Crack on frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing oil when I noticed what looks like a crack on the frame I think. It's beside the front wheel. In the picture it's just above the oil pan . Does it look like a part of a weld that have cracked? I got this toyota used few years back.
What should be done? Is the part called a frame? What would have caused a crack like this is it is indeed a crack.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It does look like a crack. Wipe it clean to make sure it's not dust or dirt.

If you can take a picture a little further back so I can get a bigger picture as far as ease of repair

Hard to tell what what you mean without some arrows pointing to it but I just see pieces of the frame with a gap where it wasn't welded. Normal. Is that your wifes kitchen bowl you're draining oil into? Then i predict you will have more problems than a cracked frame.

that image is pretty deceiving; you have to come with some better image/images and from different angles, preferably in day broad light

Originally Posted by atikovi
Hard to tell what what you mean without some arrows pointing to it but I just see pieces of the frame with a gap where it wasn't welded. Normal. Is that your wifes kitchen bowl you're draining oil into? Then i predict you will have more problems than a cracked frame.

Originally Posted by hemitom
Looks like a crack ! but also looks like another brace welded to the main frame ??

Looks like just a gap that is present due to the piece being a gusset. But, like what was said above, an arrow/circle edit pointing out the exact spot would be preferred.

Sorry I can't seem to be able to post a blown up pic of it using my ipad, will try to take more pics. I'm referring to the vertical line that's above the mid point of the stainless steel pan. It's a Camry. Does it look stock or a collision repair?

Last edited:
You could try a dye pent kit but not cheap.
Maybe a paint marker and smart phone and keep an eye on it for now.

There is no problem. As I said, you have a piece of steel attached (welded) to another piece of steel (the subframe). You are seeing the edge of that welded-on piece of steel.

This is common on cars for attachments that are not heavily loaded.

Last edited:
I don't have the vocabulary but as mentioned above, it looks like a location where not every available inch NEED BE welded so they didn't.

Salt, dirt and moisture (= rust) to the left of the "crack" trapped underneath is what I'd fear.

Try communicating with the blokes at the respective dealership. Have a concise question ready. Don't stammer at them.

I'd ask them if that spot was a rust problem.

In the meantime, clean all such "dirt catches" with water and soap.

Shooting rust converter into such crevices after cleaning might not be a bad idea.

To me it looks like a covering over the crossmember with a piece broken out of it. It has a well defined edge on the bottom but the edge disappears up near what looks like a "crack". Look at the other side, pictures can be deceiving so its hard to say for sure from this angle only.

You're fine. You get cracks with rust or extreme abuse. I see neither.

They engineer in weak points, deliberately, so the car will crumple when it crashes.

Maybe, but the point is the same. Toyota designed it that way for a reason. Most often for NVH or the aforementioned characteristics of how the car behaves and absorbs energy in a crash.

There's not even a hint of rust visible in the pic, and there's not likely to be for some time to come, living in Malaysia.

The term frame is not correct here. As others have mentioned a few times, what does the other side look like?

Definitely looks like a crack to me. The weld appears to only be along the bottom,maybe to reinforce the area where that beam meets the frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back