Valvoline MaxLife FS - Updated PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaxLife PDS

PDS were updated 7.11.19.

I came across this article on the Valvoline website.

High Mileage Oil

"Valvoline uses "proprietary" ashless anti-wear additives......"

"For MaxLifeâ„¢ oils, Valvoline employs a thicker version of the oil that still meets the requirements of 0W-20 because there is a broad range of viscosity that is acceptable within that rating, he said."

""It has more cleaning agents, more ashless antiwear, more added protection across the board," Smith said. The added turbocharger protection for modern engines also contributes to the oil's dexos 1 Gen 2 certification.

If all this sounds good, don't worry, you don't have to have a high mileage car to start using it. "There's no reason you can't use MaxLifeâ„¢ from day one," said Smith. "That's what I do."

I think this is an attempt by Valvoline to push marketing of MaxLife upstream a bit since VWB is now being marketed as a semi-syn. More of a marketing ploy than a product rejiggering. I've used MaxLife on a number of cars with under 75K and it's performed well. Can't change my oil, but now have a number of $10 oil change coupons--place used to offer MaxLife for an additional $10 and I usually bit. Now it's $10 off of a regular $50 MaxLife oil change--not worth the price spread given that WallyWorld puts MaxLife and VWB at the same price point.

Anyway, the article matches my beliefs about MaxLife and glad to see it in print.

why is it valvoline on the ccs test post results that it meets the standard for each weight of oil and not there true test results ??

Originally Posted by hemitom
why is it valvoline on the ccs test post results that it meets the standard for each weight of oil and not there true test results ??

Cause most of their customer base doesn't subscribe to BITOG and could care less.

So you are saying that Valvoline is purposely misrepresenting their numbers?

Why not?

We are still waiting for the "next generation add packs,"
whereby a 0W16 oil won't stretch timing chains,
when subjected to the dense, small-particle sized soot
produced by these small displacement TGDI engines.

Thanks buster for zeroing in on the issues of the day,
sulfated ash, NOACK, fuel dilution, LSPI prevention, and viscosity.

I saw Valvoline Advance with Maxlife Technology on sale yesterday so it went into my Silverado. It works just as well as anything else I tried.

Originally Posted by PimTac

So you are saying that Valvoline is purposely misrepresenting their numbers?

No...but if you go to pennzoil and check there specs they show the oils test results not just meet
ing the spec, so anyone looking for oil with better cold flow specs get no help from valvoline.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Why not?

why !! because anyone looking for the best cold flow specs get no help here by just showing that YES we meet the specs.

Castrol did that for years, and may still on some of their products. It's annoying, but not that big of a deal. If you're buying a 5w-30 ILSAC or a 5w-20, you're going to have good cold weather numbers, almost certainly better than those of a 5w-40. If that's not sufficient, and 5w-XX has been sufficient for me in Saskatchewan, then a 0w-XX is an alternative. If I were picking oils solely by cold weather numbers within a grade, I'd be looking at Petro-Canada or Amsoil, since they both have some ringers.

Originally Posted by Garak
Castrol did that for years, and may still on some of their products. It's annoying, but not that big of a deal. If you're buying a 5w-30 ILSAC or a 5w-20, you're going to have good cold weather numbers, almost certainly better than those of a 5w-40. If that's not sufficient, and 5w-XX has been sufficient for me in Saskatchewan, then a 0w-XX is an alternative. If I were picking oils solely by cold weather numbers within a grade, I'd be looking at Petro-Canada or Amsoil, since they both have some ringers.

No you are correct, annoying yes ! Still hasn't stopped me from using valvoline .
Started using valvoline in 1988 and almost exclusively since the maxlife blend came out.

Yeah Valvoline has really good oils... Even though they about number top 3 seller amongst the majors.

why !! because anyone looking for the best cold flow specs get no help here by just showing that YES we meet the specs.

As long as it flows to the pickup tube that's all that matters. The winter rating of the oil guarantees performance in this regard (as Garak noted above), "flow" after that has little meaning. The way you test for flow to the pickup tube is SAE J300 and the results are printed on the label of every container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back