Next Project: 1968 Cub Cadet Model 72

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked this up a few days ago in Portage, WI at Tractor Daze (a large Garden Tractor show).

I'm just about to start the tear down. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but this one won't be put back to "stock"

IMG_20190715_210556.jpg

IMG_20190715_210619.jpg

Last edited:
I like those snow tires, i think we had the same ones in the 70's on one of my dads cars .

Thats an awesome tractor ! nothing built today will match that for strength sturdiness

Had one of those back in the late 70s when I bought my first house. A stout machine.
It was a sad day when IH sold it off to MTD....

Originally Posted by hemitom
I like those snow tires, i think we had the same ones in the 70's on one of my dads cars .

Those are the ORIGINAL 50 year old tires that came on these from the factory!

Originally Posted by Donald
Don't tractors have four wheels?

Yes, of course. One was flat, so I took them off right away. I'll media blast them, powder coat, and then have a nice set of small Ag tires installed. The rears will be next....

I think I'm going to take the tractor apart, thoroughly de-grease, scrub and "sand" it down a bit, and perhaps clear coat over the "patina"....but install nice nice big new rims and tires, and a small exhaust stack with rain flapper

Originally Posted by Linctex

They sure are!!! Almost all these old Cub's come with the original tires still holding air. Crazy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Phishin

Originally Posted by Linctex

They sure are!!! Almost all these old Cub's come with the original tires still holding air. Crazy.

Isn't that something? I've seen some ~50yr/old JDs and Case garden tractors with the original rear rubber as well. Front tires, not so much.

Looks like a great project either way Phishin. I look forward to some pics!

I got some wider rims and some big rubber for it recently. Installed these last night..... Looking mean!!

IMG_20190806_194431.jpg

IMG_20190806_194445.jpg

IMG_20190806_204857.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I did to "restore" the patina

1.) Simple Green and Scotchbrite pad to thoroughly degrease
2.) 3 parts Muriatic Acid, 1 part CLR. Scrub with fresh Scotchbrite pad to remove rust and further age the finish.
3.) Rinse 347 times and let dry
4.) Brush on 2 coats of straight oil-based Penetrol with 3-4 days drying time between coats.

I'm loving the results.....compare the BEFORE pics above to where she's at today:

IMG_20190925_170125.jpg

IMG_20190917_183901.jpg

IMG_20190917_183954.jpg

Love everything about it!

I didn't realize penetrol could be used that way. It basically hardens like a clear coat?

Originally Posted by JTK
Love everything about it!

I didn't realize penetrol could be used that way. It basically hardens like a clear coat?

Yes, but it wasn't my idea. I read somewhere online a few guys have been using it with success when I searched "patina preservation"....one guy was really into preserving old snowmobiles and was using Penetrol with success.

It's UV resistant and it "creeps" really well into every seam, nook, and cranny when you brush it on. It does a WONDERFUL job of sealing off the metal and rust. It's action is similar to Krown. However, this stuff hardens.
It's really glossy once dried....as you can see in the pics above. I love this stuff now!!!

If you've ever tried to "clear coat" a non-perfect surface (like this tractor) you'd have a great outcome, but in short time, it will begin to crack and peel and leave you with a nasty mess. Clear coat is great, but it perfect a near-perfect fresh paint job to adhere to. Penetrol does the job better.

I media blasted the plow and undercarriage. Primered and painted it flat black to match the wheels. She's done. Ready to snow duty.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks guys. Looking forward to putting her to work this winter......More to come when the snow flies.

I'm anxious to see how those big rear meats will on asphalt covered in snow. Several people told me I'll need chains, other claim that the rubber tire straps work better....we'll see. I'm not buying nothing until I see how it works as is.

I would think aired down a bit those rear honkers would be as good as any snow hog snowblower tire. I've never had the need to put chains on my snowblower tires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back