Apollo 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apollo 11 launched 50 years ago today. Wednesday, July 24th will be the 50 th Anniversary of the Moon Landing. Get your parties planned. All the boomers will remember it.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
I was in high school. I remember staying up to see the first steps onto the moon. An unforgettable experience.

I've been listening the the BBC Podcast "13 minutes to the Moon"

The latest episode was the audio from the 13 minute powered descent.

Well, 20 July was the landing and 24 July, IIRC was the return to earth. But yeah, it was 50 years ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Apollo 11 launched 50 years ago today. Wednesday, July 24th will be the 50 th Anniversary of the Moon Landing. Get your parties planned. All the boomers will remember it.
banana2.gif

banana2.gif

Edit: Landing was on July 20 th, 1969.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
An incredible achievement by the United States of America.

Some of the engineers at NASA were Canadians who came over from the cancelled Avro Arrow program in Canada.
smile.gif

I've read lots about the Apollo program, and it's so remarkable that in about 8 years we went from a suborbital flight in a Mercury capsule, through the Gemini program to the Apollo 11 landing. "Moon Shot" was an exciting read, as well as "Men From Earth", "Lost Moon", and "Apollo 8". I also like the TV documentary "Moon Shot" that has lots of footage of the program and interviews with the astronauts. Can watch that one on Youtube.

I remember it well. All of us kids ran to one friends house because they had just purchased a brand new color console television. Of course the broadcast was in black and white.

I hope we go back someday soon.

I'm reading the book "Operation Paperclip" right now. Amazing story of German scientists and their work in the USA. In particular, the rocket scientists.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
An incredible achievement by the United States of America.

Some of the engineers at NASA were Canadians who came over from the cancelled Avro Arrow program in Canada.
smile.gif

And they came to the United States from the failed Avro Arrow project. The United States was the only country on earth that had the capabilities to go to the moon.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by Lapham3
Walter Cronkite made it pretty clear that he loved the space program and hated the Vietnam war. He was a good man, but kinda lost his journalistic integrity a bit

I *think* Walter Cronkite lost a Son (Marine Lieutenant?) in VietNam, didn't he?

Ed

no he did not.
his only son Walter (Chip) Cronkite III(b.1957) wasn't old enough to be in Vietnam, and is still alive. Married to Actress Deborah Rush.Their Son, Walter IV works for CBS news.

Re: Vietnam:
In mid-February 1968, on the urging of his executive producer Ernest Leiser, Cronkite and Leiser journeyed to Vietnam to cover the aftermath of the Tet Offensive. They were invited to dine with General Creighton Abrams, the commander of all forces in Vietnam, whom Cronkite knew from World War II. According to Leiser, Abrams told Cronkite, "we cannot win this Goddamned war, and we ought to find a dignified way out."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Cronkite#Vietnam_War

Thanks, I stand corrected. The landing was 3:17 EST on July 20th, 1969. That means the parties will be this Saturday. Perfect.
smile.gif

Be careful at those parties with drinking and driving. Important now as it was then.

I was 12 and at a Boy Scout camp deep in the woods in Pennsylvania. Someone brought in a B&W TV and rigged up an antenna in the mess hall. Everyone crowded in and watched. It was snowing on the moon but we watched history being made.

Wait, that can't be 50 years ago...

HBO re-releasing From Earth to the Moon today...going to try to watch it..missed it the first go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back