How old is this ACDelco battery?

Recently acquired 05 Malibu classic. Trying to figure out how old the battery is.

Its fine as far as I can tell. Resting and charging volts ok. Can it really be 10 years old?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I guess it could be but I don't think it's the factory unless they had blue labels back then. The factory ones at least now are have a Black label.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
4/09 upper right corner of blue sticker

That's the sticker revision date. It only means the battery can't be older than that.

@alchargo posted how to decode the date code "P022R" on the main sticker.

P = either P or S, so OK there
02 = month = February
2 = last digit of year = 2012 (can't be 2002 due to the other sticker saying 2009)
R = manufacturing plant location code

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378

That's the sticker revision date. It only means the battery can't be older than that.

02 = month = February
2 = last digit of year = 2012 (can't be 2002 due to the other sticker saying 2009)

Hey that's pretty cool I never knew that thank you. Well it's a year 6 year battery in its 7th year can't complain with that. I wonder who the manufacturer is?

Originally Posted by wheelman1991
That battery was manufactured by Johnson controls, the octagon shaped vent caps are a dead giveaway.
That was going to be my guess too. Same as the JCI AAP Autocraft battery caps.

Good sleuthing call on battery manufacture date by E150 and alchargo. I had to look several times to find date code.

Originally Posted by mk378

02 = month = February

To be honest I didn't have a clue
I really didn't much a date code anywhere

I just replaced the factory Delco battery in my 2011 Silverado in November 2018. Used a Battery Tender trickle charger when truck would sit for longer than a week. Replaced it because it started to loose the capacity to sit for longer than 7days.

Replacement battery from Advance Auto isn't half tha quality (wish I I knew that prior to purchase).

Last edited:
I just had to replace the factory battery in my 2012 Buick Verano. Can't complain about 7 years of service. Put in a East Penn Deka Duracell.

Back