What would make BITOG better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edhackett
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
We're deviating from the point... You need a balance of knowledge and experience. That was my point.

For that particular test I mentioned above, those two oils were put together by the owner of the lubcricants company. Oil A was formulated very robust and oil B matched a single parameter of oil A (KV @ 50-60°C) and deviated from there. Oil B performed worse in all lab tests including HTHS, NOACK, and with a weaker anti-wear package. Yet, when run in A-B-A against oil A in a 1300+hp race engine in the same race conditions for the same service life, oil B showed a 78% drop in iron wear in UOA (48 ppm vs 11 ppm). This was confirmed in 2 engines. Everybody from myself, the shop hand, to the owner and formulators are scratching our heads. It was even run through sequence IVA for cam wear and showed higher wear rates. But when put in the field in a much more powerful engine, much more aggressive cam, and higher rpm, it showed a major reduction in wear.

UOA does not measure wear. It's quite possible to have high wear and low wear metals or high wear metals and low wear present in a UOA due to the particle size distribution. Abnormal wear generally creates larger particles that are not seen in a standard UOA.

Ed

It wasn't just in the UOA. The cams were removed and mic'd in both engines before and after the use of each oil and confirmed the results of the UOAs.

It wasn't just in the UOA. The cams were removed and mic'd in both engines before and after the use of each oil and confirmed the results of the UOAs.

thumbsup2.gif

The mastermind behind both oils is a very reputable oil guy. He's written 7 books on oil and additives, and he's working on his 8th now. These tests were material for that 8th book.
Yet, when run in A-B-A against oil A in a 1300+hp race engine in the same race conditions for the same service life, oil B showed a 78% drop in iron wear in UOA (48 ppm vs 11 ppm). This was confirmed in 2 engines.

Mr. Mastermind may be very reputable but appears to be inconsistent in his formulations.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The mastermind behind both oils is a very reputable oil guy. He's written 7 books on oil and additives, and he's working on his 8th now. These tests were material for that 8th book.
Yet, when run in A-B-A against oil A in a 1300+hp race engine in the same race conditions for the same service life, oil B showed a 78% drop in iron wear in UOA (48 ppm vs 11 ppm). This was confirmed in 2 engines.

Mr. Mastermind may be very reputable but appears to be inconsistent in his formulations.

His point was to show that what works best in the lab isn't always what works best in the field. He proved exactly that.

My point is that he's doing the wrong tests then, or is performing them improperly. Proper testing is expensive and complicated and I doubt some of these race oil guys have the resources to do it correctly. Maybe they leave it to their customers instead?

Who is the author of the books ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back