Forums Migration

Please read this thread

Recent Topics
3.5 Ecoboost Oil, I've decided.
by Gene K - 07/10/20 02:07 PM
Mopar Extended Warranty with 100% Refund Option
by The Critic - 07/10/20 12:46 PM
The great lakes are warm!
by OVERKILL - 07/10/20 11:38 AM
OSX 10.15.5 Mail Program POP Issue
by JHZR2 - 07/10/20 10:51 AM
Slightly used Hyundais's and Kia's for sale...
by mattwithcats - 07/10/20 10:38 AM
Best power steering fluid to quiet fussy pump
by dfarr67 - 07/10/20 10:30 AM
Triple QX 5W40 Oil.
by SpitFire6 - 07/10/20 09:46 AM
626,000 mile Pentastar teardown
by wwillson - 07/10/20 08:25 AM
Price components of gasoline and diesel
by Snagglefoot - 07/10/20 08:20 AM
Peak Synthetic
by oilchangeguy - 07/10/20 07:01 AM
[Cut Open] FRAM Ultra XG7317 (6230 miles)
by DuckRyder - 07/10/20 06:41 AM
Need a New Frig
by Boomer - 07/10/20 06:01 AM
How to tell what engine mount is gone.
by mossietheno1 - 07/10/20 04:28 AM
Raybestos Specialty Rotors
by The Critic - 07/10/20 03:33 AM
Castrol Euro at Walmart, but which one?
by Impatient - 07/10/20 12:48 AM
Car Stereo Upgrade
by montero1 - 07/09/20 11:55 PM
Newest Members
SUmeme22, DaveCaddell, SharkNC, Puckster02, TurbodogTodd
71907 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (53' Stude, 2K2AcuraTL, ABN_CBT_ENGR, Alfred_B, 2015_PSD, 4WD, 13 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,687
Posts5,315,787
Members71,907
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire #5159712 07/13/19 05:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,003
S
SubLGT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,003
According to Russian online magazines, Bridgestone is introducing the DM-V3 to the Japan market in August of this year. No mention was made of it appearing, or not appearing, in the North American market in 2020. I think the DM-V2 appeared in North America around 2014.

Some photos here:
http://colesa.ru/news/61195

Quote
...[the tire] is made of rubber compound Active Foam Rubber 2, containing micro bubbles, eliminating a film of water from the surface of the ice, increasing the level of adhesion. Compared to the previous model, the braking efficiency on an icy surface has increased by 9%.....The surface of the tire has a microtexture with irregularities, which is designed to provide optimal grip on the icy surface from the very beginning of operation......The new pattern is characterized by triangular blocks in the central part and wide diagonal grooves located at different angles. Bridgestone says that this configuration has increased traction on snow and ice.....


https://shina.guide/press/20082/

.
Quote
..The new product line of winter studless tires Bridgestone Blizzak in comparison with the second generation tires has improved performance properties. It uses the patented technology of the manufacturer Active Foam Rubber 2, successfully used in passenger tires Blizzak VRX2 .........Developers [claim} 25 percent improvement in wear resistance of Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V3 tires with the use of Active Foam Rubber 2 rubber compound...

Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: SubLGT] #5159923 07/13/19 09:43 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,915
R
Rand Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,915
Whats next a racing slick made out of "foam rubber" for ice.

Not real happy with how full the tread block is.. yes better on ice rink testing.. but without voids I wonder how the deep snow traction is as well as how directionally stable it can be.

I feel my ws-70 were better in turns/sideways traction than the ws-80 and DM-V2.


2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2.0T
2020 Hyundai Elantra "Value Edition"
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: Rand] #5159936 07/13/19 09:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,003
S
SubLGT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,003
Originally Posted by Rand
...Not real happy with how full the tread block is.. yes better on ice rink testing.. but without voids I wonder how the deep snow traction is as well as how directionally stable it can be.


It will have better traction on snow and wet pavement than the DM-V2, claims Bridgestone

Quote
...The new pattern is characterized by triangular blocks in the central part and wide diagonal grooves located at different angles. Bridgestone says that this configuration has increased traction on snow and ice....

...in comparison with the previous model, the number of straight longitudinal grooves was increased from two to four, which, in combination with the increased tread rigidity, improved the driving performance on wet surfaces. In particular, the braking efficiency increased by 6% compared with the previous model...

Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: SubLGT] #5159946 07/13/19 10:09 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,915
R
Rand Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,915
Originally Posted by SubLGT
Originally Posted by Rand
...Not real happy with how full the tread block is.. yes better on ice rink testing.. but without voids I wonder how the deep snow traction is as well as how directionally stable it can be.


It will have better traction on snow and wet pavement than the DM-V2, claims Bridgestone

Quote
...The new pattern is characterized by triangular blocks in the central part and wide diagonal grooves located at different angles. Bridgestone says that this configuration has increased traction on snow and ice....

...in comparison with the previous model, the number of straight longitudinal grooves was increased from two to four, which, in combination with the increased tread rigidity, improved the driving performance on wet surfaces. In particular, the braking efficiency increased by 6% compared with the previous model...


Not disagreeing with anything you said(or they said)

I'm concerned about the lack of tread void for slush planing performance, deep snow performance, and lateral traction. The tire will perform better on packed snow and ice no doubt.


Also without a doubt my dm-v2 once they break free they keep sliding much more than earlier models


2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2.0T
2020 Hyundai Elantra "Value Edition"
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: Rand] #5159986 07/13/19 11:37 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
edyvw Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
Originally Posted by Rand
Whats next a racing slick made out of "foam rubber" for ice.

Not real happy with how full the tread block is.. yes better on ice rink testing.. but without voids I wonder how the deep snow traction is as well as how directionally stable it can be.

I feel my ws-70 were better in turns/sideways traction than the ws-80 and DM-V2.

I had DM-V2. Overall good tire, but had nasty behavior during cornering in slick (ice). Michelin XI2 I had after on same vehicle was much better tire.
And of course, that excessive weight for no good reason.

Last edited by edyvw; 07/13/19 11:38 PM.

11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40+ MANN filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OE filter).
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: SubLGT] #5160004 07/14/19 12:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 731
K
KneeGrinder Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 731
The DM-V2's were actually designed for light pick up trucks, half ton/1500's and full SUV's like Tahoe's ect. Many that complain about them have installed them on smaller Mid size vehicles with larger size tires, Mid size SUV's, CUV's. The side walls are fairly firm! They are too firm for many lighter vehicles that they are installed on. The DM-V2's have never had a great reputation for lateral traction because of the side wall stiffness.

I have them on my Tribeca in the winter, 255/55/18, the Tribeca is the heaviest Subaru with a large 3.6L 256HP engine. I have put it thru the paces, messed around in vacant ice frozen big parking lots, and here in this part of N. Idaho we have some pretty nasty blizzards! If you know how to drive in these conditions, they are very impressive tires! If you don't know how to drive in these conditions, no tire is going to save you or be any more friendly. You must do your part, to many people want to blame the tire when the fact is, they made the mistake that caused the problem, but they expected the tire to save them.

I have WS90's on my Chevy K3500, they are equally as impressive.


08 Tribeca 90k PUP 5w30
06 Accord 137k PP 0w20
03 Acura CL-S 90k M1 AP 5W20
02 Acura TL-S 241k ST 5W30
02 Accord EX 155k PP 0W20
02 K3500 99k M 1 ESP 5w40
00 F350 139k M 1300 15w40
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: KneeGrinder] #5160006 07/14/19 12:22 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
edyvw Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
The DM-V2's were actually designed for light pick up trucks, half ton/1500's and full SUV's like Tahoe's ect. Many that complain about them have installed them on smaller Mid size vehicles with larger size tires, Mid size SUV's, CUV's. The side walls are fairly firm! They are too firm for many lighter vehicles that they are installed on. The DM-V2's have never had a great reputation for lateral traction because of the side wall stiffness.

I have them on my Tribeca in the winter, 255/55/18, the Tribeca is the heaviest Subaru with a large 3.6L 256HP engine. I have put it thru the paces, messed around in vacant ice frozen big parking lots, and here in this part of N. Idaho we have some pretty nasty blizzards! If you know how to drive in these conditions, they are very impressive tires! If you don't know how to drive in these conditions, no tire is going to save you or be any more friendly. You must do your part, to many people want to blame the tire when the fact is, they made the mistake that caused the problem, but they expected the tire to save them.

I have WS90's on my Chevy K3500, they are equally as impressive.

Bridgestone will pack 2-4lbs per tire more than competitions. That is weight I am talking about.
Tire manufacturers, especially top tier like Bridgestone, will built tires in according to size they are making and that size is made for certain vehicles.
DM-V2 has same generation of compound as WS80. WS80 is knowns as problematic in lateral handling in ice and similar surface.
As for which SUV I had them on? BMW X5 35d which packed close to 1,000lbs more than Tribeca. Also, BMW that generation (E70) has by far best steering of all SUV's so it is very easy to notice when tires create issues as feedback from steering is simply astounding. Regardless, Michelin Xi2 proved MUCH better on same vehicle except that I would give small advantage to DM-V2 in deep snow and slush.

Last edited by edyvw; 07/14/19 12:24 AM.

11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40+ MANN filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OE filter).
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: SubLGT] #5160014 07/14/19 12:42 AM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 333
I
i6pwr Offline
Offline
I
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 333
I had the DM-V2 on my 02 Envoy, 4720 lbs without driver...they performed amazingly well especially braking on packed snow-ice. Tire size is 245/65/17.

As far as cornering....I agree the lateral grip while superior to an All-Season, is one area I wanted to be improved, but just had to get used to it. The side grip was good, but the snow and ice traction going forward and braking was phenomenal, it was the transition to a corner where you went from all the forward and braking traction in the world, to average sideways grip. You get all this confidence going forward, and expect the same in turns.

Last edited by i6pwr; 07/14/19 12:43 AM.
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: i6pwr] #5160035 07/14/19 01:41 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
edyvw Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
Originally Posted by i6pwr
I had the DM-V2 on my 02 Envoy, 4720 lbs without driver...they performed amazingly well especially braking on packed snow-ice. Tire size is 245/65/17.

As far as cornering....I agree the lateral grip while superior to an All-Season, is one area I wanted to be improved, but just had to get used to it. The side grip was good, but the snow and ice traction going forward and braking was phenomenal, it was the transition to a corner where you went from all the forward and braking traction in the world, to average sideways grip. You get all this confidence going forward, and expect the same in turns.

DM-V2 would not be first tire that did not do good in lateral grip. The problem was that it was not progressive loss of traction. If you push any tire, it will eventually break loose. But, there is progressive loss of traction, so one can correct it. DM-V2 are holding, and then suddenly out of nowhere they break loose.
I think that DM-V3 as well as WS90 replacing WS80, are replacing previous tires so soon due to that reason, among others (not very good longevity).


11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40+ MANN filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OE filter).
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: KneeGrinder] #5160602 07/14/19 03:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,915
R
Rand Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 14,915
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
The DM-V2's were actually designed for light pick up trucks, half ton/1500's and full SUV's like Tahoe's ect. Many that complain about them have installed them on smaller Mid size vehicles with larger size tires, Mid size SUV's, CUV's. The side walls are fairly firm! They are too firm for many lighter vehicles that they are installed on. The DM-V2's have never had a great reputation for lateral traction because of the side wall stiffness.

I have them on my Tribeca in the winter, 255/55/18, the Tribeca is the heaviest Subaru with a large 3.6L 256HP engine. I have put it thru the paces, messed around in vacant ice frozen big parking lots, and here in this part of N. Idaho we have some pretty nasty blizzards! If you know how to drive in these conditions, they are very impressive tires! If you don't know how to drive in these conditions, no tire is going to save you or be any more friendly. You must do your part, to many people want to blame the tire when the fact is, they made the mistake that caused the problem, but they expected the tire to save them.

I have WS90's on my Chevy K3500, they are equally as impressive.


Since both my jeep and edvw's vehicle are the same or heavier than your tribeca I think you are barking up the wrong tree with your theory.

I've used over 20 models of winter tires.. and I will say again the dm-v2 have substandard lateral traction and abrupt breakaway/(not progressive)

I've owned 2 sets. I wonder what other winter tires you have personally owned to compare these to.. if you think these are the best ever.
They do have impressive straight line traction. And good deep snow traction, and are fairly amazing braking on ice to a stop(as at a traffic light or stop sign)

but they are deficient while cornering.. because they are so great in straight-line traction their average to below average lateral traction with instant loss of grip are not desiriable characteristics.

My conti EWC and blizzak ws-70 had a much more progressive cornering feel and would regain/maintain lateral traction superior to the ws-80 and dm-v2 all of which I used for multiple winters.

yes the first 2 had worse straight line traction and braking but all around performance good and predictable in all conditions.

P.S. we get nasty weather here too, lake effect snow is no joke.


2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2.0T
2020 Hyundai Elantra "Value Edition"
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: SubLGT] #5160709 07/14/19 05:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,003
S
SubLGT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,003
Some more info and photos and graphs from Bridgestone in Japan:

https://www.bridgestone.co.jp/corporate/news/2019070901.html

No mention is made of improvements in lateral traction on ice. Improvements over the DM-V2 seem to be primarily in the areas of snow traction, wet braking, ice braking, and durability.

Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: SubLGT] #5160737 07/14/19 06:19 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
edyvw Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
Originally Posted by SubLGT
Some more info and photos and graphs from Bridgestone in Japan:

https://www.bridgestone.co.jp/corporate/news/2019070901.html

No mention is made of improvements in lateral traction on ice. Improvements over the DM-V2 seem to be primarily in the areas of snow traction, wet braking, ice braking, and durability.

Bridgestone never acknowledge that. Numerous tests confirmed that though. I think they are just quietly switching models and everyone will forget about it.


11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40+ MANN filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OE filter).
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: SubLGT] #5236316 10/10/19 08:13 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
H
hp9000 Offline
Offline
H
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Hi, I hope this doesn't feel like hijacking the original post. I'm trying to decide between the DM-V2 and the new WS90 for my 2016 Nissan Rogue AWD. According to Wikipedia, the weight of the vehicle is 3,529 lb (1,601 kg). I don't know if this qualifies as heavy or not. Should I go for the old DM-V2 or the new WS90? I've heard so many conflicting opinions from people who sell the tires and not actual users, that I don't know what to think. I even called Bridgestone to ask, the guy said "some people use DM-V2 and others use WS90 because at that tire size (225/65/17) the tires overlap". So he couldn't even guide me one way or another. If the manufacturer doesn't know, how am I supposed to know? Anyway, any tips will be appreciated.

Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: hp9000] #5236434 10/10/19 10:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
edyvw Online Content
Online Content
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,902
Originally Posted by hp9000
Hi, I hope this doesn't feel like hijacking the original post. I'm trying to decide between the DM-V2 and the new WS90 for my 2016 Nissan Rogue AWD. According to Wikipedia, the weight of the vehicle is 3,529 lb (1,601 kg). I don't know if this qualifies as heavy or not. Should I go for the old DM-V2 or the new WS90? I've heard so many conflicting opinions from people who sell the tires and not actual users, that I don't know what to think. I even called Bridgestone to ask, the guy said "some people use DM-V2 and others use WS90 because at that tire size (225/65/17) the tires overlap". So he couldn't even guide me one way or another. If the manufacturer doesn't know, how am I supposed to know? Anyway, any tips will be appreciated.

Use WS90.
Though I would use Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2.


11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40+ MANN filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OE filter).
Re: New Blizzak DM-V3 Studless Winter Tire [Re: hp9000] #5236443 10/10/19 10:25 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,071
U
UG_Passat Offline
Offline
U
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,071
Originally Posted by hp9000
Hi, I hope this doesn't feel like hijacking the original post. I'm trying to decide between the DM-V2 and the new WS90 for my 2016 Nissan Rogue AWD. According to Wikipedia, the weight of the vehicle is 3,529 lb (1,601 kg). I don't know if this qualifies as heavy or not. Should I go for the old DM-V2 or the new WS90? I've heard so many conflicting opinions from people who sell the tires and not actual users, that I don't know what to think. I even called Bridgestone to ask, the guy said "some people use DM-V2 and others use WS90 because at that tire size (225/65/17) the tires overlap". So he couldn't even guide me one way or another. If the manufacturer doesn't know, how am I supposed to know? Anyway, any tips will be appreciated.


How can the bridgestone guy know that other people use the WS-90 as it is new for this season, and I doubt people have gone out about bought them and used them in the winter, unless it's already used in the Southern Hemisphere.

3500 lbs is pretty heavy on a small-ish car... but, both would have the same load rating.... but do you want to spend about $80 more per tire for the latest in Bridgestone Blizzak technology? Does the DM-series have more plies in its construction than the WS?


2016 VW Tiguan
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™