Do you have a fave RTV sealant you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I put on an oil pan using Permetex The Right Stuff using the application can. First time I tried it.

I have to admit I loved how quick and easy it was to make a nice bead and the fact you can put the vehicle back into service immediately.

You guys have RTV's you really like to use?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bud_One
[Linked Image]

+1 If I have to use one the Honda Bond it is. Other than filling end gaps where RTV is specified I have no use for RTV.

Originally Posted by spavel6
[Linked Image]

I've never seen a tube come with a key like that, nice attention to detail.

Are there any downsides to using high temp RTV on low temp applications? Just expense?

Threebond, sparingly. I'm a firm believer that gaskets + prep work is king. Only place on my vehicle RTV exists is where absolutely needed; sealing the 2 halves of the front diff, and the 4 corners of my oil pan where the front+rear main covers meet the block.

[Linked Image]

I'll use this only as a last resort, if a gasket is not available.

I love The Right Stuff. I have used it on intakes for the ends of the them (3800, L98, LT1) and some rear diffs.
I think it is the best RTV I have every used.

Honestly, not have been brand loyal to any sealant brand. Just have used whatever sealant of a particular brand and followed their application guide for type and have had no issue.

Last couple of aftermarket diff covers I have used came with Loctite branded RTV and it worked fine also. Only thing I have avoided using is some unknown name Chinese made stuff I have seen come in some applications.

Originally Posted by Trav
[Linked Image]

+1 If I have to use one the Honda Bond it is. Other than filling end gaps where RTV is specified I have no use for RTV.

No Hylomar?

99% of the time I only use Hylomar but there are a few places you must use RTV eg intake front and rear seals on the intake of a few engines that use RTV instead of a rubber seal, the gap is a bit too large for a not setting sealer. In the case of some OE formed in place gaskets there is no substitute.
I use so little RTV I try and get the smallest tube and throw it away after Its been used, I got sick of throwing hardened almost full tubes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back