parking car outside is "bad"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
At work mine have to sit outside anyway... usually the sun is set any by the time I get home. So not parking in the garage doesn't change the sun exposure much.

That's a very good point. If your car sits outside during your work hours, parking it in a garage for the evening/night will make no difference, as the strongest UV exposure has already happened.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The sun is what kills cars the most.

Daughters can wreak havoc too.

Tell that to the mechanics that work in the salt belt.

In South Texas, on my wife's scion, we have replaced almost every rubber piece of trim on the whole car.

The window trim was melted and flaked off in chunks. The roof trim shivled up and fell off.

Also wipers crack.

My cousin has a civic in Austin, all the window trim has flaked off as well.

When I replaced all the trim, I started using 303 protectant on everything it has been fine so far.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Sure … excessive interior heat has no effect on modern cars …

I never said it didn't, but some cracked dash parts or sagging headliner, fading paint or yellow headlights are nothing compared to rusted out quarter panels, rockers or shock towers as well as pretty much all undercarriage bolts and nuts.

Last edited:
My cars are kept in the garage. They come in covered in salt and snow and grime. We don't hose them off or anything special. They don't have rust. They are parked outside at work all day. I hope my new office gets those solar panel things to park cars under.

Garage keeps wire chewing rodents away, and neighbors' dust kicked up by their driveway blowers, and rocks from when they
drive their riding mower and shoot a rock through your driver's side window.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Kjmack
I wouldn't bother buying a nice car if I had to park outside .

Amazing how many do … and that $40k boat in the blazing sun until it's garbage too …

Yeah, I park both Mercedes outside. I get them washed on a regular basis though. Regular car wash too...

It's just a car, no need to baby it. Car manufacturers build them to sit outside parked in the sun. They have to design for two extremes, heat and cold.

You hardly ever see faded paint being a common problem these days on cars. If they get that old to be a problem, you just get rid of it and get another one.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
You hardly ever see faded paint being a common problem these days on cars.

Says the guy in Mass. Haven't tried to determine age but it's easy to tell vehicles that sit out in the sun all the time here. Some have the clearcoat and color baked off of the top surfaces in 10 years or less. But the running gear looks like new.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by 4WD
Sure … excessive interior heat has no effect on modern cars …

I never said it didn't, but some cracked dash parts or sagging headliner, fading paint or yellow headlights are nothing compared to rusted out quarter panels, rockers or shock towers as well as pretty much all undercarriage bolts and nuts.

And that why they have Krown, Corrosion Free, Rust Check....

I think those windshield screens are worth the small hassle … lots of electronics and plastics in a dash assembly

A neighbor had her driveway parked car broken into 3 times....during the third investigation she yelled at the cops for her repeated troubles.

He looked at her garage, full of old lawn furniture and trash and told her, "I have yet to file a report on a car burglary of a car parked in a closed garage".

The cars I care about I park inside all winter in a heated garage, and run a dehumidifier in the summer as needed. But it the winter when the DD's are covered in crap I leave them outside so they don't thaw out, and trash the car, garage, and my tools. I feel the constant freeze/thaw cycle is worse for a vehicle. Any shade helps too in the summer. Hail is always my biggest fear, which has messed up 2 vehicles twice so far, and the house.

Last edited:
All 4 vehicles are always inside unless they're being driven or in a parking lot at a store. I've seen too many vehicles that are just a few years old with UV/heat damage like peeling clearcoat, yellowed headlights, hazed plastic parts, etc. And I have yet to see that same thing on a vehicle that is regularly parked inside. Not to mention the vehicles are protected from damage due to hurricane winds, hail, rodents/insects, etc.

I'll take the garage every time.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The sun is what kills cars the most.

Daughters can wreak havoc too.

Wives too
lol.gif

Originally Posted by edwardh1
its instinct I think, that to park a car in a garage and its "better" - dryer, maybe less electrical problems?
anyone ever seen any studies/reports etc?

Move to Colorado and park it outside:
1. Sun will kill it (altitude).
2. Hail? Get to know people who own body shops ASAP, befriend them, buy them lunch on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Garage keeps wire chewing rodents away...
Reliably? If I were a rodent, I'd rather chew on car wiring in a semi-warm garage than outdoors in winter.

There are plenty of horror stories of rodent damage within garages.

Reliably? If I were a rodent, I'd rather chew on car wiring in a semi-warm garage than outdoors in winter.

Originally Posted by CR94

lol.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by Wolf359
You hardly ever see faded paint being a common problem these days on cars.

Says the guy in Mass. Haven't tried to determine age but it's easy to tell vehicles that sit out in the sun all the time here. Some have the clearcoat and color baked off of the top surfaces in 10 years or less. But the running gear looks like new.

Well if you're good, you can glance at the VIN on the windshield and figure out the year from the 10th digit of the VIN. Not as hot here of course and in the city, not too many people have garages. Parking in an indoor garage can cost anywhere from $200-$400 a month unless you want to buy a parking spot which can range from 50-100k or more depending on the neighborhood. Cheaper to park it outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back