Post your latest oil change

65 Tempest 355 Chevy
Out Schaeffer 10W-30 racing oil Fram HP4 filter
In Schaeffer 10W-30 racing oil K&N filter

I have another HP4 and a K&N left to use and then I'm then I'll use Wix 51061

You needed a reason to put in qsad anyway.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Red91
You needed a reason to put in qsad anyway.
wink.gif

Haha, bought it on my way home from dealership.

Originally Posted by irv
2008 2.4L Chev Malibu

Out: Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and TG 9018 filter off.

In: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and TG 9018 on.

Only 5000 km's on the used oil but a mechanic at where my son did his co-op said frequent oil changes are imperative with this engine so my son ate that up.
30% was remaining and I told my son he could easily do 2 OLM revolutions using this oil and filter combo. Of course, dad knows nothing and this Midas mechanic knows it all.
smirk2.gif

Tell the kid the Midas mechanic knows his stuff.
If any tweak could be done, it's keeping the Tough Guard on for 10K.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by irv
2008 2.4L Chev Malibu

Only 5000 km's on the used oil but a mechanic at where my son did his co-op said frequent oil changes are imperative with this engine so my son ate that up.
30% was remaining and I told my son he could easily do 2 OLM revolutions using this oil and filter combo. Of course, dad knows nothing and this Midas mechanic knows it all.
smirk2.gif

It all depends on the type of driving being done. If it's lots of highway trips then the oil would have been good for at least 8000kms (5k miles) despite being hard on oil. But if it's like my girlfriend's GDI Sonata that drives 5-7 minutes for 90 percent of its trips and the oil smells like gas and turns black immediately after an oil change then yes it should be done by 3k miles. Hers goes 3 months and about 2k miles maximum between conventional oil changes done in the shop (for receipts since the engine is under warranty still with the Hyundai rod bearing recall). The oil looks black after much less than 2k miles while my carbureted v8s driving basically the same short trips except it gets more longer trips as we take it on all our longer trips (no worries about rod bearings failing) look much cleaner after more than 3k miles when I change my oil.

Originally Posted by irv
2008 2.4L Chev Malibu

smirk2.gif

I haven't read anything (yet) about these engines being hard on oil. The OLM moves quick, however, with this car/engine and that is based on about a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving.

I assume you have heard the opposite and think, depite using synthentic, that 3000 miles is plenty for this engine/oil combination? The engine doesn't use a drop, thankfully and he has put on over 20,000 kms since last August.

I am not trying to be cheap here, but if oil changes are recommended at 3000 miles with this engine, then I will be switching to conventional in the PYB variety.

Waler's Malibu 08.jpg

I never base OCIs on OLMs. Some are calendar-driven that may register Zero Left, at the end of a year and the vehicle remained parked for all but one month.
My Colorado's OLM goes on every 10,5k, now at 15 years-old. It used to go on at 13.2K. Matters-not if I do my own oil changes, halfway thru the OLM notification.... nothing.

Personally, I don't trust the more sophisticated ones that breakdown the oil either. BITOG has taught us when to change the oil, dependent on vehicle badge, miles accumulated, manner driven, engine design. and a few more.

Last edited:
I never base OCIs on OLMs. Some are calendar-driven that may register Zero Left, at the end of a year and the vehicle remained parked for all but one month.
My Colorado's OLM goes on every 10,5k, now at 15 years-old. It used to go on at 13.2K. Matters-not if I do my own oil changes, halfway thru the OLM notification.... nothing.

Personally, I don't trust the more sophisticated ones that breakdown the oil either. BITOG has taught us when to change the oil, dependent on vehicle badge, miles accumulated, manner driven, engine design. and a few more.

That's all very well, T7, but you didn't mention anything about the 2.4's being hard on oil nor why you think the Midas mechanic knows his stuff?
21.gif

Please tell me why you think dumping this engines syn oil at 3000 miles is a good idea? Like I mentioned, I haven't heard (yet) that this particular year of engine is hard on oil or a rather undesirable engine that requires above normal mtce.

My experience is that some of the ecotecs were hard on timing Chains if oil changes weren't done frequently enough but that may have just been the earlier ones.

If he's putting a lot of miles on and the oil looks good I'd go by the olm if using synthetic oil.

Friend's 2007 Acura TSX, 84.5K, 6 to 7K OCI

Out: M1 HM 5w30, Fram UG
In: Same

This was my sister's car; It was generally serviced at quickie lubes.
Also serviced the transmission

Nice car.

2019 Lexus RX 350 5000miles

Out: FF and Toyota OEM filter

In: Mobil AFE 0W30 and Toyota OEM filter

I'll change again at 10K and then follow 10K OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv
2008 2.4L Chev Malibu

smirk2.gif

Man, PLEASE PUT THAT CRACK PIPE DOWN ALREADY. YOUR MISINFORMATION SPREADING LATELY IS AT A ALL TIME HIGH

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
2019 Lexus RX 350 5000miles

Out: FF and Toyota OEM filter

In: Mobil AFE 0W30 and Toyota OEM filter

I'll change again at 10K and then follow 10K OCI.

Was curious why you didn't let Lexus service your RX?

2018 Mercedes C300 2.0L I-4 Turbo

OCI = 5,487 miles (6 months)

Out:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 SN and Mann HU 711/6 Filter

In:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 SN and Mann HU 711/6 Filter

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by irv
2008 2.4L Chev Malibu

smirk2.gif

Man, PLEASE PUT THAT CRACK PIPE DOWN ALREADY. YOUR MISINFORMATION SPREADING LATELY IS AT A ALL TIME HIGH

He will not he is addicted to posting non-sense. He has nothing better to do.

Originally Posted by irv
2008 2.4L Chev Malibu

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by irv
2008 2.4L Chev Malibu

smirk2.gif

He will not he is addicted to posting non-sense. He has nothing better to do.

I'm glad you guys commented. His reply to me was confusing and I was wondering, after reading it a few times, what I was missing?

It all makes sense to me now!
crazy2.gif

Thanks
cheers3.gif

OUT ........(daughter's 2007 Chrysler Pacifica @ 4K
Supertech Conv. 10W30
Supertech Filter

IN
Formula Shell Conv. 5W30 .....(thank you Menards sale)
Fram Extra Guard filter

2014 Mazda6 touring 6M skyactiv
Castrol Magnatec 0w-20
Pure one filter.

2009 Honda pilot
Castrol Magnatec 0w-20
Bosch filter.

Same oil in both. Boring, I know.

2018 Ford F-250 plow truck with 2,300 miles on it

Out: factory filter and factory fill

In: Safety Kleen Eco power synthetic blend 5w30 and a Parts Plus PH 820 "made in Korea" GASP!!

Back