are these bus tours a good way to see NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use the subway and walk, see it at your pace. I've been working in NYC for the last 6 weeks, I don't see the fascination of touring that dump. I guess living so close to it tainted my opinion of it.

I have to agree with last post. Mid-town Manhattan is a hot mess, especially if the weather happens to be steamy. After 2 days roasting on that open top bus you'll gain a new appreciation for living anywhere else.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
I have to agree with last post. Mid-town Manhattan is a hot mess, especially if the weather happens to be steamy. After 2 days roasting on that open top bus you'll gain a new appreciation for living anywhere else.

thumbsup2.gif
Hot mess is too kind. The stink of urine is just one of many things that disgust me about that place. How/why people live there still amazes me.

Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me. I have been there and don't want to ever go back. Everything is expensive and actually looks better on TV or the internet than in person.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
going to NYC in late Aug for a wedding for 4 das.. 4 of us. none of us have been before. thinking of doing one of these bus tours. is this a good way to see the city or are there other better options?

https://sightseeingbusnyc.com/nyc-sightseeing-2-day-pass

I've been on that bus tour with my family maybe 8 years ago. It's not bad. Just be prepared for crowded buses or lines waiting to get back on a bus especially since there are 4 of you.

Last edited:
There are a few folks (maybe 8+ million or so at last count) who live there, many of whom actually like it. Not all can cut it in the big city.

I suspect the OP is hoping to find the best way to see and learn about NYC, not hear about reasons why some folks prefer to live elsewhere.

A bus tour is good if you're trying to pack a lot of sightseeing into a short window. Or if you have someone in your party with limited mobility. Many bus tour companies allow you to hop off and go by foot and then hop back on later when the bus comes back around on the bus route.

Subway and hoofing it is for those who know where they're going and what they want to see. You can also freeform and go where ever and whenever you want.

Your link includes a boat tour, bike rental and museum access. Seems like a pretty good deal if you're trying to pack a lot in.

Those here who are hating on NYC are missing the point that the OP asked about.

I drove OTR for over 20 years and somehow managed only going there once. There were enough people at work that actually liked that %^&*hole who volunteered to go there.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me. I have been there and don't want to ever go back. Everything is expensive and actually looks better on TV or the internet than in person.

+1

Sea Jay, you're right. I forgot to answer the question. If the wedding is in New Jersey and the op is going back and forth to Manhattan to site see I recommend mass transit, either New Jersey Transit bus or rail. Busses will drop you at 42nd and Eighth Ave. In the heart of the theatre district. Don't drive to mid-town. Traffic and parking is terrible. Take a walk to Duffy Square at 7th Ave. and 47th st. There you'll find the TKTS ticket booth. Broadway show tickets can be had for 40% off. Go to a show, go to two shows. I think 1 day on the hop off bus is plenty. Mid-town is best done on foot.

In my opinion:
NYC is like Boston, San Fran, London, Paris and many others in that it's suited to walking.

Get your hands on a Manhattan bus map (free at tourist centers) and Subway map. The MetroCard is good on both and there are free transfers between lines as in many cities.

You want to fill your MetroCard in $10 increments. You get additional credit for every $10. NOTE: The MetroCard is time stamped and up to 4 people can swipe the same card in the Subway or on a bus. After the 4th person the card won't work even if it has $1,000,000 on it.

DO NOT go for ANY "Hop ON-Hop OFF" bus. That's not a tour. It's a routed bus and you'll spend your time waiting for the huge, lumbering bus to come.

A relaxing tour option from your link is either the Brooklyn or Bronx tour. With those you can sit and actually see things not often included on TV etc.

What you do is pick an area or neighborhood. Go there and walk about locally. Also, decide what you want to do ahead of time. You see 4, 5 and more people standing on the sidewalk unable to decide what to do next. If you're in a party then show a little maturity and independence and be willing to break up and meet up X hours later.

Remember, many will be embarrassed to say they want to go shopping (a HUGE tourist thing to do everywhere in the world) while others might be reluctant to select a small museum (or big one) for fear of boring the others.

If I get any response from the OP- or anyone else - I'll go into detail. PM me WhyMe and I'll send you a Bus map.

The Staten Island Ferry is free. Take it out to S.I. and back. You get close to the Statue of Liberty. Going out to the Island involves a ticket and separate boat ride which is OK but the line at Castle William (where the tickets to both St. of Liberty and Ellis Island are sold) can be long. The Ferry, Wall Street, The World Trade Center Site and Memorial, Fraunce's Tavern (where George Washington threw a Good-Bye party for his Generals after the Revolution) and other stuff are all in that one neighborhood. You can walk from one to the other.

More upon request.

Personal note: Friends from England came over with 2 years notice. I told them repeatedly to bring BROKEN IN walking shoes. They didn't AND they complained the whole time. What a bummer it was to be with them. IF YOU DON'T WALK be real specific with what you want to see and go "item-by-item".

Are you interested in...
Museums: (large and small) The Metropolitan Museum of Art is big. The Museum of Holography is small. The Brooklyn Museum has the largest collection of Egyptian art in the world (maybe second to the Egyptian museum in Germany). The Museum ofPhotography is good for changing its exhibits. You can also use public transportation (TNJ bus) and go to Thomas Edison's laboratory in Edison, NJ. That place is cool.
Shopping: Bloomingdale's is a Mecca to many. Lexington Ave. from 57th to 96th St. makes a fine "shopping walk". People love SoHo (South of Houston St.) for pubs and shopping.
Music: Lincoln Center's "high end" stuff or the bars in Greenwich Village.
Theater: Go to the TKTS booth at Duffy Sq. (the top of Times Sq. at 47th St.) as mentioned above.
TV: Go to Rockefeller Center (NBC) during the morning shows and stand outside the window and look like an imbecile waving at the camera.
WALK: Definitely walk the span of the Brooklyn Bridge
Take the 2,3 subway (red lines on the map) to Clark St. in Brooklyn to see the "old Brooklyn" of Arsenic and Old Lace. The view is great.

I've enjoyed visiting, been to the garment district twice. Definitely a walking city, take the subway as necessary.

For me it's like visiting another world. Where I live we have more moose than police officers. No traffic lights and no jaywalkers. It's like a different country down there.

I think it might come down to how "engaged" you and your party want to be with looking around...Personally, I can't stand NYC so I think unless you want to go to specific locations, a bus tour is a good option for either an overview or to keep you at arm's length.

Many major cities in the U.S. have classic car tours and similar where you tour the city in a vintage whatever...that would be more expensive but more intimate...and some of these tours are very well done. I usually prefer walking and using the subway / public transportation in most cities...NYC just isn't one of them but YMMV.

Ouch! So much hatred for NYC.

I wouldn't do a bus tour unless there was some physical reason why I couldn't walk. Subways, buses and walking are the best ways to get around it NYC.I would suggest determining what you want to see, looking at a map, putting the NYC Subway app on your phone and using mass transit. Leave some open time between major sites to simply wander around.

The 9/11 memorial at the site of the former World Trade Center is certainly worth seeing. Last I heard, it was free on Tuesday afternoons.

You can get to Yankee stadium by mass transit if they are in town during your visit. I get email offers for cheap tickets from MasterCard and from the Yankees all the time. Sometimes the seats are $10 or less. The beer in the stadium might cost more than your ticket.

Don't listen to all the naysayers on this site. NYC is exciting and a great place to visit. Be open minded.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Use the subway and walk, see it at your pace. I've been working in NYC for the last 6 weeks, I don't see the fascination of touring that dump. I guess living so close to it tainted my opinion of it.

Agreed 100%. NYC, the big apple, is rotten to the core.

I was born and raised there. Go on your own, with a few tourist destinations in mind. Stay out of the bad areas.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
There are a few folks (maybe 8+ million or so at last count) who live there, many of whom actually like it. Not all can cut it in the big city.

I suspect the OP is hoping to find the best way to see and learn about NYC, not hear about reasons why some folks prefer to live elsewhere.
George Costanza lived there and couldn't cut it. Ate him alive, just like new woman friend predicted.

I've visited NYC a few times. Never did those tour buses. They sound interesting but I think the problem is that it's hard to get your money's worth out of them. Traffic in NYC is slow so you're going to be waiting a while for a bus and it will take a while to get to one point or another so you will get less done than you think.

For museums, I like the American museum of Natural history. They have a suggested donation in small print so you can pay just a few dollars or even nothing to go in. You used to be able to do the same at a few other museums, but now the Metropolitan museum of art now makes out of state visitors pay the full amount, only suggested for in state visitors.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Agreed 100%. NYC, the big apple, is rotten to the core.

Yeah, but is it the wretched hive of scum and villainy that people here make it out to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back