My new rig - 1987 Ford Econoline 27' Glendale RV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend and I made a deal on this party machine yesterday. Carbureted 460 and C6 transmission. About 80k miles. The 460 sounds like new, oil looked like new even though it had been sitting for months, maybe a year.

It's getting safetied next week and we should have it in our possession by next weekend. Can't wait to do some local camping, within an hour of here. Obviously gas mileage will not be the best, so we're not planning any long trips for a while.

IMG_20190715_193239.jpg

IMG_20190715_185545.jpg

IMG_20190715_191304.jpg

IMG_20190715_185934.jpg

IMG_20190715_185813.jpg

IMG_20190715_190001.jpg

IMG_20190715_185908.jpg

IMG_20190715_185810.jpg

I would go over it and replace anything original rubber, belts, hoses, seals, should be reliable.

Do a fluids, chassis grease job, rubbers/seals, should be good.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good suggestions and nice comments. I will definitely do a grease job, check all fluids, repack the wheel bearings. It was previously owned by a race car driver who took it to race tracks all over. It appears he took good care of it. Belts all look newer, pulleys have been off and painted, the 460 doesn't appear to leak a drop anywhere.

I'll change the oil after the first drive just because I don't know how long it's been. Going to put stabilizer in the gas immediately because I don't know how old the half a tank is. I was happy to see oil pressure stayed well above half even after it warned up idling.

My girlfriend wants to get rid of the carpet and update it a bit but I like the 80s look myself. Even the pink doesn't really bother me. lol

Something going on on the front edges of the bunk, looks like the PO fixed a problem. Get up on top and look every seam over carefully as well as any vents etc. They all leak, have leaked, or will leak. Old RVs are fun (but) can turn into another hobby keeping everything working.

My dad had one similar, seems like he was JB welding the exhaust manifolds every so often.

Good times ahead!

I don't know a lot about RVs other than that yes leaks are common. Her uncle looked over the roof the other day and said the only reason it's still good is that it's a 1 piece aluminum roof instead of panels. He fixed the back corners where the sides had popped out and he had to replace the wood and seal it back up. I hadn't noticed the bunk thing, but I will keep a close look out for any leaks. The good thing it doesn't smell like there's any water getting in at the moment.

I want to keep it the way it is, but it looks like we'll be pulling up the carpet and replacing it with flooring of some kind next year if we decide we want to keep it.

That looks in pretty fine shape! It was definitely well maintained. I see you have the mandatory RV accessory - the flyswatter. I bet that will be a tick box on the safety inspection next week.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back