gf-4 SM for 6.0 ski nautique

I've been searching for a couple of hours now, most of the discussions/debates are above my level of comprehension. Anyway I have a 2015 ski nautique 200 with the ZR409 6 litre chev made by pleasure craft marine (PCM). PCM recommends the following:

Prevailing Ambient Recommended A.P.I.
Temperature Classifi cation & Viscosity
Above 50ËšF SAE 15W-40 "GF-4/SM"
Below 50ËšF SAE 5W-30 "GF-4/SM"

I fit into the "above 50f" category.

For the past 10+ yrs I've used Rotella triple T and some T4 on my PCM 5.7 without any issues. As most know the "SM" rating was dropped on the Rotella line.

Can someone just recommend a couple of brands of 15w-40 that meet the GF-4/SM rating please and thanks. I'm in Ontario Canada and may not have quick access to all the brands in the USA that is why I am asking for a few recommendations, I have a canadian tire and TSC within 5 minutes from me.

Thanks in advance

Here's one choice. Made by Citgo. It's not GF-4 but is SM and CJ-4. Available in Canada. Sounds like they want high Zinc since SN would limit it to 800 ppm.

24449684-8F65-4B0B-91BC-38E87FABA050.jpeg

F51EF7B2-1BEE-4AC4-A442-15CB85683B26.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions snagglefoot! Manual is 2015 but may just be reprinted. Boat has 60 hrs on it so it's basically new. The valvoline extreme is on for a great price at TSC here but after reading some of the posts on here it looks like it doesn't measure up to some of the other brands.

I would consider this oil
Chevron Delo 400 XSP Synthetic 5W40

They also have a semi syn in 15W-40

Last edited:
I agree on sticking with Rotella or maybe running Delvac 1 in the same grade. We run D1 5w-40 in our PCM 5.8L Ford GT40.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I agree on sticking with Rotella or maybe running Delvac 1 in the same grade. We run D1 5w-40 in our PCM 5.8L Ford GT40.

Not all owners are gear heads (pun intended)

A5E0D8EB-ACD3-4557-AB02-FB69EBB64A8E.png

I've been searching for a couple of hours now, most of the discussions/debates are above my level of comprehension. Anyway I have a 2015 ski nautique 200 with the ZR409 6 litre chev made by pleasure craft marine (PCM). PCM recommends the following:

Prevailing Ambient Recommended A.P.I.
Temperature Classifi cation & Viscosity
Above 50ËšF SAE 15W-40 "GF-4/SM"
Below 50ËšF SAE 5W-30 "GF-4/SM"

I fit into the "above 50f" category.

For the past 10+ yrs I've used Rotella triple T and some T4 on my PCM 5.7 without any issues. As most know the "SM" rating was dropped on the Rotella line.

Can someone just recommend a couple of brands of 15w-40 that meet the GF-4/SM rating please and thanks. I'm in Ontario Canada and may not have quick access to all the brands in the USA that is why I am asking for a few recommendations, I have a canadian tire and TSC within 5 minutes from me.

Thanks in advance

Thought I would share an update for you. **All 6.0L, 6.0L HO, 7.4L LSX, 6.2L Supercharged, 5.3L DI and 6.2L DI engines require the use of SAE 5W-30 DEXOS GEN 2 formula oil. These engines should be serviced with this weight and formula oil moving forward.These engines are designed specifically with use of DEXOS GEN 2 formula engine oil. This formulation is now found in most major brands of engine oil. Refer to the technical information on the website for your model engine to get the correct engine oil specifications

It is from the PCM FAQ's at

Big Correct Craft guy here. Our old 85 Ski Nautique 2001 with the 351 has over 1500 hours running exclusively M1 HM 5W30 (not my choice). Clean as a whistle and no major issues outside of occasional carburetor and hot start issue. We also have a 97 Sport Nautique with 700 hours on it with the GT-40 that runs like a top as well.
I wouldn't think M1 0W40 would be an issue, though Rotella T6 is great. Those boats are built proof with regular maintenance and if the weed filter before the impeller is kept clean!

I am a fan of Rotella T6 for diesel engines. As for gas then one needs to make sure the oil is gas rated. Some is diesel only rated. I think the CJ version was gas and diesel rated but have not looked at labels lately.

Back