How long can a typical oil filter last before falling apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 filters in my van for 2 or more years at a time w/o issue. A quality filter like the two I mentioned should easily hold up for the advertised amount or more w/o problems.

I had a M1-104 Mobil 1 oil filter on my dad's Honda for 6 years, no joke.

I did yearly 2900 mile oil changes cause he drives very little. Oil filters last very long if engine doesn't have any sludge or grime.

He would insist that he didn't need an oil change, but I changed it because all his short trips didn't get engine up to operating temperature.

I just posted this thread earlier today. I changed the oil in my 2017 Pacifica the other day, 4,554 miles on the OCI, and the filter media was torn in 3 places.
According to the filter manufacturer, this filter is capable of 10k OCI when used with full synthetic oil, which is what I used.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...cartridge-filter-4-554-miles#Post5160180

I don't understand why you would run any filter for 19,000 miles, or multiple OCI's for that matter, as some people do. That just seems like you're asking for trouble.
Oil and oil filters are much cheaper to change than an engine.

Back before Motorking got the axe from Fram, he said the entry level Fram oil filter wasn't good for more than 6K miles if it had a nitrile adb valve.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
On a used filter sitting in oil all the time I would say four to five years as a guess. I have had cellulose filters on mowers for several years and the media was still not crumbling.

For WIX/NAPAS filters.... it's WAAAAAAAY longer than that!

My tree chipper oil filter is at least 10 years old. Looking down the center tube, it looks brand new inside.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

I did yearly 2900 mile oil changes cause he drives very little. Oil filters last very long if engine doesn't have any sludge or grime.

This is correct, that one Motorcraft FL-1A I ran for 30,000 miles 25 years ago looked perfect inside with regular oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back