How much to fix this minor damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

I bought car at an auction a month ago. Just got the title so I went to pick it up. Found this damage. I assume they will cut me a check for the cost of the repair but won't know until Monday.

Replace tail light
Touch up scratch on quarter panel at tail light
Repair bumper cover
Paint bumper cover
Replace bumper molding
Paint bumper moulding

Any possible hidden damage? The bumper is slightly bowed out under the fuel door. What might be the retail cost to repair this?

Depends on the T&C of the auction, if it said "As-Is", then they are not obligated to pay for anything.

My wife recently sideswiped (sounds worse than it looked) our son's car in the driveway. Neither car had what I would call "dents" but I there was some metal "re-shaping" needed. Paint work too, of course. Neither car had any parts replaced except for a $4 clip on my wifes. Her car's repair was $1700 while our son's was $1400.

I think yours will be more.

About $1500-2000. Hidden damage may be a sensor or two in the bumper, bumper rail (add $400), bumper mount clips, etc, those are not inc in the $1800 if they are used on this car.
OE bumper cover and molding new about $800, tail light OE $300, paint and clear $200, refinish bumper, molding and rear quarter $500

Edit: Just guessing at the parts prices based on previous buys for similar cars.

Last edited:
I know a guy in Charles City who can fix that for a whole lot less than 2K. I would say less than half that but I would try to find a junkyard tail light and trim piece.

I think it's going to be at least $2,500, because *I* think there's damage behind the bumper we're not seeing.

I hope the OP got the car for a DIRT cheap price because once the damage is repaired (*if* it's repaired correctly), I think it's going to well offset the price of buying this car at auction.

Ed

I had a 2004 S60R in that same color. The extensions on the bottom of the bumper were part of the optional body kit on the R cars. If yours is missing the front section, I have them as well as the hardware. Plus IPD front spring perches and IPD swaybars I can sell you for cheap.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I think it's going to be at least $2,500, because *I* think there's damage behind the bumper we're not seeing.

I hope the OP got the car for a DIRT cheap price because once the damage is repaired (*if* it's repaired correctly), I think it's going to well offset the price of buying this car at auction.

Ed

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Trav
The only thing missing from this thread is Bob Barker.

Ok..now that's funny!

(aside from what is evidenced from the foto, there's literally no way of guessing anywhere near accurate without pulling off that bumper cover.. but for chits and grins my guess is... expensive!...‚)

I replaced a bumper cover eons ago and just the cover, labour and proper paint job to blend it in was around $1200 if I recall. That was JUST the cover and nothing else...

Last edited:
An auction is usually an "as is" purchase, no warranty expressed or implied. I suspect the OP is on their own as regards any repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back