2001 Dodge Ram 2500, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, 27k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super supplemented with Redline oil additive.

From Polaris:
Truck Odometer: 563036 mi
Miles on oil: 26700
9 quarts of makeup oil added.
Fleetguard LF16035 filter.

Polaris Comments:
Aluminum is at a MINOR LEVEL; ALUMINUM sources in ENGINES include pistons, block and
components (intake manifold, head, bearing caps), thrust bearings, main/rod bearing overlay or backing, alumina silica, or
contamination from grease. OXIDATION is at a MINOR level, which may be due to extended drain interval or high operating
temperature. Calcium is slightly high for this lubricant.

Aluminum at 11 ppm is the highest ever from this engine, but the VOA that I had done on 1300 Super showed 5 ppm Al, so maybe the engine only shed 6 ppm. Will monitor in future samples. Unlike Polaris' comments, the only Al in the Cummins engine is the pistons. All the bearings are Copper-Lead.
Iron wear rate is staying low with the Delvac 1300, but I cheated by supplementing it with 3 oz/gal of Redline additive. Other wear metals are very low.
TBN is very strong, so the drain interval could be extended.
Soot loading has gone up to 0.4%, but that is within the range of previous samples.
No water, no fuel dilution.
Engine still dripping or consuming about a quart per 3000 miles.

Polaris has also flagged Oxidation of 20 as Minor, but the VOA read 15, so it started out pretty high anyway. Viscosity did increase from 13.7 to 14.2, so there could be something going on. Half of my miles are towing, and I did have a couple of instances of hot running while towing grades, so the oil had been stressed. I had the cooling system flushed, and brushed and back-flushed the radiator, and that has taken care of the hot running. Given the current controversy between Shell and Mobil over the oxidation test of Delvac 1300, I thought this result was timely. At least it's a datapoint of one.

Dodge-UOA.PNG

Last edited:
You mentioned that you had some instances of running hot before servicing the cooling system; maybe that's why you had some extra piston wear? Wouldn't that be reason enough or not really?

Nice presentation you provide. Thanks for keeping it going.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by dustyroads
You mentioned that you had some instances of running hot before servicing the cooling system; maybe that's why you had some extra piston wear? Wouldn't that be reason enough or not really?

I don't think so. I had prior instances of hot running back in 2017, and they didn't cause a spike in Aluminum.

Well, it was just a thought.
smile.gif

The strong remaining TBN in your latest results is no surprise to me. I used Delvac 1300 for quite a stretch in the previous decade (the days of CI-4 into the early years of CJ-4) and it was always impressive in that regard.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Well, it was just a thought.
smile.gif

The strong remaining TBN in your latest results is no surprise to me. I used Delvac 1300 for quite a stretch in the previous decade (the days of CI-4 into the early years of CJ-4) and it was always impressive in that regard.

I was kind of embarrassed about the remaining TBN, not wanting to dump perfectly good oil. I refilled with the same Delvac 1300 + Redline additive brew, so I won't be worried about wear metals or TBN until it comes time to put in the 5w40 for winter.

Yup, I've dumped a lot of good oil, too. I'm getting much more for my money these days and it feels good. Not a hint of trouble in doing so, either.

I think the RL additive increases your oxidation number a bit because it has esters. I also use it, 1 16 oz bottle in 7.5 gal sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back