Winter tires for 2019 Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into what tires I will be getting for my vehicle this Winter. I have a 2019 Dodge ram Classic 1500 4x4. The last 2 seasons in my Tacoma I was on Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2's And was quite happy for the most part with my only complaint being ice.

For the Dodge what are your guys' recommendations. I live in New Hampshire, So there's always lots of ice And I frequently deal with both heavy deep snow on my rural commute to work and packed snow/ice when piddling around town. I'm also on the local volunteer department so I also will be responding in nor'easters or whatever whether New Hampshire decides to throw at me as which would require aggressive driving (generally). I'm looking to spend roughly 600 to 650 on a set of 4 But with the proper testimonial/proof of tire performance I'm willing to go up in price. For what it's worth I will not touch anything with the name Firestone on it. My tire size is 265-70R17
Also I'm looking to pick up an extra set of rims To put the snow tires on, I want them to be identical to OEM size but I don't know what size my rims are from the factory on my truck so if anyone knows any good cheap rims that are identical in size to the OEM tires on my truck I'd love a recommendation for that as well, I don't care if it's steel alloy ugly or pretty I just need a good set of rims so that I don't need to eat the [censored] Out of my factory Alloy wheels on my employers old tire machine.
***Tire must have mountain/snowflake symbol and I prefer studded or studdable tires***
Thank you, Ried FF/AEMT

Originally Posted by Pelican
I've got only 3 words for you....HAKKA HAKKA HAKKA you can't find better for your conditions.

Sounds like you have something stuck in your throat.

I live in Massachusetts and have had good luck with the Mastercraft courser MSR studded on my 2500 plow truck. I'm also intrigued by the Arctic claw winter XSI, but have not tried them. I briefly ran the General Grabber Arctic LT, with successful results however , they were replaced under warranty due to the studs sinking all the way into the tread blocks. Not sure if I would give them a try again or not.

If you want studs, the Nokian Hakka 9 is the only one worth considering
smile.gif

I called Nokian and asked them a while back. They said nothing is going to do well on ice. Personally, good all seasons do great for me in snow, so after my failed attempt to make Nokian WRG3 SUV's work for me, I have gone back to a quality all season and it's done great. Nothing works on black ice. All seasons do fine in the snow (in my experience).

Originally Posted by NissanHauler
... The last 2 seasons in my Tacoma I was on Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2's And was quite happy for the most part with my only complaint being ice.....I live in New Hampshire, So there's always lots of ice....

Get the factory studded Nokian LT3. Test after test after test has confirmed the superiority of studded tires on ice.

https://www.nokiantires.com/studded-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt3/

https://www.nokiantires.com/company...ew-premium-winter-tire-for-light-trucks/

Compared to the previous model, Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2, the new Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 has been substantially improved in ice and snow handling and grip. The Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 also features improved grip on wet and slushy conditions.

A close up photo of the factory stud is here:
https://shina.guide/press/17827/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
I called Nokian and asked them a while back. They said nothing is going to do well on ice. Personally, good all seasons do great for me in snow, so after my failed attempt to make Nokian WRG3 SUV's work for me, I have gone back to a quality all season and it's done great. Nothing works on black ice. All seasons do fine in the snow (in my experience).

If there is a tire discussion that involves Nokian, do you automatically chime in saying they are trash?

I'm surprised Nokian in Vermont told you that even their studded tires won't do well on ice.

Originally Posted by edyvw
This:
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/contivikingcontact-7

Not available in 265/70r17

Last edited:
We ran Michelin Latitude X-ice on our '18 RAM 1500 and were quite pleased with their ice performance. They are not the best tires in snow, but for a studless, they are probably one of the best on the market on ice.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Ws6

If there is a tire discussion that involves Nokian, do you automatically chime in saying they are trash?

I'm surprised Nokian in Vermont told you that even their studded tires won't do well on ice.

Originally Posted by edyvw
This:
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/contivikingcontact-7

Not available in 265/70r17

Continental selector showing it is available.

I run iPike's on my truck but they seem to be unloved here. If nothing else they prove that the worst winter tire is still better than the best all season as I found them massively better than LTX's in snow. Maybe the LTX's would hold their own on ice, but the LTX's just couldn't cut it in winter. I only see ice a few times per year so I usually don't value it too much, plus when the weather is bad I stay home (if I can). Wife's car has Altimax which seem pretty good too but that might be passenger car size only, dunno.

I am running Avalance Extemes on my Ram and have been since 2014.
Imo, they are a great tire but I can't say how they are on a lot of ice? We see snow and ice, obviously, but it doesn't sound like the amount of ice you normally see?
Do they not use salt in your area?

These tires are made by Cooper and they are relatively inexpensive compared to some others but the wear has been excellent, imo. They come pre-drilled for studs, ride excellent and are real quiet as well.

Good luck.
cheers3.gif

Avalanche ext .JPG

Avalanche.JPG

Av's.JPG

IMG_0510 (Large).JPG

The 17"s are so spongy and rubbery, I found even the factory Goodyear Wrangers to be OK in winter conditions with my 2017 Ram 1500, QC 4x4. Any true snow rubber would make the truck a tank in the snow.

I lucked out last year and scored a set of factory steelies, TPMS and OEM goodyear wranglers with just a few 1000 miles on them for $350. They were off a 2015 Tradesman. Now I have a full set of factory alloys with the black plastic covers and a full set of steelies.

Keep in mind you need 2015+ OEM TPMS if you want them to be truly plug-n-play. No programming required. The truck will sync itself right up to them with any wheel swap. If you go aftermarket with TPMS sensors, those will need programming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NissanHauler
Looking into what tires I will be getting for my vehicle this Winter. I have a 2019 Dodge ram Classic 1500 4x4. The last 2 seasons in my Tacoma I was on Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2's And was quite happy for the most part with my only complaint being ice.

For the Dodge what are your guys' recommendations. I live in New Hampshire, So there's always lots of ice And I frequently deal with both heavy deep snow on my rural commute to work and packed snow/ice when piddling around town. I'm also on the local volunteer department so I also will be responding in nor'easters or whatever whether New Hampshire decides to throw at me as which would require aggressive driving (generally). I'm looking to spend roughly 600 to 650 on a set of 4 But with the proper testimonial/proof of tire performance I'm willing to go up in price. For what it's worth I will not touch anything with the name Firestone on it. My tire size is 265-70R17
Also I'm looking to pick up an extra set of rims To put the snow tires on, I want them to be identical to OEM size but I don't know what size my rims are from the factory on my truck so if anyone knows any good cheap rims that are identical in size to the OEM tires on my truck I'd love a recommendation for that as well, I don't care if it's steel alloy ugly or pretty I just need a good set of rims so that I don't need to eat the [censored] Out of my factory Alloy wheels on my employers old tire machine.
***Tire must have mountain/snowflake symbol and I prefer studded or studdable tires***
Thank you, Ried FF/AEMT

So which tires did you end up choosing this winter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back