VCT rattle

I have a 2019 f150 XLT with the 5.0 . I have the deceleration rattle from the cam phasers when the engine is cold. I run 5-20 Amsoil signature series oil and am concerned about long term durability of this engine. Do I have anything to worry about? My service tech and the dealership owner both say I can run 5-30 and that may help. Does this sound legit? My truck only has 6000 miles on it so I am skeptical to use anything other than what the mfg. calls for at least under warranty. I am no mechanic so would like some help with this if possible. Thanks in advance.

If dealer/tech said you could run 5W30 fine. But. Get it in writing and have it added to the service history of the truck. Get all copies. You don't know down road who you will be dealing with. Maybe get the district rep involved in this too. Bottom line, new truck shouldn't be making noise from cam phasers in the engine.

Yeah we tried that and it doesn't work.. this is why I am concerned as they issued a TSB to fix it and now say it is normal....

We just had one where we did the TSB and it didn't fix it. We replaced the at fault VCTs. Have to pull the valve covers and timing cover. I got to read line-by-line through the FSM to find all the one time use hardware since "the tech can't be bothered to read the FSM."

Amsoil SS is better oil than motocraft and its 5-20 so not worried about that but hesitant to use 5-30 although several people have told me it will be fine, but it seems no one here really knows either. My main concern is the chain rattle and if this is going to do any long term harm to my engine. The truck runs and drives great, getting 21/22 mpg on the road and 19/20 or so mixed so am happy about that.. i am surprised no one else has had this if all the 5.0's are doing it as Ford now says....

The main point here is that you have gone to the dealer and your complaint of the rattle should be on record.

Yes I have and it is... like i said they did the TSB and cant fix it and now say it is normal.. so I just wait I guess

In my 2018 5.0 I have had the noise on the factory fill, also full synthetic MC 5w30, PP 5w30 and currently t6 5w40. The rattle is the same regardless of oil, also the typwriter tick. I have not had the tsb done but according to others it does not work. Once the engine is up to temp it goes away. If you find a solution based on an oil selection let me know. In a couple weeks Im going to try a 10w30, probably M1 or QSUD. BTW, one can of Ceratec does not completely get rid of the typwriter tick sound, much less though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
If you find a solution based on an oil selection let me know.

Lifter ticks that go-away once the engine has warmed up, would suggest that as the oil heats up and this out, that it's better able to do it's job.

Instead of going to a 10WXX, I'd suggest going to a 0WXX.

While not directly related to the Ford issue. Saab's with hydraulic lifter tick's on startup respond very well to a change to a 0WXX oil, as it flows better at cold start.

Regards
Jordan

Originally Posted by JFAllen
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
If you find a solution based on an oil selection let me know.

Lifter ticks that go-away once the engine has warmed up, would suggest that as the oil heats up and this out, that it's better able to do it's job.

Instead of going to a 10WXX, I'd suggest going to a 0WXX.

While not directly related to the Ford issue. Saab's with hydraulic lifter tick's on startup respond very well to a change to a 0WXX oil, as it flows better at cold start.

Regards
Jordan

On my truck the typwriter tick begins once it warms up. The VCT rattle stops after warm up. My fathers truck is exactly the same and still has the FF in the sump.

Interesting thread. I'm following because my ‘18 3.5 Ecoboost has some VCT rattling when cold, and seems to be getting less pronounced as the oil gets more miles on it - currently with 4K since the last change and quieter than right after changing.

So I'm starting to think going thinner next change. Owners manual ok's 0w-30 for extremely cold environments, but also up to temps as high as the 5w-30.

My question is - would there be a downside to using a 0w in my application in Florida??

Last edited:
I wonder if a high moly oil (Redline, Schaeffer, Eneos Racing Street, Toyota) could lessen the noise in these engines. Has anyone tried this?

Of course Redline isnt approved, but it has a notoriety for quieting engines in most applications.

🤔

Last edited:
Same issue on my 2019 F-150 5.0. Once the engine temp gets to about 130-140 it goes away. It has to be something oil pressure related that the computer is controlling. Sounds like a machine gun under the hood when you let off the gas. Mine has done that since new. Oil consumption was a big problem on the first oil change, but seems to have gotten better now after they did the oil consumption TSB. I am assuming that ECU reflash also has the supposed rattle fix too? Annoying with a new vehicle!

Ford is replacing my engine for oil consumption. Had 14k on it. Hopefully new engine won't use oil or have the cam chain rattle.

Back