No more Champion plugs for me LOOK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by justintendo
im betting those are forgeries..i dont care for champions..but i have never seen plugs that looked like that

That seems really weird. I've purchased many quality Champion plugs.

If they are not fakes, I suspect Chinese origin.

Ok, I spoke too soon on my previous post. It looks like they are perfectly legit Champion made in USA.
Here ya go.

plugs4.jpg

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by bchannell
Ok, I spoke too soon on my previous post. It looks like they are perfectly legit Champion made in USA.
Here ya go.

Labels are one of the easiest things to forge...

Any colour copier could make that plus look how smeared
the UPC code is.

Back in the 90's I bought some Champions for my 5.0 Mustang. I carefully gapped them and installed them. I removed one immediately for some reason. Cant remember why. I think they just didn't feel right going in. Anyway, I found the gap had opened up about 3 times as wide as I had gapped it. I removed the others I had installed. They were the same way. I remember there were about 3 uninstalled. So I installed another freshly gapped one into one of the remaining holes. It opened up the exact same way as the others.
Weird.
But it was enough for me to return them and install some 99 cent Bosch copper plugs. I left those inexpensive plugs in there for 60k miles and then inspected them. The copper electrode looked very good, so I put them back in. Drove it for I don't know how long and then sold the car, still running perfectly.
The Champions opening up the gap when torqued was enough for me to never buy any champion product ever again. Reinforcing the issue was remembering having problems with fouling Champions on my '68 Camaro back in the late 80's.
I guess I'm "Never Champion."
Have been for nearly 25 years.

Back in the '70s I worked in a VW shop. Champion plugs were noted for seizing in the aluminum cylinder heads of the cars. I personally won't use them.

Well, I'm returning them, so I'm not going to gripe too much as they were returnable. I dunno if they're counterfeits or not, look genuine to my eye. Just for the record, that bar code is a glare, not a smudge, but I know it looks funny, just wanted to clear that up.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I got them on ebay, so it's highly believable that they are counterfeit, who knows?

Then I suggest your thread title be changed to"No more EBay parts for me LOOK!"...

+1

I know, I've heard don't buy Champion, don't buy Fram, yatta, yatta, yatta, but I've had good luck with Fram, and until this one, Champion too. So, I ordered a 24 pack of CJ14 plugs for the tractors in our family/neighborhood, and they came today, nicely packaged in styrofoam and sitting pretty. Well, probably over a third of them have the insulators in the plug waaaay crooked. another third of them have an electrode that over reaches the tip by a mile, and the rest have the ground electrode crooked as all get out, the latter of which is repairable, but man this is some crappy quality control. There is I think one or two "passable" plugs in the whole 24 pack, and even they are not as good as a typical NGK or Autolite. I just can't believe it. I tried to take some pics and you can get the idea on some of them, but it's really pretty shabby.

It looks used items or fake plugs to me based on the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back