2015 Silverado, 5.3L, Schaeffer's 9000 5w20, 6800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is the second UOA for my 2015 Silverado with ~67k miles on the clock. For whatever reason OAI didn't attach this UOA to the previous one, however, this UOA nearly mirrors the first UOA. I'm taking it that sodium is an additive in Schaeffer's at this point as I'm losing no coolant whatsoever. Wear looks good in my opinion and I could push this on out past 7,500 miles if I chose to. This UOA was with Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5w20 and a Motorcraft FL500S filter.

Thoughts?

uoa2.jpg

OAI/Polaris analyst has on average 60 seconds per sample to evaluate and complete. Not surprised their interpretation is way off.

If you use the same Component ID and Secondary ID they should have shown both. You can email them and tell them to combine them.

From a VOA in 2018, Schaeffer had over 400 ppm sodium. They have Non-Disclosure Agreements with manufacturers for oil profiles, and should have not flagged sodium. Apparently they did not look at the profile. Again they have only 60 seconds to complete.

The copper content is extremely high. OAI/Polaris have arbitrary wear limits, often much higher than real world averages and limits. They do not track lube time, and claim it is irrelevant which tells you much about their reports.

The margin for error for Nickel is +/- 1.3 ppm at this low value, and the range for even considering it is 5-40 per ASTM. Again another bogus flagging.

The TBN method they use does not show the full reserve capacity of anti-oxidant additives, add 2-3 points for the real value.

What was your copper content from the last report?

I don't know why the color scan is so grainy. Let's try black and white.

UOA .jpg

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
OAI/Polaris analyst has on average 60 seconds per sample to evaluate and complete. Not surprised their interpretation is way off.

If you use the same Component ID and Secondary ID they should have shown both. You can email them and tell them to combine them.

From a VOA in 2018, Schaeffer had over 400 ppm sodium. They have Non-Disclosure Agreements with manufacturers for oil profiles, and should have not flagged sodium. Apparently they did not look at the profile. Again they have only 60 seconds to complete.

The copper content is extremely high. OAI/Polaris have arbitrary wear limits, often much higher than real world averages and limits. They do not track lube time, and claim it is irrelevant which tells you much about their reports.

The margin for error for Nickel is +/- 1.3 ppm at this low value, and the range for even considering it is 5-40 per ASTM. Again another bogus flagging.

The TBN method they use does not show the full reserve capacity of anti-oxidant additives, add 2-3 points for the real value.

What was your copper content from the last report?

Copper was 43 ppm on the last wear report.
What would cause the copper wear?

Who is the a reliable company for UOA's now?

Here's a UOA from another 5.3 from a BS report and it contains the universal average for your engine. The copper is 42 ppm for 6800 miles, so I would not worry about it a bit.

Your iron level is lower than the universal average.

Good report

Originally Posted by jbutch
Here's a UOA from another 5.3 from a BS report and it contains the universal average for your engine. The copper is 42 ppm for 6800 miles, so I would not worry about it a bit.

Your iron level is lower than the universal average.

Good report

Awesome, that's good to know.

I agree that the sodium is probably and additive. Many automotive oils use sodium. It is always good to send a fresh oil sample if you aren't sure.

I've seen many engine oil reports and the copper level looks normal. I do not think it is concerning at all, but since nickel is typically valve wear even a little bit can be alarming. Keep an eye out for rising fuel dilution.

Based on my understanding of TBN methods, the method published on oil spec sheets is falsely inflated. Not the other way around. I've found a lot of articles about ASTM D4739 being a better test for used oil than ASTM D2896.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back