Continental True Contact Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I seem to be more of a Pirelli guy, these CTCT seem to be strongly on my radar for the next tires for one or both vehicles(Altima/Civic) in my signature.

Although I am not a fan of Continental tires due to experience, they seem to check a lot of the boxes in my criteria and score high(not highest) in CR & TR results/surveys.

Can anyone comment on these tire due to personal experience? It'll be next Spring 2020, so I have time to research, decide and shop.

Thanks,

CB

On 12/31 I purchased a set of True Contact Tour 91H for my 2017 Elantra. It was a big adjustment from T Rated (soft) OEM Nexen. I felt bumps in road with less air pressure. They were all off 1/2 ounce when installed, so it felt like tires were bouncing up and down. Had a lot going on at work so came back 1/23 for re-balance. Correcting balance still felt imperfections in road too much. Called Continental customer service and recommended RT43's. That is is what I have now and am pleased. It was an even exchange. They are quieter then the True Contact Tour. They have a softer ride (even though H rated like the TCT).

Strong points:
1. True Contact Tour were great with 11" snow which was mostly on road when I drove home from work.
2. Continental was great to work with when I presented warranty claim. I just could not live with the True Contact Tours.

I had RT43's on previous car. One of my favorite tires when compared to Michelin,Cooper, and now Continental. Great in rain. Great in turns. Just did a 6 hour trip and mileage was on par with OEM tires. That is my story.

Look at the photos on in the link above... See how the outer blocks on the tread are mostly closed? That makes the tire nice and quiet, but the snow has nowhere to escape. Looks like every 3rd block is open. The ProContact was factory install on the Altima we just sold, and those had no open blocks. They were the worst tire I have ever driven in the winter. Even a dusting of snow was horrible. We replaced them with Michelin Defenders and it was an entirely different car after that.

Having said all that... If you run dedicated snow tires in the winter, then go for it. The ProContacts were fine and quiet in the other 3 seasons. The S60 we have now is running ExtremeContacts, and they are fine year-round.

Have fun hunting!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Ws6
Check out the lx25's

Why a SUV/CUV tire?

Because OP is putting them on an Altima 2.5 SV.
This vehicle weighs 3100# (per Google).
The LX25 was designed for, as you note "Small SUV's". (Conti's website shows it on a Ford Escape)
The CX3 weighs 2950#, the Ford Escape weighs 3300# in some trims/years. The 2019 RAV4 LE weighs 3371#.

Basically, because this tire was designed for a vehicle that weighs what OP's vehicle weighs, and the LX20's I had on my 2015 CX5 (3500#) were amazing.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
Check out the lx25's

Why a SUV/CUV tire?

The LX25 was designed for, as you note "Small SUV's". (Conti's website shows it on a Ford Escape)
The CX3 weighs 2950#, the Ford Escape weighs 3300# in some trims/years. The 2019 RAV4 LE weighs 3371#.

Basically, because this tire was designed for a vehicle that weighs what OP's vehicle weighs, and the LX20's I had on my 2015 CX5 (3500#) were amazing.

Yep, modern vehicles are pretty heavy. Plus most of the crossover/suv/whatevers on the road are basically just lifted hatchback cars to give people that higher seating position and easier entrance and exit. Altima shares a platform with the Murano and Pathfinder for instance.

Yeah, I want to stick with a passenger car tire that is smooth, quiet, good riding with good wet & foul weather abilities. Most tires in the category are already good at getting good fuel economy. Or at least the ones on my short list.

And I want tires with decent emergency handling for those unexpected situations. I'm not looking for a specific tire that is known for its handling abilities. If I wanted that, I would just buy that!

I want tires that handle the unexpected, while driving normally. Also, some good snow traction is a plus but not the top of the list as we have dedicated winter tires. But, I'd still like a tire with decent snow traction in case we have an early snowfall before I get to install the winter/snows.

Although I have owned & still recommended the RT43 and they're still on my short list, I am looking for something with the RT43 overall abilities but, quieter still. I actually liked the RT43s ride comfort and bump absorption over broken pavement and though I didn't think they were LOUD, I could still hear'em rolling down the road. I mean, the RT43 aren't as quiet as P7s or MXV4s.

Last edited:
Lx20 was quieter than Inrecall rt43 being. Lx25 is alleged quieter still. P7s do horrible in wet weather testing I've seen, and the MX4 is several generations old. If you dont want LX25s, I'd go rt43.

It's not that I don't want the LX20/25 but, I've never heard of them. Who makes'em? I mean, I'll look into them.

I've had P7s(and P4s) and loved'em both. And regardless of testing, I've never had issue with them in the wet. ATMOF, I though they were the best tires I've ever had. I currently have MXV4 and they're really quiet, old or not. But, I wouldn't buy'em again either! Way too much money for and average performer. They are quiet though!
smile.gif

What kind of roads are you driving?

in my experience, continentals have a niche. I am fond of them from other experiences but have had personal experience with sidewall blowout from a mild road hazard, reflected by many, many reviews over the years on tire rack. Continentals seem to have a design that favors a certain driving characteristic which unfortunately involves lighter sidewalls. My ex had a highway blowout when the tires were about half way through their tread. My son has oem continentals on a 2018 civic and it's already got a bulged sidewall on one.

Consider cooper CS4/5 and bridgestone integrity

Originally Posted by Char Baby
It's not that I don't want the LX20/25 but, I've never heard of them. Who makes'em? I mean, I'll look into them.

I've had P7s(and P4s) and loved'em both. And regardless of testing, I've never had issue with them in the wet. ATMOF, I though they were the best tires I've ever had. I currently have MXV4 and they're really quiet, old or not. But, I wouldn't buy'em again either! Way too much money for and average performer. They are quiet though!
smile.gif

Continental.

The LX20 also scores very well on Tire Rack and with CR. My personal experience jives with it. Traction in the rain was such that I did not have to alter driving patterns on mountain curvy roads, although I did for the most part. Also did well in white-out snow storms. Can't wait to rip the POS Toyo A36's off my car and put LX25's on and see how those are.

Originally Posted by meep

in my experience, continentals have a niche. I am fond of them from other experiences but have had personal experience with sidewall blowout from a mild road hazard, reflected by many, many reviews over the years on tire rack. Continentals seem to have a design that favors a certain driving characteristic which unfortunately involves lighter sidewalls. My ex had a highway blowout when the tires were about half way through their tread. My son has oem continentals on a 2018 civic and it's already got a bulged sidewall on one.

My daily commute is 20 miles curvy mountain roads, 20-30 miles of 80mph freeway, 10 miles of 60mph county roads without much curve or elevation change, and about 2 miles of #4 and #67 gravel mix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meep

I drive on normal roads. City, hiwy, town type driving. Nothing extreme. Some pothole & broken pavement just like everyone else. And we cruise out of state for some nice get-a-ways.

I currently have a set of older Cooper CS4(bought the last year they were made) on another set of wheels that I actually use for the winter. They're from another Altima that I had.

They're an all season tire that does quite well in the snow. But, I wouldn't call'em quiet or good riding. They are good cornering though!
smile.gif
The CS5 would probably be much better. Hard to fine good reviews on the CS5s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
Check out the lx25's

Why a SUV/CUV tire?

It's not available in 215/55r17, so that scratches the LX25 off the list.

Right, the LX20/25 don't come in either size for my vehicles as they really are a dedicated CUV/SUV tire in their available sizes. Nice looking tire BTW however, being what they are, they still may not meet my criteria for our everyday sedans.

I put them on my 17 SantaFe SE AWD. They work well in all weather conditions. They are a little noisy, but then again, I have noticed that usually is the old worn and ignored pavement in my area. Get on new pavement and the sound just disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back