I wish my Camaro was this color!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time customers car, 1998 Camaro SS, LS1/4L60E. The only gold Camaro we ever sold.....He ordered it from the Chevy dealer I worked at in '97.
Yes....It was special ordered (Sport Gold Metallic).

This car has been very reliable for 135,xxx miles.....Other than maintenance, It's needed.....
AIR check valves
Water pump....'97 & '98 LSx pumps died early.
RAP relay resoldered on the BCM board
Pinion seal....(GM Warranty)
A/C compressor (V7 Harrison "Belly Leaker")

He called me & said the cooling stack needed cleaning as it was running warmer than usual.....He knows his cars well & we went though this on his 2002 Anniversary Z28 Convertible with 250,xxx miles.
He has long haired dogs & their hair gets in the cooling stacks.....We decided to replace the original 22 year old radiator & clean the condenser.

Picture of the condenser, Radiator was worse! Got caught-up cleaning the condenser & didn't get a picture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Definitely a very rare color. I haven't seen too many of those around. My favorite Camaro body style.

SGM (gold metallic). One of a number of scarce colors for the 1998-2002 Camaro's and Firebirds. A lot of the LS1 faithful don't really like it....or won't pay a premium for it. SOM (orange metallic) is the color that gets the most attention.

Cool to see the original exhaust on that 1998 SGM with the SOTL....single on the left. Very few of those are still left unaltered. And 1998's as a rule are the scarcest year of the 1998-2002. You just don't see many 98 SS's....compared to the very common 2001-2002's. One big plus with the 1998's is that the hardtops/TTop cars built before around April 1998 don't have the issue with the roof pain bubbling up if left out in the hot sun. The entire rest of the run of these cars is affected.

This early '98 has a perfect Sail Panel.....My '01 has some bubbling even though it's been garaged most it's life. It's Black....So it doesn't stand out so much.

Never cared for the SOM cars......Different strokes I guess.

My 98 SS ran hot in the summer in Southern California, at drive thru's I turned on the A/C and it would activate the A/C fan and cool down the coolant temp to 215/210 in maybe 20-30 seconds.

That poor car was driven 28 miles each way to work on surface streets during the week days, and could Not make it back and fourth 3 whole days on a tank of fuel. Something was wrong with the accelerator, if you pushed just a little bit with your right foot, it just seemed to go right to the floor! Car was No pig! The Mustangs hated it! Black on Black, ate rear tires, and fuel!

The only mod to this car is Cooler Fan-On temperatures,
Low Speed.....195°
High Speed.....210°
A/C head pressure psi enables are left stock.

Stock is.....
Low Speed....226°
High Speed ...234°

Years ago when these were new there was one that ran around here.
I love tis color, but I love the SOM cars too!

I had a 2001 WS.6 (hence...). Those cars were so far ahead of their time. They're STILL competitive, running 12's bone stock with a good driver on a good track on street tires.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
A stock '01.

That's the color of my '02; light pewter metallic. But I had the dealer paint my roof body color before I took delivery. They couldn't believe it, and called me to confirm before doing the work. I tend to buy vehicles in muted colors that won't stand out in traffic. But I really liked the light pewter metallic because I thought it looked fantastic under city lights at night. By the time I decided to order a 2002, GM was painting the tops of all Z28's black to differentiate them from plain Camaros, but I didn't like the black roof.

That's the same wheels that came on mine, but I bought 17" SS 10-spoke wheels for summer/track tires. I have Blizzaks on the original 16's for winter.
And mine's lowered 1.5" with Eibach springs.

Last edited:
Would have to be a screaming bargain for me to buy a gold painted car .

Maybe if it was cheap enough that I could get it professionally re-painted ?

I would not mind having a Camero , but I have no need for a car that would only carry 2 adults , comfortably . Then there is the insurance cost .

With these Camaro's now around 20 yrs old, the insurance cost is hardly any different than regular passenger cars. My 2001 Lincoln (50K miles) has a higher insurance premium than my 1999 SS Camaro (19K miles). But, if you're buying new muscle cars today, no doubt you're paying up for insurance. If you put an older SS or WS6 on collector's insurance, they are very inexpensive to insure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
With these Camaro's now around 20 yrs old, the insurance cost is hardly any different than regular passenger cars. My 2001 Lincoln (50K miles) has a higher insurance premium than my 1999 SS Camaro (19K miles). But, if you're buying new muscle cars today, no doubt you're paying up for insurance. If you put an older SS or WS6 on collector's insurance, they are very inexpensive to insure.

I dropped full coverage on mine because I barely drive it anymore. Liability and comp is 23 dollars a month.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The only mod to this car is Cooler Fan-On temperatures,
Low Speed.....195°
High Speed.....210°
A/C head pressure psi enables are left stock.

Stock is.....
Low Speed....226°
High Speed ...234°

I opted to install the SLP manual over-ride fan switch on my T56 LS1 2000 Z28 for stop and go 'parking lot' traffic jam emergencies.
wink.gif

I also used the Diablosport Predator hand held tuner to set the fan-on speeds MUCH lower in the summer, and higher in the winter, as it was a YEAR ROUND car, unlike most of them.

If I would have kept it, eventually it would have received a Griffin/whatever ALL alloy, multiple pass/row aftermarket radiator (like my current car in sig needs DESPERATELY! LOL).

Originally Posted by Ws6
I had a 2001 WS.6 (hence...). Those cars were so far ahead of their time. They're STILL competitive, running 12's bone stock with a good driver on a good track on street tires.
[Linked Image]

Mine ran mid 12s @ ~114 MPH despite having a 60 foot KILLING road race suspension, full size 17x9 fronts, and a huge Strano front sway bar on it!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back