fully synthetic 10w30 recomendation plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a fully synthetic 10w30. Was going to try QSUD but learned its on the thinner side similar to a 5w. Would like to stick with a solid 10w non high mileage available at walmart.

Similar to a 5W? The winter rating is not directly connected to the operating viscosity, you can't make a general statement like that.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Looking for a fully synthetic 10w30. Was going to try QSUD but learned its on the thinner side similar to a 5w. Would like to stick with a solid 10w non high mileage available at walmart.

What engine and how many miles?

You want a "thick" 10W30? That means high HTHS not high KV100.

OTW you are getting little benefit - if any - from the higher KV100.

Used to be Rotella Triple Protect 10W30 for a Conventional GO TO.

Haven't seen it in years since the new "T" lineup.

Now I'd say M1 High Mileage 10W30

..It's still ACEA A3,B3 !

That should bog down either of those two Fords in your signature.

After a couple weeks of slow as mud light throttle acceleration, you will want to go back to a 5W20
smile.gif

63.2kv @40c 10.1kv @100c, VI = 146 - Mobil 1 FS 10w30 (SN)
66.6kv @40c, 11.6kv @100c, VI = 170 - QSUD FS 5w30 (D1G2, SN+)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HammerHead0313

What engine and how many miles?

new 5.0 f150, 12k

Lots of folks try t6 5w40, 5w30 and motorcraft 5w50. I personally have tried MC 5w30 and currently in there I have t6 5w40. I think next change I would like to try a 10w30. Is there a sn+ 10w30 out there?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

After a couple weeks of slow as mud light throttle acceleration, you will want to go back to a 5W20
smile.gif

Do you have some thing to support this astounding statement?

Originally Posted by user52165

smile.gif

I ran a 5 and 0w-30 in my '13 F150...and also 0w-40, with NO noticeable difference in maximum power or mpg. There may have been a very slight delay in throttle response at very low speeds and light right pedal, but when I mentioned it on this very forum, I was poo-pooed as being delusional.

That said, OP you can't go wrong with the Rotella. I've also seen Valvoline and other major brands in 10w-30, but they aren't stocked well and you'll be lucky to find it....unless you order online and pick it up, that is.

... After a couple weeks of slow as mud light throttle acceleration, you will want to go back to a 5W20
... Do you have some thing to support this astounding statement?
Do we have to split into extremist camps, one claiming there's no difference in drag with higher-than-specified viscosity, and the other camp exaggerating the difference? Just recognize reality, folks! That's that the difference will be real, but not huge.

Originally Posted by CR94
... After a couple weeks of slow as mud light throttle acceleration, you will want to go back to a 5W20
... Do you have some thing to support this astounding statement?
Do we have to split into extremist camps, one claiming there's no difference in drag with higher-than-specified viscosity, and the other camp exaggerating the difference? Just recognize reality, folks! That's that the difference will be real, but not huge.

I know right, its not like Im going to 20w50 or anything. I just want to experiment with a handful of oil choices here. This will be the first 10w, but want to make sure its a a solid 10w, not something advertised as a 10w but closer to a 5w.

Maybe I will dump some lucas in for good measure.

I know right, its not like Im going to 20w50 or anything. I just want to experiment with a handful of oil choices here. This will be the first 10w, but want to make sure its a a solid 10w, not something advertised as a 10w but closer to a 5w.

Maybe I will dump some lucas in for good measure.

Again as I mentioned before, the winter rating is irrelevant. You need to learn the difference between a winter rating and the operating grade. Both the 5W-30 and the 10W-30 are 30 grade oils. Your constant focus on the winter grade is misplaced, a 5W oil is not thinner than a 10W except at low temperatures (below 0F or so).

Lucas will increase the operating viscosity but will also dilute the additives. The best way to get an oil that's thicker than a 30 grade is to use a fully formulated 40 grade, not an additive.

smile.gif

HTHS = 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back