How did I become the constable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago I started a neighborhood watch on face book. Its come in handy when an outsider is dumping trash illegally or someones dog got lost.

Lately there has been a lot of bickering between neighbors on my site. Most of it is started by a lady thats kookoo.

Now when someone gets into an argument one or both sides start asking me for help. Asking me to go talk to the other person etc. I don't have time for that!

I'm just a nobody. Although I have lived in my area longer (45 yrs) than most others. Im not a judge,mayor or cop lol

Originally Posted by chemman
Perhaps you are viewed as a respected "elder" of the community...

Naw. I'm the guy with gallons of oil and lots of filters in his garage.

Oh yeah you need to have them see this clip and tell them not to bicker and argue about who killed who.

Originally Posted by chemman
But you are a respected "elder" here so why not at home too?

Good point ^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Chris142
Several years ago I started a neighborhood watch on face book. Its come in handy when an outsider is dumping trash illegally or someones dog got lost.

Lately there has been a lot of bickering between neighbors on my site. Most of it is started by a lady thats kookoo.

Now when someone gets into an argument one or both sides start asking me for help. Asking me to go talk to the other person etc. I don't have time for that!

I'm just a nobody. Although I have lived in my area longer (45 yrs) than most others. Im not a judge,mayor or cop lol

Fakebook was your first mistake. It's the land of idiots. Have you actually manned up and just told them to shut up and grow up?

I didn't realize California had gotten that bad. Severe illegal trash dumping? Bickering and "coocoo" neighbors? Not exactly a chamber of commerce picture.

We have a page like this and it is controlled by a moderator. If someone violates the guidelines by going political, selling their services etc. their post gets deleted. Same as BITOG.

Since you started this page, aren't you the moderator?

Illegal dumping is our biggest problem. People from the city dont want to pay so they dump here.

https://cms.sbcounty.gov/dpw/SolidWasteManagement/Fees.aspx

Most of my neighbors are good. They will show up by the dozen to catch illegal dumpers.

The kookoo lady must be bipolar. She buys empty houses,puts them up for sale @3X what she paid then sits on them. Often they get broken into and she is real fast to start blaming others for breaking in.

We have that as well, and people who would ordinarily be nice face to face will be quite rude, to the point of making death threats, online.

People naturally turn to those who exhibit traits like sanity, strength and stability when there is someone who, for lack of a better word, "infests" an otherwise functional community; be that a real-life community or a virtual one (where people are more emboldened, as you have observed, by the cloak of disconnection from direct contact with others). Someone who DOESN'T get sucked in emotionally to bickering in some given community can often times quickly find themselves the anchor of that community.

Whether that's a burden or an honour is up to you; but your community clearly needs your activity in that role.

I am a Neighbourhood Watch block captain and I also moderate about a dozen Facebook Groups, ranging from Neighbourhood Watches to community groups to school parent councils to community gardens, etc. All of these have some discord that arises from the disparate personalities that constitute them. I strongly suggest placing a "Sticky" post atop your Group that stipulates the standards to which your members' conduct will be expected to meet. Here is the one I use for a neighbourhood group (serving pretty much the same function as yours) I moderate all by my lonesome:

Welcome, neighbours!

This forum is here for us to share and discuss information pertinent to our neighbourhood. Our participation makes this work. It works best when we agree that:

1) Discussions remain cordial. Insults and derogatory language will be removed.

2) Language must be family-friendly. We never know who is reading this and watching us. The example we set for them here will be free of f-bombs.

3) Discussions involving politics and religion, beyond the scope of our neighbourhood's immediate concerns, rarely end well. You have a personal platform on Facebook, but this is not it.

If something about a post lowers our forum below these standards, please report it and someone's phone will ding and they will fix it.

I deal with lots of reported posts and I have to remove a lot of content. It doesn't take all that much time. I am always polite and clear in my communications with the involved parties and I think the Groups I moderate are better off from my efforts.

Failing effort's effectiveness, you can always just remove the kookoo lady member. Else you may find yourself facing an exodus of the quality members.

You have discovered the curse of the do-gooder. Your marked for life.

33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

I also moderate about a dozen Facebook Groups, ranging from Neighbourhood Watches to community groups to school parent councils to community gardens, etc.

Curious why a person would want to do this?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

I also moderate about a dozen Facebook Groups, ranging from Neighbourhood Watches to community groups to school parent councils to community gardens, etc.

Curious why a person would want to do this?

To be of service. If it does nothing else of value, Facebook has facilitated communities' ability to communicate like nothing else I've ever used. From people in disparate locations who share a common interest to people who just need a place to confer in between meetings, Facebook Groups are a time-saver and ease-maker.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Fakebook was your first mistake. It's the land of idiots. Have you actually manned up and just told them to shut up and grow up?

I didn't realize California had gotten that bad. Severe illegal trash dumping? Bickering and "coocoo" neighbors? Not exactly a chamber of commerce picture.

Dont tell my stepdad that. He thinks it's the "land of Rose's and beauty"

Lake Tahoe area is nice and where chris142 lives is where I'd live if I could
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back