Grease for Honda Mower pinion gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What grease wood you guys recommend for the pinion gears on my honda hrx mower. They are located inside of each rear wheel and are not in a completely sealed enviromment. I don't have the Honda shop manual, and the owners manual just says to do it, not what to do it with. Any recommendations?

This is a situation where I use a standard wheel bearing grease and simply service it once a season. Yes, stuff will stick to the grease, but I'm not sure of anything that will provide good lubrication in this type of environment and not collect debris.

Thanks for the help. I was afraid that's what I'd hear. And, sorry about the wood, (would) typo....dang auto correct.

I searched and found this thread from several years ago. I just bought a Honda mower that says to grease the pinion gears every so often. I'm curious if there is any more info on this. I have tubes of Amsoil NLGI #2 grease that I use on stuff. I guess that would work. Or would a lighter weight grease like aerosol lithium grease be better?

Use the #2. When I first serviced mine after about a year of ownership, the old grease that Honda used from the factory looked like to me to be a #2 grade. Been using Valvoline red wheel bearing grease for about five years now, and it's still doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back