Factory Delco battery same as Retail replacements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if the retail replacement Delco battery is the same as the factory supplied unit?

Worked for a Deere dealer, the factory supplied strong box (originally supplied in new units) was available to customers, and was a heavy duty unit, but cost more. Also, it was shipped dry without acid and had to be filled & charged before use. We sold a Exide replacement (supplied wet), wasn't the same quality IMHO.

Last edited:
My buddy has a 2010 Mazda 3 and the stock Panasonic battery lasted eight years in Toronto with him playing the radio while parked all the time. I've never seen a Panny battery available anywhere.

In general, batteries last longer in cooler areas than they do in hot. The shortest battery life in the United States is in the far southern states.

I have never seen Panasonic automotive batteries for sale anywhere as aftermarket parts. The one that came in my ECHO from Japan lasted nearly 12 years.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
My buddy has a 2010 Mazda 3 and the stock Panasonic battery lasted eight years in Toronto with him playing the radio while parked all the time. I've never seen a Panny battery available anywhere.

The Mazda replacement batteries are supplied to dealers through Interstate. They come from the Interstate truck but with Mazda labeling and Interstate handles cores and warranty reimbursements to the dealer.

Motorcraft batteries come from a Motorcraft distributor and they handle the core process and warranty reimbursement.

The Delco batteries are made by Johnson controls and the batteries I see on the GM assembly line floor look exactly like the one's you can buy in a store - AS LONG as its a fully sealed battery. AC Delco also makes low maintenance batteries that have removeable cell caps - those are not as good as the OEM fitted fully sealed battery.

I'm currently on the 2nd battery in my 2004 GMC Sierra, the OEM one lasted a very long time like 8-9 yrs worth but I went with a Napa when I had to replace it and is now starting to show it's age, I think this one has been in there about 6 yrs and I've used my load tester and it's now just starting to show as weak. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Delco which I may end up with since the local Napa has moved out.

I know this is a month old but I found it looking for something else. Battery in my 08 Saturn died in less than a year probably because the dealer left it dead for a while before somebody/me bought it. I worked for dealers and I know that is what happens. The Delco Professional replacement lasted nine years. I had another Delco Professional last nine. You will pay more at the dealer but you get a better battery than a Delco Advantage or whatever they call them at Menard's or wherever else they sell them.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
I know this is a month old but I found it looking for something else. Battery in my 08 Saturn died in less than a year probably because the dealer left it dead for a while before somebody/me bought it. I worked for dealers and I know that is what happens. The Delco Professional replacement lasted nine years. I had another Delco Professional last nine. You will pay more at the dealer but you get a better battery than a Delco Advantage or whatever they call them at Menard's or wherever else they sell them.

Happens all the time here too. Sales doesn't want to spend money on gas for the cars on the lot. We get bulletins from Ford and Mazda saying to run the cars for a certain number of minutes every week/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back