Oregon highway 101 and Subarus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Reggaemon
In the summer those Subarus just can't get out of the way, but in the winter they have all slid off the road and people complain about that.
Seems like those Subarus are just a pain in the butt.
28.gif
smirk.gif

We were in the Oregon area for the first time last weekend.
I can attest at the staggering number of Subaru vehicles. Even my GF who doesn't car about cars much made mention on how almost every second vehicle is a Subaru.
I replied that years ago the predecessor to Subaru littering the PNW area, there was Volvo. This can be observed by the big blue Jim Fisher "VOLVO" sign in downtown Portland.

Folks in the PNW seem to enjoy troublesome, finicky vehicles.
27.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Reggaemon
In the summer those Subarus just can't get out of the way, but in the winter they have all slid off the road and people complain about that.
Seems like those Subarus are just a pain in the butt.
28.gif
smirk.gif

We were in the Oregon area for the first time last weekend.
I can attest at the staggering number of Subaru vehicles. Even my GF who doesn't car about cars much made mention on how almost every second vehicle is a Subaru.
I replied that years ago the predecessor to Subaru littering the PNW area, there was Volvo. This can be observed by the big blue Jim Fisher "VOLVO" sign in downtown Portland.

Folks in the PNW seem to enjoy troublesome, finicky vehicles.
27.gif

Around twenty years ago I used to see a lot of Peugeot running around. Hardly saw them anywhere else.

Subaru is very popular in the PNW.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Agree. The Tacoma area is just horrific. After twenty years of construction with several more years to go, I tend to avoid it. The speed has been lowered to 50mph as it should be but the accidents keep happening. They really screwed the pooch on I-5 through Tacoma.

A 10 or 15 mile backup is nothing these days. A few weeks ago I was stuck in around 60 miles of backup.

The benefit on Oregon 101 is that you can view the Pacific Ocean and enjoy the fresh ocean air.

x2. The couple times I've been to the SeaTac area there was traffic at 4AM for miles. I thought Chicago had bad traffic but Tacoma easily takes the cake.

Around twenty years ago I used to see a lot of Peugeot running around. Hardly saw them anywhere else.

Peugeot?! as in the late 90's early 00's? You certain it wasn't closer to the 80s?

We had them in Canada in the 80's as well as a few Eastern Euro offerings such as Skoda, Lada and Renault.
By the end of the 80's/early 90's the only one left in Canada was Lada.
They finally bit the dust after the Koreans invaded with Hyundai.

Peugeot?! as in the late 90's early 00's? You certain it wasn't closer to the 80s?

We had them in Canada in the 80's as well as a few Eastern Euro offerings such as Skoda, Lada and Renault.

Might have been. My memory is not as good as it once was.

... We had them in Canada in the 80's as well as a few Eastern Euro offerings such as Skoda, Lada and Renault.
France isn't exactly in eastern Europe.
Hyundai invaded the US in the mid-'80s. Don't think Canada was that much later, if any.

Tacoma is horrible
The I-5 corridor horrible.
101 can be horrible too.
If I have to pass you with my truck and trailer to keep up with the flow please consider an alternate route. You sir/ma'am are part of the problem. I am super careful/patient when I tow. Most people are just inconsiderate.

If it was not one with aluminum brakes, do not brag about it
smile.gif

On 101 south of Yachats there is Cape Perpetua which has a turnout parking area so people can stop to check out the view. It's really a great place to stop but a lot of drivers hit the brakes there as cars try to get out from the roadside parking. I know it's there so I'm cautious but anyone not familiar with the area could be surprised, both with the view and the traffic dangers.

If you have ever seen the picture of the Heceta Head lighthouse then this is the place to get the real view.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
As a former Subaru Impreza owner and someone who considered buying a Crosstrek a few years ago, I can attest that newer Subarus, especially the Crosstrek, are terribly under-powered when compared to other cars on the market. 150-ish horsepower connected to a CVT in a car that size is absurd.

My Caliber, which weighs about the same as a Crosstrek, had 150ish horsepower and a CVT... gutless is an understatement.

Driving an underpowered car teaches you patience and how to plan your next move, since you have to plan WELL in advance. At least for me lol... I'm a far more calmer driver now.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
As a former Subaru Impreza owner and someone who considered buying a Crosstrek a few years ago, I can attest that newer Subarus, especially the Crosstrek, are terribly under-powered when compared to other cars on the market. 150-ish horsepower connected to a CVT in a car that size is absurd.

My Caliber, which weighs about the same as a Crosstrek, had 150ish horsepower and a CVT... gutless is an understatement.

Driving an underpowered car teaches you patience and how to plan your next move, since you have to plan WELL in advance. At least for me lol... I'm a far more calmer driver now.

IDK< it might be underpowered now. I learned overtaking on mountain roads in 55hp Zastava. We tend to forget that 150hp was some serious power not long ago.

Originally Posted by edyvw

IDK< it might be underpowered now. I learned overtaking on mountain roads in 55hp Zastava. We tend to forget that 150hp was some serious power not long ago.

I learned to drive in a 2004 Grand Caravan and the first car I ever bought myself was a 2011 Kia Forte Koup
wink.gif
I'm glad I'm young enough to have missed the (dis)pleasure of horrifically underpowered vehicles like that!

Who does Subaru market to?

People terrified of getting into an accident.

Of COURSE those people will drive slow.

..And dogs. [censored], you should be praising God that *those* drivers aren't chasing rabbits and squirrels all over the roadway!

I guess it all comes down to priorities... I can't remember the last time I passed someone, so the fact that they're "underpowered" really means nothing to me.. They're safe, get good mpg with those underpowered engines, and they have fantastic awd systems, all at a reasonable price.

Could I get something with more power, that's not awd, has crappier crash test ratings, for the same price? Yeah probably, but why? For the one time a year I need to pass someone?

Originally Posted by sxg6
I guess it all comes down to priorities... I can't remember the last time I passed someone, so the fact that they're "underpowered" really means nothing to me.. They're safe, get good mpg with those underpowered engines, and they have fantastic awd systems, all at a reasonable price.

Could I get something with more power, that's not awd, has crappier crash test ratings, for the same price? Yeah probably, but why? For the one time a year I need to pass someone?

All comes down to wants and needs. Plenty of vehicles out there with similar crash ratings and decent awd systems that have more power. Don't get me wrong, Subaru makes a great vehicle... but for me personally, the lack of power takes them out of consideration. And I don't even drive fast, I very rarely exceed 2500rpm when accelerating in my 300. Just knowing I have it in case I need it makes me happy though.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's the people too. I think they think they're going to "hurt" the car.

I fly up the hills in my Sonata and pass nice cars with turbos and V8's etc. and my Sonata is certainly not fast.

Yeah, that fantastic AWD system, which is by the way advertised as answer to anything, is responsible for 99% of Subaru drivers driving on absolutely horrific tires in winter.
When it is icy, last car I want to see behind me is Subaru.

I learned to drive in a 2004 Grand Caravan and the first car I ever bought myself was a 2011 Kia Forte Koup
wink.gif
I'm glad I'm young enough to have missed the (dis)pleasure of horrifically underpowered vehicles like that!

You have no idea what you missed. Every time you overtake semi you feel alive and accomplished.

Yeah, that fantastic AWD system, which is by the way advertised as answer to anything, is responsible for 99% of Subaru drivers driving on absolutely horrific tires in winter.
When it is icy, last car I want to see behind me is Subaru.

Maybe you need to drive faster to get away from them Subarus edyvw
lol.gif

Because I bet them World champions are driving too fast for those snowy conditions to boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back