2019 Subaru Dual X-Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't believe how good my '18 forester XT was in X Mode. My 08 Forester was like 2WD in comparison. Its that good.

be careful not to blow the CVT!!! big warranty i know + for good reason to buy a manual!!

There's no X-mode on the manual: it's a purely mechanical system. Actually, do Subaru even make manual Foresters any more?

I'm not sure that spinning wheels would have any effect on the CVT because the AWD system is behind the CVT. I guess maybe having the CVT putting out lots of torque with nothing to push against might be an issue.

Otherwise, this looks cool. The only problems I've had with the original X-Mode were when no wheel could reliably get traction. This looks like it will handle many of those cases.

Originally Posted by benjy
be careful not to blow the CVT!!! big warranty i know + for good reason to buy a manual!!

TFL got into argument with SUbaru over x-mode as they managed to get through Gold Mine trail with cars such as RAV4, but not Outback using X-Mode.
CVT! CVT! CVT!

I'm sure this will make its way to the Crosstrek at some point.

I didn't like the "old" X-Mode in my FXT very much when I tried it, but I probably didn't have a proper understanding of what it was trying to do.
I use my paddle shifters in bad winter conditions and love them for that...their slow response doesn't matter when I'm only going 20mph, anyway.

Other than hill descent.. meh. Everyone else is doing this stuff automatically without mode selection.

Eta: wow. I am blown away. Finished watching and...why is Subaru so popular for their awd? That junk shuts down like a dead dog in slick conditions. No way I'd be able to use this to get around in the winter.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Other than hill descent.. meh. Everyone else is doing this stuff automatically without mode selection.

Eta: wow. I am blown away. Finished watching and...why is Subaru so popular for their awd? That junk shuts down like a dead dog in slick conditions. No way I'd be able to use this to get around in the winter.

Does it have to be repeated again? CVT!

Originally Posted by buster
I'm sure this will make its way to the Crosstrek at some point.

Nah, larger Subaru's provide enough mediocrity.

Originally Posted by edyvw

TFL got into argument with SUbaru over x-mode as they managed to get through Gold Mine trail with cars such as RAV4, but not Outback using X-Mode.
CVT! CVT! CVT!

What?!?!?
The AWD system in my old RAV4 V6 was crude as [censored]...it loved to bring the back end around on ice.
The front wheels would slip and then ALL the power went back to the rear....WHOOOSHHH here comes the back end of the car wanting to trade places with the front!
The workaround was to punch the electronic 4WD drive button first and then it would behave...until it shut itself off at 25mph.
It got me around in winter, but it was hardly sophisticated...the system in my FXT eats its lunch AND dinner.
Maybe they improved the RAV4's AWD when they dumped the V6 option that was the only thing that made the vehicle possibly worthwhile to me?

It's so easy for a few here to blame the CVT for anything.

This Dual X Mode sounds like the regular X Mode with some drive selections added.

I'll be the first to admit the CVT is not the transmission to have for low speed off roading. Its major weakness is torque capacity, and when coupled with a torque converter that boosts engine torque output at low speeds, the engine, transmission, and drivetrain electronics have to dance around to keep the CVT from getting smoked in a low speed situation where 3 wheels are being braked for traction.
On normal roads or mild off roading subaru system is fine or maybe better than a lot of competitors. It probably would be better if subaru's marketing people didn't overhype its capabilities for off roading, but whatever, for 99% of buyers in 99% of their driving its probably better than alot of competitors. Toyota is working on CVT's with a real gear 1st gear to address the high torque at low speeds vulnerability of the CVT and perhaps it will make an appearance in a subaru soon.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This Dual X Mode sounds like the regular X Mode with some drive selections added.

Yeah, pretty much. From my understanding, Dual X Mode disables traction control and the Collision Avoidance portion of Eyesight. Doing it via knob or touch screen just makes it easier than going through various menus to disable the different drive selections.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Maybe they improved the RAV4's AWD when they dumped the V6 option
As I understand it, the new 2019 RAV4 only has AWD on the Hybrid. The rear drive has it's own dedicated electric motor. The combined horsepower is 219 which is no slouch in it's class, but is is still substantially lower than the V/6's 269. Performance is reasonably good at 7.4 seconds 0-60 (6.3 on the V/6), gas mileage is excellent at 41/37 mpg (best in class).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

CVT! CVT! CVT!

What?!?!?
The AWD system in my old RAV4 V6 was crude as [censored]...it loved to bring the back end around on ice.
The front wheels would slip and then ALL the power went back to the rear....WHOOOSHHH here comes the back end of the car wanting to trade places with the front!
The workaround was to punch the electronic 4WD drive button first and then it would behave...until it shut itself off at 25mph.
It got me around in winter, but it was hardly sophisticated...the system in my FXT eats its lunch AND dinner.
Maybe they improved the RAV4's AWD when they dumped the V6 option that was the only thing that made the vehicle possibly worthwhile to me?

You can easily find on Youtube. RAV4, BMW X3, VW Atlas etc, etc. all made it up. Nissan pathfinder and Mitsubishi gave up due to CVT cutting off, only recently they managed to get OB over last obstacle after like 10 attempts and not using same measurement. All other vehicles made it with two wheels in the air, OB made it with all on the ground as CVT was cutting off if wheels were up, X-Mode or not.
I know what kind of AWD RAV4 has. I have similar in Sienna, it is probably least sophisticated on the market. However, with snow tires I was dancing aaround Subaru's in snow that had all seasons. Whether AWD in RAV4 is POS or not, it made it up.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
This is one of the more reliable trolls in any thread in which the Subaru marque is mentioned.
His use of YouTube as a source of validation tells any reader all they need to know.
Yeah, okay edy, you know more than all of us long-time Subaru owners.
I mean, really?

Originally Posted by wag123
Maybe they improved the RAV4's AWD when they dumped the V6 option
As I understand it, the new 2019 RAV4 only has AWD on the Hybrid. The rear drive has it's own dedicated electric motor. The combined horsepower is 219 which is no slouch in it's class, but is is still substantially lower than the V/6's 269. Performance is reasonably good at 7.4 seconds 0-60 (6.3 on the V/6), gas mileage is excellent at 41/37 mpg (best in class).

All RAV4's can be optioned as AWD.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
This is one of the more reliable trolls in any thread in which the Subaru marque is mentioned.
His use of YouTube as a source of validation tells any reader all they need to know.
Yeah, okay edy, you know more than all of us long-time Subaru owners.
I mean, really?

So when did you do Gold Mine Hill?
All Subaru selling point is video based. Customers with dogs venturing off road looking for love. Well, than they should be able to do it. Or family driving and than slamming into garbage truck. Father looking his wife in slow motion dying, than daughter, than son, than after he was witness in death of his family, he dies. Than, if he had Subaru he would be fine. Too bad no one told him car is not welded.

Last edited:
What kind of drivel are you spouting? It's plain and clear you don't like Subaru. Why keep pushing the agenda? Are you trying to convince the rest of us that your opinion is worth anything?

It is time to stop this trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back