Picked up a screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Noticed I was losing air for the last few weeks, about 5lbs a week in the right front tire on the Jeep. These tires don't have a whole heck of a lot of life left in them, but I figure I can get the summer out of them before springing for a new set of Michelins. Took it up to my buddy, who is the Service Manager at the dealer, we put it on the hoist and found this little guy on the inside tread block of that tire:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He plugged it, no charge and I drove it up to the cottage Friday, back last night, no more air loss
thumbsup2.gif

Many people dont like plugs. Some say they leaked. My state wont allow them because they want the tire dismounted and checked for damage on the inside.

I plug mine if im sure that it was not ran flat.

his tire was definitely not run flat, no lower than 30psi, as the TPMS light never even came on. I check my pressure weekly. Comically, these are run-flats
lol.gif

My tire dealer removes the tire and patches it from the inside. He also marks the tire and rim to retain proper balance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
My tire dealer removes the tire and patches it from the inside. He also marks the tire and rim to retain proper balance.

Given the cost, and finish, on these wheels, the fewer times they can be handled, the better IMHO. I don't have an issue with a plug, provided no further leaking happens, which appears to be the case. These are probably not the most fun tires to mount/dismount either given their width and the fact they are run-flats.

I had a similar screw (but much larger) in a tire back in September. I didn't notice any air loss, but I saw it there... So I bought one of those Slime brand plug-it-yourself kits from Walmart for $5 or something and plugged it myself. About 10,000 miles later, it's still fine. The tire is a Nokian WRG3 with about 1/2 it's treadlife remaining.

I'm surprised the shop repaired it since it was a run-flat tire. Most places will not repair run-flats, per manufacturers' recommendations.

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
I'm surprised the shop repaired it since it was a run-flat tire. Most places will not repair run-flats, per manufacturers' recommendations.

I believe that typically only applies to a run flat driven flat, because of structural damage concerns, however policy appears to vary depending on the tire OEM:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=226

Pirelli, who makes these, does not endorse repairs, though I personally don't see an issue with it, since the tire was never operated under-inflated.

I'd take being "screwd" over being "Plugged"

(got a spark plug stuck in my tire a couple years ago)

Originally Posted by Rand

Groan!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Rand

I had a railroad tie puncture my motorcycle tire AND rim. Can't top that one I'll bet!

given the location many chain tire shops (Goodyear, Firestone, Discount etc) would not plug or patch that, too close to the edge. Crazy but they fear the liability and want to sell a tire.

Originally Posted by Spector
given the location many chain tire shops (Goodyear, Firestone, Discount etc) would not plug or patch that, too close to the edge. Crazy but they fear the liability and want to sell a tire.

Doesn't surprise me. I'm keen on replacing these (they ride quite hard, thanks to being run flats) but I want to get their life out of them too, hence my decision to run them for the season.

Probably why buddy plugged it no charge and no receipt.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Probably why buddy plugged it no charge and no receipt.

There was absolutely no discussion about patching issues with it being a run-flat or the placement of the puncture. We located the screw, pulled it, he plugged it, aired it up, done. It was free because he's a friend of mine. I could certainly have asked to have it recorded in my vehicle's history (receipt showing no charge) and nobody would have batted an eye at it. First thing he asked me was if it had gone flat, when I told him no, it drops about 5psi a week and I keep topping it up, things proceeded as described. I would have expected the process and discussion to have gone differently if the tire had indeed gone flat.

get rid of the plug, put a hot patch inside the tire

Originally Posted by edwardh1

get rid of the plug, put a hot patch inside the tire

These will only be on the Jeep for another few months and then they will get a nice new set of Michelins. I'm not going to bother getting the rim/wheel broken down until that point.

Friend...brand new set of 18" tires...no warranty of any kind...WHAM, wubba, wubba, wubba...a clean 1/2" hole in the tire's dead center of tread.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back