Old man rant. What happened to rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Born in '71, grew up listening to '60s and '70s rock. Gov't Mule and the Tedeschi-Trucks Band both scratch that itch for me now.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
People don't realize rock music has many different styles/genres.
Many older people only like the rock of the youth as they grow older and listen to a radio station that plays such music.

My wife is the same way. She's in her 30's and listens to the Pop 2K station on Sirius. Music from 2000-2009.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
If the music is to loud your to old. And if you can't remember Woodstock your just a kid!

Or you were actually there???
27.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Many older people only like the rock of the youth as they grow older and listen to a radio station that plays such music.

I really like much of the newer rock. Even though I grew up on '60's-'70's rock.

I guess I'm not finding the same thing as the OP. I'm finding that much of the new rock is quite good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
I always thought rock would be the dominate genre. I remember growing up listening to Tool, Chevelle, Disturbed, even Blink 182, Green Day and Linkin Park. Now all the new music sucks!

When tools like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit became mainstream in the US, I wondered the same thing - "what happened to rock?"

Originally Posted by Cujet
Look into Ghost. Although not classic rock because they are new, their sound is recognizable as "good rock music". They are good enough to be worth a listen to a number of their songs.

I have been on a Ghost kick lately. Listened to the new album driving home from a friend's on Friday and the whole thing was awesome.

Chevelle, 7m3, Royal Blood, Volbeat, Seether, Halestorm, DEAD OTTER! Shinedown, Stone Sour, Dopelord, Spaceslug, dream theater, etc.

Oh and Ghost, my very favorite. They are so good, it's worth listening to entire albums, from their first album Opus Eponymous, to their last, Prequelle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD

Never really was into the really hard stuff. I'm a Boston/Billy Joel/led Zeppelin/Who/Eagles kind of guy mostly, but my wife has enlightened me about this group: Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers - sed to be The Refreshments. A planned record deal that ended poorly lost them the name, but the indie band continued. If you're familiar with the theme song from "King of the Hill", that's them.
Here's a few of my favorites, the second one I've heard on the radio numerous times, and it also has the KotH theme at the end. Third one's an acquired taste with a good story.

HOW could you possibly have forgotten "Banditos"?????

Originally Posted by doitmyself
This thread makes me chuckle. Many, maybe most, people that are nostalgic believe their teen/young adult music era was the best. What really cracks me up are the commenters on YouTube that always refer to that 60'/70's rock era as the good old days...simpler times...people were genuine, etc.. Yea, we had the Vietnam war, race riots, assassinations, etc. And then, there was the DISCO era
37.gif

Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, John Denver - now there's some good music, LOL.

I think the "simpler times" view is just due to the fact that life was indeed simpler for most of us, when we were teenagers whose main responsibility was just getting up in the morning and going to school.

As for music, I'm mostly a fan of the 80's. I also listen to Classical music like Beethoven, Bach, Pachelbel, Mozart, etc.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Garbage. Sixties and seventies had the real thing.

A lot of truth in that: In the old day, they did'nt have fancy autotune, or digital sound management, but they did'nt care they just got up there and sang, and sounded great! Was it perfect? No way. Was it awesome due to incredible skill and talent? You bet!

Last edited:
You have to dig a little deeper but there is still some great rock coming out nowadays and I'm an old geezer. I'm liking Highly Suspect, badflower and as always, QOTSA.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Garbage. Sixties and seventies had the real thing.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by sloinker
You have to dig a little deeper but there is still some great rock coming out nowadays and I'm an old geezer. I'm liking Highly Suspect, badflower and as always, QOTSA.

That is the nice thing about Sirius, you can choose fairly specific channels to listen to. Terrestrial radio will only play the top 40.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I assume the likes of Five Finger Death Punch is too heavy for you?

I'm familiar with a lot of their covers but not anything original.

Just off the top of my head:
- The Bleeding
- M.I.N.E
- Coming Down
- Remember Everything
- Back for more
- The Devil's own
- Wash it all away (you'll probably really like this one if you like their covers)
- Wrong Side of Heaven
- Far from Home
- Question Everything (another really good one)
- Walk Away
- Salvation
- Lift Me Up

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by JLTD

Never really was into the really hard stuff. I'm a Boston/Billy Joel/led Zeppelin/Who/Eagles kind of guy mostly, but my wife has enlightened me about this group: Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers - sed to be The Refreshments. A planned record deal that ended poorly lost them the name, but the indie band continued. If you're familiar with the theme song from "King of the Hill", that's them.
Here's a few of my favorites, the second one I've heard on the radio numerous times, and it also has the KotH theme at the end. Third one's an acquired taste with a good story.

HOW could you possibly have forgotten "Banditos"?????

Dude...the 2nd one I posted WAS "Banditos" .... with King of the Hill at the end!!
grin2.gif
lol.gif

(but yours was more fun!)

Also, there is "A Perfect Circle", which has the guitarist from Smashing Pumpkins and Maynard Keenan from Tool as members. Their song "the doomed" is probably up your alley:

Somebody else mentioned Shinedown, which is another great group.

Not sure how heavy is too heavy for you, so I've tried to keep my suggestions somewhat lighter in that respect. Jinjer, Evergrey, In This Moment, Arch Enemy...etc things get a bit, or a lot, heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back