Old man rant. What happened to rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there was the day the music died. February 3, 1959.

Buddy Holly was a huge favorite in my younger years and still is. I still have some of his music in digital format.

I grew up listening to The Who, The Stones, Yes, Led Zep, Styx, Foreigner, 38 Special, Rush, Chicago (1960s and 1970s) and many more... Heck, the first concert I went to was The Moody Blues.

Recently, I've been rocking out to the Disturbed cover of The Sound of Silence. I really like it better than the original.

My tastes include most everything except for Country.

As someone else mentioned Greta Van Fleet shows promise.

Originally Posted by 2dogs
You guys are killing me. Never heard of those bands. What happened to Cream, Lynard Skynard, & The Rolling Stones?

Oh one more thing- "Get off my Lawn!"

lol.gif

Exactly, i have heard of some of those bands,but never cared to listen to them. My 2 stepsons graduated in 2008 and 2010 so they probably played that stuff from those bands. I would consider an old man rant being music from the 50's like Chuck Berry,Buddy Holly60's like " The Rolling Stones, The Byrds,Jimmi Hendrix,Roy Orbison,The Animals. Born in 58 so I am a bit older than the young buckaroos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGaBlygm0UY Dire Straits is about as late as I got I walked out of a ZZ Top concert in '73 Because I was dead center in the theater and my diaphragm was vibrating in time with the bass. Springsteen Orbison, Allmans. Fleetwood Mac My 3yr old liked songs from Thriller so that was about the last vinyl we bought
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
I never heard of any of these bands.

Rock and roll died long ago when bands stopped stabbing the keys of their Hammond B organs.

Fixed.

I really think it captures the essence of the song better than the original. Or at least it resonates with me more than the original.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

That was one of the best covers I have ever heard.

As some others have noted, nostalgia weighs so heavily on musical tastes so it's no wonder every generation has the same sentiment.

I'm 42, the last concert I went to was Alice in Chains and the next will be Iron Maiden in a couple of weeks.
11.gif

jeff

I agree that "rock" is a very vague term, there are so many sub categories.

Times change, music changes.

I also agree with modern music being so commercialized today. You don't have bands and musicians as much as "performers" and artists.
Those singing don't write their lyrics, have no idea how to write and compose the music.
There are some bands out there still doing it the old fashion way, but not as much.
Gone are the days of buying an album and listening to every song on it to find the one you like.

For me, well, this is what I am listening to as I type this:

Oh, and this seems appropriate for the topic:
[Linked Image]

We all have our idea of what "real" Rock and Roll is. Being born in the early 1960's I grew up listening to a wide variety of great bands.

Give this one a listen. Awesome song preformed live. Plus very poignant lyrics about a dark time in the US.

SAXON Dallas 1pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTWWWi3rYU

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
This thread makes me chuckle. Many, maybe most, people that are nostalgic believe their teen/young adult music era was the best. What really cracks me up are the commenters on YouTube that always refer to that 60'/70's rock era as the good old days...simpler times...people were genuine, etc.. Yea, we had the Vietnam war, race riots, assassinations, etc. And then, there was the DISCO era
37.gif

Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, John Denver - now there's some good music, LOL.

Barry Manilow, covering...Meat Loaf?!

Reba covering the Everly Brothers...

I play this as the first song , in every vehicle i buy!

Nobody rides for free!

I think Warren DeMartini is one of the most underrated guitarists from his era.

Last edited:
Your not being a crotchety old man ! You are a normal guy . Heck I can't even understand what the heck these so called music artists are singing .

Originally Posted by AZjeff
What happened to rock? You got old. So did I. Find it interesting that I still like the music I liked in my youth and don't even try to listen to what's current. And haven't turned to Lawrence Welk as I start thinking about retirement.

Very true I believe ^^^^^^

And by the way... I had a 101 year old patient who watched Lawrence Welk every Saturday evening like clock work....

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Any of the soundtrack from American Graffiti is great to me.

I was born in 1944 so when American Graffiti asked "Where were you in '62 ?" I could truly answer "I was 18 and I liked it !!"
cool.gif

That is great music indeed.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Any of the soundtrack from American Graffiti is great to me.

I was born in 1944 so when American Graffiti asked "Where were you in '62 ?" I could truly answer "I was 18 and I liked it !!"
cool.gif

That is great music indeed.

Agree!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
I was born in '83.....but what OP has posted here doesnt sound like a rock music to me
laugh.gif

Those are what I consider to be the best current songs out. Best rock songs of all time? It would be one of these three,

Thank you for those! Listening to Pearl Jam brings back some of the best memories of my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back