Royal Purple Oil filter with Dino oil ??

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
No vehicle manufacturer that shows using an oil filter for two oil changes in the service manual ever says to remove, drain and reinstall the filter.

No service manual ever said not to.

If vehicle manufacturers thought it was a good idea to remove and reinstall the oil filter, they'd say so in the manual. People can do what ever they want, but no official source ever recommends it.

OK then it can be an unofficial practice then lol . I'm cool with that Sort of like when people prefill a filter before using it. No manual say to do that either but many do and there just doesn't seem to be issues because of it.

I have switched to Valvoline Synthetic High mileage oil at 153k miles, along with a new RP filter. Perhaps i should have switched to this oil around 100k (hindsight is 20 / 20), which would have fixed my oil leak issues before they started. Did a steam clean of engine area, before i put in the new oil and a dye. (Dang, engine wash costs $250 in bay area now, and i had to drive all the way to San jose to find a shop who will do it - wonder if they conform to CA regulations on engine cleaning). After 500 miles, i noticed traces of oil stuck to the bottom oil pain, but originating from somewhere above in the engine. I wonder where i have to take the car to get an exact location of leak - the local shop i took it to did check for free and brushed it aside saying it is too minor to worry about and fix.

UPDATE :

Surprisingly, the Valvoline HM synthetic 0-20W oil triggered the "OCI monitor" on my 2008 Honda Civic at the the same point where the Chevron Dyno oil triggered an oil change warning. ( About 6200 miles ). The brand new Royal Purple filter did not matter - i got the same OCI triggered interval ( 153 K to 159.5 K) and upon reuse of same filter + new oil (same valvoline oil, 159.5 K miles to 166 K miles ). One thing i noticed is that the car is consuming oil after i switched from dyno oil to Valvoline Full synthetic 0-20 High mileage. Due to this oil consumption, the color of oil is darker at low levels when i checked today (at 166.3 K miles).

Now, I am going to change oil ( sticking to Valvoline synthetic HM + new RP filter) again at 166.5 K miles.

So, can i infer from this ......
  1. Valvoline HM synthetic has stopped the oil leak that was present before (atleast it has reduced, and i will report back if i see it resurfacing after some more miles).
  2. The Honda OCI does not seem to care if i am using a high efficiency oil + filter combination.
  3. If i want to reuse the Royal purple filter one more time i can get 6.5 K x 3 = 19.5 K miles out of the filter, but i am reluctant after seeing the semi dark oil color (with dipstick showing about 25% of full oil capacity ).
  4. A good dyno high mileage oil maybe as good as a synthetic high mileage for a Honda civic, since I am forced to change oil at 6500 to 7000 mile range.
  5. Running a UOA could be a waste of money if done too early or too late in the cycle of car ownership. An average car owner is better of simply changing oil frequently, rather than running the UOA too frequently (though it maybe needed couple of times after 100K mark is reached , and one switches to a HM oil).
  6. A well maintained car will last longer than a high maintanence wife :)

Thanks for the update Seekingbuddha! Glad the Valvoline worked for you. Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver worked for me. I tried several others prior to Motor Oil Saver. I am a big fan of Chevron Supreme! Best of luck!

Back