Interesting blood donating info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks. Thought I'd share this I saw at donation center Saturday. Pretty interesting and makes you think.

Screenshot_20190715-154836_Gallery.jpg

That pretty cool.

I used to donate blood but stopped when I was asked for my social security number. Things probably changed since then.

I donate a few times per year and have never been asked for my SSN

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
That pretty cool.

I used to donate blood but stopped when I was asked for my social security number. Things probably changed since then.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
That pretty cool.

Yeah, they ask me only for date of birth and full name. Amazing that every 2 seconds someone needs blood. Kinda sad statistic in a way as must be tons of accidents, trauma or....

Glad I help though

My last onation was when they (the blodbank) gave my father a golden staf infection, right in thejoint of his elbow.

Lost weeks of (slef employed) work, in hospital, and nearly his arm, until Australia's foremost infection expert started treating him with drip feed antibiotics directly into the joing...pain much ?

Because it was in a joint, he had four more flare-ups, three of which were hospital.

The foremost infection expert in Oz, his treating doctor for the infection wrote up that it was incotravertably introduced into his system, and lcoation by the blood bank.

Their attitude was to go jump, foloowed with "try suing us, you'll run out of money and publicity long before we do".

I'm A neg. and have donated 69 times, as the Canadian blood services says, "it's in you to give" If you have never donated, please give it a try.

I generally do platelets every other week, although for hopefully temporary medical reasons I'm out of donating until at least September. Hopefully I'll get clearance to go back then.

Platelet donation takes a lot longer than whole blood(generally ~3 hours all said and done since it's done by apheresis-the platelets along with some plasma are separated from your blood, while the rest is returned to you) but depending on your platelet count one donation can usually yield 2-3 units of platelets(if a unit of whole blood is separated in to components, it takes roughly 6 units to get 1 unit of platelets). Chemotherapy patients in particular can need 40-50 units over the course of their treatment, and the hospitals like to minimize the number of donors any particular patient gets. Also, you can donate platelets every 7 days if you're so inclined.

In any case, it's just a small way that I can contribute. Toward the end of his life, my grandfather received a lot of blood, so this is a small way for me to give back for that.

Re: The last fact bullet. What pharmaceutical products are made out of blood and plasma?

60,000 miles of blood vessels ... that's pretty wild.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I generally do platelets every other week, although for hopefully temporary medical reasons I'm out of donating until at least September. Hopefully I'll get clearance to go back then.

Platelet donation takes a lot longer than whole blood(generally ~3 hours all said and done since it's done by apheresis-the platelets along with some plasma are separated from your blood, while the rest is returned to you) but depending on your platelet count one donation can usually yield 2-3 units of platelets(if a unit of whole blood is separated in to components, it takes roughly 6 units to get 1 unit of platelets). Chemotherapy patients in particular can need 40-50 units over the course of their treatment, and the hospitals like to minimize the number of donors any particular patient gets. Also, you can donate platelets every 7 days if you're so inclined.

In any case, it's just a small way that I can contribute. Toward the end of his life, my grandfather received a lot of blood, so this is a small way for me to give back for that.

It takes me a hour and a half from start to finish donating platelets.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Re: The last fact bullet. What pharmaceutical products are made out of blood and plasma?

60,000 miles of blood vessels ... that's pretty wild.

There are a number of blood products and factors made from blood. In the hospital I used to work in we used tons of Plasmanate and Salt Poor Albumin. There are different factors as well. Factor 8, Factor 9 and so forth. Novoseven was big early in the 2000's as it had some good success in trauma in the Middle East war. Its use tapered off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back