No more Champion plugs for me LOOK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I've heard don't buy Champion, don't buy Fram, yatta, yatta, yatta, but I've had good luck with Fram, and until this one, Champion too. So, I ordered a 24 pack of CJ14 plugs for the tractors in our family/neighborhood, and they came today, nicely packaged in styrofoam and sitting pretty. Well, probably over a third of them have the insulators in the plug waaaay crooked. another third of them have an electrode that over reaches the tip by a mile, and the rest have the ground electrode crooked as all get out, the latter of which is repairable, but man this is some crappy quality control. There is I think one or two "passable" plugs in the whole 24 pack, and even they are not as good as a typical NGK or Autolite. I just can't believe it. I tried to take some pics and you can get the idea on some of them, but it's really pretty shabby.

plugs1.jpg

plugs2.jpg

plugs3.jpg

If you want perfection, pay $20 for a plug like I do for a Honda Insight, and even then you may have to play with the electrode. I don't see anything unusual there, especially on $2 plugs.

Have not used Champion in decades. Those plugs look awful for new ...

Platinum fine wire in everything for me now. Even the tractors.

0.040+" gaps when they go and still easier to light. The coil does not get hot. The points look good.

Moroso spiral core wire only from years ago to today and onward. Have some Taylor wires in the 5.8L that came with the truck. They seem OK, but will get Moroso's when they start showing any arcing to nearby surfaces.

Last edited:
I got them on ebay, so it's highly believable that they are counterfeit, who knows?

Originally Posted by bchannell
I got them on ebay, so it's highly believable that they are counterfeit, who knows?

It's actually pretty easy to find out. Contact Champion. If they're counterfeit they'll let you know, and you can humbly apologize for disparaging Champion when they had nothing to do with it. Or you can crow about how you were right.

I've used a lot of Champion plugs over the years, and I've never had any that look like that, But then I purchase from reputable sources (not Ebay).

Can you please post a pic of the box, logo and/or label? Just curious, in case they turn out to be knock off's. I don't use champion auto plugs, but those do look unusually bad. The finish on the ends of the barrels looks bloody awful...

They look like $2 a piece to me ...whats the complaint? I'll bet if you put one in the moter it will work just fine. I mean its not high tech its 2 metal bits in proximity and a bolt of lightning jumps across. If you want pretty pay for pretty. ...or maybe pretty with benefits ;-)

They may or may not be counterfeit, Mother Champion will probably figure that out for you.
But is there any chance that the ebay seller put all of his returns and blems into a single package....and then sold them to you?

Originally Posted by bchannell

Then I suggest your thread title be changed to"No more EBay parts for me LOOK!"...

Originally Posted by tony1679
Yup. NGK or go home...
Although I suspect these were counterfeit plugs, this is still the best answer in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back