Shell accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
LONDON (Bloomberg) -- Two people were killed and one injured on Royal Dutch Shell's Auger platform in the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday.

The incident occurred during "a routine and mandatory test of our lifeboat launch and retrieval capabilities," a company spokeswoman said in an emailed statement. The injured person is being treated at a hospital with a non life-threatening injury. Shell declined to give more details.

"In the over 40 years that Shell has operated in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico we have strived, above all, to ensure our people go home safely to their loved ones," a company spokeswoman said. "It's devastating when they do not. We deeply regret this loss of life within our Shell family and community."

Auger is one of Shell's largest and most productive platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. The company nearly decommissioned it in 2010 until new technology revealed another large oil reservoir under a salt deposit, according to the company's website. It's located 214 mi south of New Orleans

Drills are necessary to improve safety

Drills expose you to increased risk in the timeframe of the drill...

Safety on the offshore rigs is always top level. I've never worked for shell offshore but drilled for chevron in the gulf of thailand and man, safety is big with those big company, especially offshore.

This particular incident has nothing to do with the rig or drilling, must've been something stupid thing....regardless, extremely sad to hear of people dying.

Condolences to the families who lost their loved ones risking their lives to get the job done.

Originally Posted by parshisa
This particular incident has nothing to do with the rig or drilling, must've been something stupid thing....regardless, extremely sad to hear of people dying.

Agreed.

Probably an equipment failure you can't predict or plan for.

Because of the processes and storage for what I do for a living, we have to be covered under Fed govt guidelines for process safety management, It often takes me days or weeks to prepare for a job that takes minutes to do.

Obviously I have no idea of what happened but the chance of a rigging accident (during the swinging out of lifeboats) is always high when you don't do it everyday.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Safety on the offshore rigs is always top level. I've never worked for shell offshore but drilled for chevron in the gulf of thailand and man, safety is big with those big company, especially offshore.

I retired from Shell Oil U.S., my last assignment was in Exploration and Production. I can tell you Shell is absolutely fanatical about safety, as they should be. That said, there are many, many ways to get hurt or killed on or around an oil rig. Sometimes things happen that can't be controlled or foreseen. The tragedy becomes a learning experience.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that news, condolences to all affected. I've worked in the industry for 10 years and can state that Shell will find the accident root cause and implement corrective action. Of all the rigs I've worked, Shell has consistently upheld rigorous safety standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back