17 Imprezza 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend just picked up a 2017 Subaru imprezza woth 40,000 miles on it. It has the flat 4 engine. It's still under warranty and Subaru recommends full synthetic for 6,000 miles. I'm generally a pennzoil guy, but for such a short interval I'm wondering if going to something cheaper. What say you?

QSUD, cheap and full synth.

You might want to get a filter other than the OEM such as Wix 57055 to help with the dry start. The OEM filter has a nitrile ADBV instead of silicone and doesn't hold the oil well between stop and start. I have a friend with a '19 impreza and I find it is loud for the first few seconds with OEM filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
QSUD, cheap and full synth.

You might want to get a filter other than the OEM such as Wix 57055 to help with the dry start. The OEM filter has a nitrile ADBV instead of silicone and doesn't hold the oil well between stop and start. I have a friend with a '19 impreza and I find it is loud for the first few seconds with OEM filter.

Hm. My FB25 has the dry start too. I just bought one of those filters!

Originally Posted by JHogan
My girlfriend just picked up a 2017 Subaru imprezza woth 40,000 miles on it. It has the flat 4 engine. It's still under warranty and Subaru recommends full synthetic for 6,000 miles. I'm generally a pennzoil guy, but for such a short interval I'm wondering if going to something cheaper. What say you?

So, how much you want to save? Pennzoil Platinum is like $22 for 5qt. If that is not cheap than maybe public transportation?

Here you go, base price sourced from Walmart/Amazon (and ignoring rollbacks, discounts, and rebates):

5 QT jugs:

$19.97: Quaker State Ultimate Durability
$21.47: Valvoline Advanced Full Synth
$24.97: Pennzoil Platinum
$25.47: Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synth
$25.97: Castrol Edge

Pick from one of the above and go crazy...

I have been using M1 0W20 AFE and PP 0W20 in my daughter's '15 Impreza, no apparent oil consumption and it has ended up being about $12 per jug after rebate.
I'm sure ST 0W20 synth would be more than fine in this engine if you don't want to deal with a rebate, but it seems like that grade is often not stocked at my local WMs in favor of 5W20. QSUD is also a good budget choice without a rebate.

I used a Wix 57055 on our Impreza once when I could not get OEM quickly enough and, like the one I used on my own vehicle, it seeped oil from the gasket during the OCI. The one on my FXT seeped no matter how tight I went on it and I noticed when I removed it that there were molding ridges in the seal...I am absolutely done with those Wix/NAPA Gold filters. I have used the US Subie blue cans, thee types of Tokyo Roki filters, and K&N with no gasket issues and am 0 for 2 with the 57055. One of the K&Ns I used did seep a tiny bit of oil from the hole through the nut on top.

NO oil consumption on the FB20. Just did the OC on the wife's crosstrek ( just a jacked up impreza with extra glitz and doodads for way too much more money)
I wasn't as wild about the Valvoline Advanced in 0w20 that came out as I was with it in 5w30 in the old Nissan. She missed an OCI under warranty and went over 9K miles this OCI. I have a sample on deck for CAT or Blackstone to put in my maintenance folder The oil looked finein the drain pan and the filler neck looked clean.

We have Magnatec 5w20 in there now. No need of 0w in the Summer. We'll see how this runs.

Mobil 1 EP 0w20 would be a good choice. Wife wont let me buy EXxonMobil due to the Valdez disaster.

Don cheap out a few dollars over thousands of mile for an important thing like oil You can go from Mehhh to Wow for the price of 2 gallons of gas. You just have to be choosy.

Now, do second owners get the Fuji 10 year 120K miles CVT warranty extension gratis?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
NO oil consumption on the FB20. Just did the OC on the wife's crosstrek ( just a jacked up impreza with extra glitz and doodads for way too much more money)
I wasn't as wild about the Valvoline Advanced in 0w20 that came out as I was with it in 5w30 in the old Nissan. She missed an OCI under warranty and went over 9K miles this OCI. I have a sample on deck for CAT or Blackstone to put in my maintenance folder The oil looked finein the drain pan and the filler neck looked clean.

We have Magnatec 5w20 in there now. No need of 0w in the Summer. We'll see how this runs.

Mobil 1 EP 0w20 would be a good choice. Wife wont let me buy EXxonMobil due to the Valdez disaster.

Don cheap out a few dollars over thousands of mile for an important thing like oil You can go from Mehhh to Wow for the price of 2 gallons of gas. You just have to be choosy.

Now, do second owners get the Fuji 10 year 120K miles CVT warranty extension gratis?

Yes, but i'm pretty sure it's only 100K miles.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Yes, but i'm pretty sure it's only 100K miles.

It is 100k for my vehicles.

I just re-read the notice. You are correct ! 10Y/100K.

The 120K must have been my wishful thinking
smile.gif

-Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back