2017+ 6.7 powerstroke oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mbacfp
Never heard that about Delvac...used my last batch of CJ-4 this oil change. Suspecting Blackstone is not calculating my fuel dilution...going to try NAPA test next time.

The reason you haven't heard it is because that poster has a tired, old one-man vendetta against anything ExxonMobil and continually goes on about it here. There is no technical reason for avoiding it however.

He's been challenged on it by numerous others multiple times.

Dealer resealed the front cover and upper oil pan, checked the turbo to find nothing wrong (as I thought) and are now doing an oil consumption test. I'll bring the truck back in 1000 miles. They also changed the oil with 10w30 I'm curious to see if it drinks it faster than the 15w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
Dealer resealed the front cover and upper oil pan, checked the turbo to find nothing wrong (as I thought) and are now doing an oil consumption test. I'll bring the truck back in 1000 miles. They also changed the oil with 10w30 I'm curious to see if it drinks it faster than the 15w40.

Taking F550 to shop again when I get back from my last trip. Mattd, I appreciate your info on this. I will keep this forum updated on my leak as well. Hope your oil consumption gets figured out.

Update

There is a revised CCV box for the 2017-2019 Cab and chassis trucks only. Ford wants to have that replaced before condemning the engines. Even though the the ones on the trucks were free and clear , they still want the revised unit installed

Update:

Great info on CCV box. Well, another upper oil pan leak. I put dye in and drove 70 miles to shop. Service advisor called and said Ford is now requiring lower oil pan be replaced when doing upper oil pan drop...part not available until July 23. Not clear on if they are also replacing upper oil pan as well...will have to confirm with service next time we talk. Hope this repair is done correctly...little uneasy with this repair. Oh well...not much of a choice.

[Linked Image]

Take care all.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Well if its warranty, you are getting a free oil change also. So there's that.

Ha...looked at it that way the first time. Oil change and coolant change as well. Yes, under warranty...my 5 year ends in September of this year. Hope 2nd times the charm.

Picked up truck yesterday. All was covered under warranty again. First upper oil pan repair bill was $2,000 or so...this time bill was for $1,700. My warranty is up September 5, 2019. Before repair I asked the tech to check for anything out of the ordinary as leak originated in the same spot. At pick up service guy implied first tech likely didn't do repair correctly as nothing out of the ordinary was discovered (thought maybe hairline fracture in upper oil pan?). Surprised Ford paid for the repair twice within a year and a half...assuming Ford paid that is. Drove 80 miles home towing our Durango...all working fine. Almost afraid to look under the truck for a while...this leak has been a nightmare.

On another note, I asked them to check if air filter minder is working as it has never moved pressure reading in 5 years...charged me $35 on separate bill. How about the days off from work to deal with faulty oil pan repair fix and diesel expense to drive truck back and forth again? I had to bite my tongue but politely paid my bill and left.

Last edited:
We haven't seen a lot, but other dealers have been reporting lots of 6.7 upper oil pan leaks. There were parts on backorder for a while, and Ford silently revised their procedure without sending out a notification. An extra step was added to use a certain cleaning chemical, which currently isn't allowed to be shipped to California, and if it wasn't billed out the claim would be denied.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
We haven't seen a lot, but other dealers have been reporting lots of 6.7 upper oil pan leaks. There were parts on backorder for a while, and Ford silently revised their procedure without sending out a notification. An extra step was added to use a certain cleaning chemical, which currently isn't allowed to be shipped to California, and if it wasn't billed out the claim would be denied.

Interesting info. Second time around Ford required lower oil pan be replaced also. Work order also mentions steam cleaning upper oil pan (assuming it helps get old silicone off). First order didn't mention steam cleaning upper oil pan and lower oil pan not replaced. When I first brought truck in the second time, I asked if same tech was doing the work and service guy said "oh no" rather quickly. Assuming first tech is no longer there and for a good reason. Did not press...but got the unspoken vibe. Hopefully it is done right this go around. I heard a tech (not at this dealer) say proper prep makes or breaks this repair. Appreciate the info bdcardinal. Seems like this type of leak is more common on the cab & chassis...so I've been told. Fingers crossed. As you pointed out...got a free oil change and coolant change at the 5 year mark.

Great info as usual. Will look at my work order and see if those are listed. Take care.

Ford has also been cracking down on dealers who do not replace all the required hardware. Funny part is they don't give us lists of what all is required to be discarded and replaced for certain jobs. So usually I get to go through the shop manual line by line and find all the hardware and order it/bill it out on the repair order.

Not sure how it all works, but I'm sure Ford wasn't too happy paying again for the same repair done 1.5 years ago? My second repair seemed to be off a different protocol, so hopefully all is good now. The lower oil pan was on backorder when I initially brought into dealer...had to wait almost a week before they started. Only have 28,000 miles on it.

Came out yesterday to a new drop of oil. Thankfully it came from a crossmember that still had oil from upper oil pan repair. Bone dry above...so good for now. Heart attack avoided for now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back