1/2" Metric Socket Set Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a Metric Socket Add On Set.
Metric 1/2" drive 6 point; larger sizes.
I recall the 3/8" Williams set from a few months back; I prefer the USA made but not sure if they are available.
A similar 1/2" set would be perfect.

Respectfully, I do not like cheap tools.
Please offer your guidance, with approximate prices.

Wright, Proto, SK, Snap On, all are made in USA and widely available except S-O, which is available on their website or any S-O truck you can flag down.

A budget would help. What exact sizes are you looking for? 29mm, 30mm, 32mm, 34mm, 35mm, & 36mm are considered the larger "add-on" sizes but rarely does a hobbyist need all of them.

I wear out impact sockets.....So I buy Snap-on because I have a dealer that stops by every week.

This link has all the Williams part numbers in the description.....HERE

This is a recommendation that you won't want. . 20 yrs ago I bought 2 sets of 1/2 impact sockets 1 metric, 13mm-22mm, 1 SAE, 7/16- 1'' I don't use them much , but they havent failed yet. I think each set was under 10. A buddy of mine was a refrigeration mechanic and was separated from his regular kit and needed a socket set. He was impressed for the price. My regular Craftsman 1/2 drive set is good but is 12 point, thin wall sockets. The impact sockets are bulky, and often are pounded onto a corroded nut. I don't have air or heat. just lotsa different hammers. and all sorts of cheaters. SK was a good middle of the road brand, 50 yrs ago , they were sold in Tru Valu hardware stores. Check a Grainger catalog on line. for industrial brands such as Proto, Williams , Armstrong. Please post back your choice.

Well there are other uses for larger sockets! Sure you going to need a 24mm for that axle nut, but a set of 3/4 drive large sockets are nice, you can use them to press out bearings in a press, or run all thread through the sockets to press bearings in, also I have a special socket set I chucked in a lathe and flattened the "face" of the socket to use in driving/pressing and grab some bolts better.

I have wonderful tools now; my older brother owned Comprehensive Mechanics in Santa Cruz, CA. On the westside, near the University...
He got cancer and died at 44, back in 1994 or 5.
He left me his hand tools. I gave a lot to the shop, because Snap On should be in the hands of a mechanic making a living.

So I have a huge Snap On 3/8" set, short, medium and long sockets.
I have my old Craftsman SAE 1/2" sockets, including impact.

I am a computer programmer in a high tech company; I don't pull wrenches like I used to.
But I do help a number of friends with Hondas, Acuras, Nissans, etc.
Regarding size, I guess up to 32 mm is pretty standard?

I may end up with more Snap On; perhaps 2nd hand. I was wondering what options you guys had.
I was not looking for impact sockets.
I was under the impression the off shore Williams was more Blue Point quality.

I appreciate your guidance.
He who dies with the most tools wins. Extra credit for quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
Wright, Proto, SK, Snap On, all are made in USA and widely available except S-O, which is available on their website or any S-O truck you can flag down.

Wright and SK all use US made steel and blanks. Wright gets their steel from mills in Cleveland and Canton Ohio. Not sure where snapon gets their steel from and Proto is likely the " Global Materials" that is part of SBD's tagline for anything made in the USA.

Taiwan JH-Williams is pretty good, Blue Point doesn't have a "Set" quality......I have a set of Blue Point wrenches that are USA & identical to Snap-on Flank Drives, But has a dull chrome plating that chips off at lot easier, Then you have Taiwan made Blue Points that are a completely different wrench.

A ton of JH-Williams is still made in Snap-on plants in the USA. It's tough to find Snap-on metric sockets at a fair price used.

Here's a Cornwell 30,32,34,36mm set for $100....Good deal on quality new USA made.HERE

Not sure what sizes you want. Are you only wanting to buy new?

Here is a set that looks hardly used Snap on 12-24mm 6point 1/2 drive.

$175 or best offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-13pc-1-2-Drive-Metric-Flank-Drive-Shallow-Socket-Set-TWM/123820050352?hash=item1cd44007b0:g:gZ4AAOSwED1dC7bn

I have that same set of Shallow Chromes.....They crack/split too easily! The Deep Well Chromes are a lot more stout. It's not just the 1/2" Snap-on, The shallow 3/8" chrome set is just as bad.

As mentioned snapon,mac,cornwell,williams etc all have usa made ones. But im going to throw these in. Sunnex and Grey Pneumatic from taiwan are every bit as good as the usa offerings.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
A budget would help. What exact sizes are you looking for? 29mm, 30mm, 32mm, 34mm, 35mm, & 36mm are considered the larger "add-on" sizes but rarely does a hobbyist need all of them.

I wear out impact sockets.....So I buy Snap-on because I have a dealer that stops by every week.

Is it normal for SO impact sockets to wear out?

It looks like you have the resources and have answered your own question. Get a new Snap On set in the sizes you want. Won't regret quality. Lowes has good lower priced sets, imported now, and Craftsman. Some have this one size fits all metric and sae spline drive design. Snap On's flank drive design has been copied everywhere and is in even the cheapest sets now. Times have changed in hand tools.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by clinebarger

With enough use they will.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

All impact sockets should be considered consumables, and be inspected regularly for wallowing out (expecially CrMo) or cracks (usually CrV).

Yes, a few brands have lifetime warranties on impacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back