Q50 VQ37 Ester oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just aquired a mint condition 2015 Q50 AWD VQ37 with 50k miles. Original owner all service records done at Nissan. i noticed service records state use of Nissan Ester oil 5w30 all its life.

This car i plan to keep for longevity for another 5-7 years.

60% hwy / 30% city... Toronto Climate (-10C winters/+30C humid summers)
40km each way to and from daily...

it seems these engines are quite complex yet built proof.

As i read everywhere, Ester is needed fto compliment the valvetran components.

I read Nissan Ester is good, bad.. use Redline, use Mobil 1.... im confused...

so based on my situation, and past UOAs on VQ37s, what do you fellows recommend? stick with Nissan Ester or or is there somthing better??

TIA

Nissan ester is extremely overpriced and it is not needed. I never touched it. Look at my signature for what's in my sump. I've run HDEOs for the past several years. I have no consumption and things are quiet, which is about as good as I can ask for. Blue Wave Energy can get you what I'm running at a very attractive price, and up here it comes in 5 litre jugs and fulfills API and viscosity requirements by Infiniti's manual wording. I had no problems with winter starts, unaided even, this year with us having the worst February on record.

Would adding Lubegard Biotech work?? ? My understanding is it's all ester with gobs of moly (not the MoS2 type).

The Nissan Genuine Ester Oil's use of the term "ester" was as much a marketing term as anything else. It wasn't an ester based oil in the least. I ran PYB in mine for a long time at the outset and was quite happy with it, too. They're not that fussy. Synthetic isn't even mandatory.

what's the thoughts of using M1 FS 0W40 in the VQ37?
its my go to oil in my S2k and EcoBoost.

i read 370z owners using it

Unless that is a di turbo, then that should be the first thing out of your mouth. In that case, find a low CA oil.

Originally Posted by Thugzy

That's perfectly suitable as well. Any A3/B4 lubricant will work similarly. Any C3 lubricant will also work. Don't sell an E6 like I'm using short, either. It has similar HTHS to that found in M1 0w-40 and other A3/B4 lubricants.

Burla's suggestions of Red Line or Motul are certainly suitable for use, but not for price. If I'm recommending you not use $20+ a litre oil from the dealer, I'm similarly going to tell you not to buy $20+ a litre boutique or Euro oil. If you want to spend money on Red Line, spend it on SI-1 and use it a couple or more times a year in the gas. $15 worth of PYB will serve you just as well as $100 worth of Red Line for ordinary usage.

Originally Posted by Thugzy
its my go to oil in my S2k and EcoBoost.

i read 370z owners using it

No doubt that is one great oil, but you realize it isn't sn+ yes? So when it comes to lspi have you researched it and don't believe the risk or haven't researched it? sn+ is specefically for di turbo's like the eco boost.

I have a 370z with the VQ37. These engines are very hard on oil and Nissan recommend Ester oil. Though the engine can get by with a very good synthetic that is not Group V, I highly recommend an Ester base oil. I use Redline 5W30 and change my oil every 5k. I have done several UAOs. There wear some high metal count but it went down over time. It's said you will get unusual UAOs with Redline due to the "cleaning" of Redline. Nissan Ester is too expensive for what you get. I have seen many use Motul and it is a good Ester oil as well. It's just hard to find for me.

I like the moly content of the Nissan ester oil. If it were the same price as otc oils ($20-ish per 5 quarts) I would give it a try since I use W30 in my Accord.

Originally Posted by burla
No doubt that is one great oil, but you realize it isn't sn+ yes?

So what ? Nissan probably spec'd SM for that engine.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
No doubt that is one great oil, but you realize it isn't sn+ yes?

So what ? Nissan probably spec'd SM for that engine.

why not read before talking? go back and see what he us putting the 0w40 into, hint, it isn't the q50.

Originally Posted by Eddddd
Though the engine can get by with a very good synthetic that is not Group V, I highly recommend an Ester base oil.

The engine will more than "get by" with a very good synthetic. It will thrive on conventional, too. The OEM OCIs are not demanding in the least. He's in Canada and you may not realize how difficult it is to get Red Line or Motul here, and when you find them, the price will be eye watering.

why not read before talking? go back and see what he us putting the 0w40 into, hint, it isn't the q50.

Ford couldn't make an oil choice with a gun to their heads. The OP probably put more thought into his oil choice than Ford did.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back