30K and Hyundai ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Quickly approaching 30K on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition that has run flawlessly so far. Should I replace the transmission fluid at 30K, or just wait till 60K to replace, as the manual requires?
I ask this before my driving is rarely highway. I drive in the suburbs of central NJ, so a fair amount of stop and go and short trips. Many say changing at 30K is a waste of money, while others say it's wise?
Who to believe? Or does the truth lay somewhere in the middle?
Also, is there really a superior fluid choice other that Hyundai ATF SPIV? I read other Hyundai owners using Amsoil or Valvoline MaxLife ATF and they claim these fluids are even superior to SPIV and their
transmissions shifts are actually smoother.

I would appreciate some mature, common sense advice.

Thanks
Michael in NJ

IMO, changing @ 30,000 miles is a good thing. Most wear (and debris) happens when new, so getting that fluid out early is a good thing, even if just a partial fluid change.
Not sure on the new Elantra, but I know the old ones did not have a filter. If it has a filter, change that as well, if not, then just a drain and fill.

Many opinions on what fluid to use, but seems more and more good reports using Maxlife ATF, as well as Dex VI fluid.

I plan on using Maxlife in my '18 Santa Fe and my mom's '18 Soul @ 30,000 miles.

Others are more diligent about short changes. I'm not planning on changing until 75K, but when I do I'm using MaxLife. I'm going to be flushing at a shop that has served me well, so that will probably be different from the majority.

Last edited:
I have the same year and same transmission. New fluid is a good thing. I am at the age where doing some DYI things is not worth it too me. Doing 8k miles per year I am OK with taking my chances. What surprised me is dealership service advisor said to do it at 60k just like the owner's manual recommends for severe service. He discussed how they worked out issues with transmission through the years. I have not seen one post anywhere of the 6-speed in our Elantra failing. If I were doing a lot more miles and taking the car to high miles I think I would change it more often.

It's a tough decision. I doubt beyond the BITOG crowd that very many people change their tranny fluids every 30K miles. On one hand we are being told that today's fluids are much better than those of yesteryear and that they should last very long. But, many here hang on to the idea that we should still change them like they are conventional dino fluid - every 30K. Does the old data that shows particulates are worse in the first few years/miles of operation still hold true for today's trannies?

On my Jeep Patriot with Hyundai 6 speed tranny (6F24), I decided to let it go until 60K and then did a full exchange. I'm approaching the 90K mark this fall and contemplating to do another change.

Sorry I cannot help with your decision. It won't hurt to do it. Whether it is needed, do we have any evidence beyond anecdotal? We got away from the 3K engine oil changes. Is it time to stretch out our tranny changes a bit (beyond 30K) with these better fluids?

I have seen the fluid and serviced many of these transmissions around 30k. My observation is that the fluid is discolored normally for that kind of mileage, but the drain plug magnet is totally loaded with metal. I would change it , I feel that the service manual recommendation is honestly to long. Make sure the trans adaption values are reset. I would only use SP-IV.

Originally Posted by Thax
I have seen the fluid and serviced many of these transmissions around 30k. My observation is that the fluid is discolored normally for that kind of mileage, but the drain plug magnet is totally loaded with metal. I would change it , I feel that the service manual recommendation is honestly to long. Make sure the trans adaption values are reset. I would only use SP-IV.

When I did a drain and fill on my Sonata at 30k there was more crud on the drain plug than there was at 60 or 90. I'm glad I did it.

For me, fresh fluid is a no-brainer.
I have been accused of over-servicing my vehicles.
And the cars run for a looooong time.

Good luck.

May want to stick with SPIV until off warranty. My first change is always before 40K. Drain and fill. I'm running Maxlife ATF in an Elantra and it works great. Better than SPIV? I don't know. They both are synthetic, shift smooth and Maxlife ATF is much less expensive.

Go for it.

I wish I did it sooner in my Sonata. Just never got around to it.

Coming up on 100k miles next week and will have the transmission drained and filled twice by a buddy of mine who is a mechanic.

2016 6-speed auto owner here. I just changed mine (I'm assuming for the first time) at 79K. Bought it at 72K, and don't know any history. When I drained mine, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the fluid looked. Plug/magnet came out looking very good for 79K as well, no major gunk/shavings. All in all, assuming it was 79K mile fluid, I'm very comfortable recommending 60K (I think 50K from here on in my case), and I'm very much a 30K trans fluid guy.

Fwiw, I replaced with KIA Type 4 (M) - a.k.a. SP4-M. Don't buy the overpriced Hyundai sticker. Go with the same exact fluid with the KIA sticker. I do recommend SP-IV/M or Type 4/(M). As for changes in shift quality, I didn't really notice any change, but if anything it is better than before. Only noticeable change is the transmission doesn't 'hang' in gear anymore. 'Hang' meaning rev it a little high then back off the throttle... It would sometimes keep the high rev (gear) a second or two longer than necessary before shifting appropriately. It doesn't do that with the fresher (partially new) fluid.

So to answer your question, I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd say wait to 50 or 60K. The fluid seems capable. I think the only way you can go wrong is using the wrong fluid...

I did a D&F on the GFs (now her daughter's) 2014 Accent at 20k, 55k and 95K ... and will continue at no more than 40k intervals... using 3 qts Maxlife each time. I'm doing the same on her 2018 Elantra using 4 qts... I like to get the break in gunk out and then it's stays looking good... can't hurt.

A D&F @30k ain't gonna hurt anything in fact it might be recommend to get any break in stuff out. Both Castrol Transmax FullSyn MV ATF and MaxLife MV ATF will work just fine replacing SP-IV.

Just follow the maintenance schedule after your D&F and that Hyundai tranny (A6) will give you plenty years of trouble free ownership.

Last edited:
The first change of any fluid is ALWAYS the smart move. And if you have an AWD late model car/SUV change out your rear differential at 5,000 miles where all your AWD clutch plates are in a 1/2 quart of oil. At that mileage, very dirty oil will come out that even surprised a dealer's service manager and the mechanic that did it for a forum member who took my advice on very early rear diff oil change out. Those rear diffs have a high amount of clutches with very little oil so changing it out every 25,000-30,000 AFTER the first 5,000 mile change is the smart move. The cost 3,000 to 3,500 to change out .

I had my '14 Kia Soul 2.0L done at 30K mainly because I bought it used and did not know how previous owner drove it. Dealer did a complete ATF flush and cost was $200.
I probably won't do another till it gets to 75-80K.

Hey Hyundai says🤩 it's lifetime oil🤥. I've never heard of anyone having tranny issues with those though.
Seriously though with Hyundai you want to keep a far closer eye on that ENGINE and WARRANTY. If you're a second owner you want to grab onto that extended warranty unless they are extending you out to 10 / 120 and have it in writing. This from the guy who never bought an extended in his life no less. Truth is there's nothing you can do with those Theta2s to protect yourself but keep warranty on it.

I'd change it. You will sleep better. Personally, I've tried both maxlife and splV-M. I like the SP better. I use the identical Kia formula because it's cheaper. Does the tranny really need it? Probably not, but like others have mentioned, there is crud in the tranny , and it definitely won't hurt to remove it.

Follow the maintenance schedule in the manual and change at 60k miles. You're covered by Hyundai 10 yr/100k warranty. Your Elantra is not going to perform better; you aren't adding years (or days) to your transmission by changing now. Unless you can do it yourself......leave it alone and drive another 30k miles.

Enjoy your Elantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back