TCW3 in 15 ppm road fuel in my 6.5 TD truck but I mix in the oil when I fill at the pump.

I plan to use TCW3 in my new ULSD off-road fuel I have in my storage tank but I wonder if this oil goes into solution and remains in solution in a stationary tank without agitation. If I pour a gallon of TCW3 into 200 gallons of fuel, will I soon have one gallon of TCW3 laying in the bottom of the tank or will it blend and remain blended?

Thank you,
DW

Use a clean 5 Gallon gas can, put in 1/2 gal of TCW3 and fill with diesel. Pour this into storage tank. Repeat with remaining TCW3.
You might want to do another 5 gal of diesel just to agitate or if you have an electric pump use nozzle in tank fill hole to agitate.

Forgot to add, when adding diesel to TCW3 in 5 gal can, put about 1 gal of diesel and shake can well before filling can with diesel.

Last edited:
I use about a Qt of 2 stroke oil with each 50 gals diesel.
A bit of Biobor, too.
She loves it.
Cat 3116.

TRUCK SIDE2.jpg

Originally Posted by varmint
Forgot to add, when adding diesel to TCW3 in 5 gal can, put about 1 gal of diesel and shake can well before filling can with diesel.

What is the deal with the counter weights on the wheels?

Not weights.
They protect components for the CTIS / Central Tire Inflation System.
You can inflate/deflate tire pressure on the fly or anytime using the engine driven
air compressor.

Originally Posted by Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted by varmint

What is the deal with the counter weights on the wheels?

Thanks. I have 200 gallons in a 275 gallon IBC (tote) with a manual Fill-Rite piston pump. Not sure how I could aerate or agitate the fuel.

I guess I'll have to do it the hard way and do a 200:1 mix & separation test in a pickle jar and leave it sit to know if the oil comes out of solution. I'll probably end up having to mix in five gallon jugs and use it from there.

Totes have a large opening on top. You can use many things to mix its contents. Drill powered paddle mixer, boat oar, etc.

I use a couple to catch rainwater. I don't think I'd use them for long term fuel storage. The valve on the bottom looks pretty fragile. I'd worry about age.

Last edited:
My main concern is the oil falling out of solution over time.

No concern at all about keeping fuel in a tote. I've been doing that since 2004.

Originally Posted by 32319

I can't imagine that happening with two hydrocarbons.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by 32319

I can't imagine that happening with two hydrocarbons.

Simple logic tells me the same thing. It would be nice if a hydrocarbon expert around here knows for sure.

Well I doubt you need a "hydrocarbon expert". Once something is truly in solution it's not going to separate.

I have a minor in chemistry, is that close enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back