new clutch shop $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Sentra 2.0 with 62000 miles on it, never gave me any problems until today, I was driving on the freeway when I lost the clutch, there was a big leak of clutch fluid and burning smell, the clutch pedal was super soft, no pressure.
So stooped the car and towed to a transmission shop, they told me I need a new clutch and master cylinder, and so far is going to cost me around $1500. Does it seems fair ?

Master cylinder failure does not mean new clutch. Unless it was the slave cylinder that failed and it's dumped fluid into the clutch, contaminating it. Maybe the burning smell was fluid spilling onto the exhaust. I'd get the shop to explain what leads them to think the clutch is bad, 62,000 is not very old for a clutch.

If you have to remove the transmission to get at the slave (some do, some don't) it would be foolish to not spend the extra $100 for a new clutch kit. Also ask about an engine rear main seal while in there.

A $1000 job costs $1500 in 2019 so yeah, seems fair 'nuf.

If it is the slave cylinder, atikovi may be right. It may not be accessible without removing the transmission. If that's the case, then yes, might as well do the clutch at the same time.

About that much was charged to swap out the master+slave on a coworker's Elantra. My other coworker, faced with that bill (same year/car) came to me for advice. We bled the thing, and his worked fine after that. However, while doing the bleed, I discovered that to replace the whole thing took maybe 10 bolts/nuts, and throwing parts in. The only thing that needed to come out was the air box, it was right on top. Literally easier to access the whole thing that the oil filter on the car. I'd look and see how it's mounted before giving up that much money.

I love cable operated clutches....I've never understood why hydraulic clutch became popular at all. They don't have good pedal feel and are harder to modulate when releasing the pedal. I have dry cable operated in my old 1996 VW Golf and it's perfect, no hydraulics to fail.

Slave & Clutch both call for 9 hours of labor.....With labor above $100 an hour, Plus parts, Shaving Flywheel.....I can see $1,500 being in the ballpark.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
62,000 is not very old for a clutch.
Not sure that clutch life can simply be based/judged by mileage. Some people can get 150k miles out of a clutch while others might get 25k miles.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Still lasted longer than a Nissan CVT.
Otherwise price seems reasonable by today's standards.

Not exactly always true....

275,000 miles on my CVT 2008 Altima VQ 3.5 L.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Congrats you won the Power Ball lottery of CVT units.
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

Well I don't never win anything really...

Good, bad or indifferent... The generation of CVT in my car was better than the one that came after. Plus my CVT was not programmed stupid from the factory. And the 3.5 motor is a better match for the CVT vs a smaller motor.

It sounds like a fair price. I would have them install a premium clutch like a Centerforce II if available for that application, and pay a little more for the quality. Some of these aftermarket clutches are real garbage.

I'm the only one here that says the original clutch with 62,000 miles on it is just fine and leave it alone.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by bbhero

Congrats you won the Power Ball lottery of CVT units.
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

An uncle of mine put 250K miles on a 41TE in a Caravan.

Still doesn't change the fact that I trust neither a 41TE or a Nissan CVT past 30K miles.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I'm the only one here that says the original clutch with 62,000 miles on it is just fine and leave it alone.

Nope, if I knew I was the driver...the clutch would just be getting broken in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back