Looking for a new 10" tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I each have Samsung Tab 4 5.1 they have been great for over 4years, but are getting a bit old and don't hold a charge like they ued to.

We are looking to replace them.

We bought the tablets to replace our desk top computer, and the features serve us well, for watching video, surfing the net, social networking and taking the odd picture.

We are not opposed to upgrading, but not sure what up-grades would benifit us.

Suggestions please on what we might consider.

Thanks !

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Amazon will likely have a great deal on one on Monday and Tuesday, Prime Day(s)

Thank you, I have just taken out Prime membership :)

But what to get?

the 10" Fire HD. It'll be on-sale for $100 or less. It has hands-free Alexa and a good enough ecosystem to get you through all of your browsing and movie-watching needs.

the 10" Fire HD. It'll be on-sale for $100 or less. It has hands-free Alexa and a good enough ecosystem to get you through all of your browsing and movie-watching needs.

Thank you, I did look at that. It apparently does not have GPS (that we have used) and it seems Canadian versions do not have Alexa
Not that I know what Alexa is ! Please educate me.

Alexa is to Amazon as Siri is to Apple.. The US version of the tablet will allow you to say something like, "Alexa, tell me the weather" and it will do so, even without you having to touch any button. If you have Echo devices or other smart devices, you can use the tablet to help you control them, as well.

One key example: my wife and I routinely ask Alexa to add X to our Grocery list. Then, I pull the list up on my phone while at the store and check off each item as I collect it. pretty convenient.

I suggest looking at a Chromebook.
My iPad has been idle since I got an Asus C302.

Otherwise, Costco has great deals on tablets.
Good luck.

Yeah, I used to have an Android tablet and the Amazon tablet. But ever since I got a Surface, I kinda stopped using the android tablets. Basically full windows 10 so anything I can run on my desktop, I can do on the tablet. Android always has slightly annoying things that are different than Windows 10. There's a cheap surface out now too, Surface Go, starting at $400.

My wife loves her Fire HD10. Her main use is reading or Netflix etc. $100 would be a good deal. She did however crack her screen recently. Had it propped on the dashboard and I took off too quickly and it fell down screen first on her knee. Looks like replacing it should be quick and cheap though so I'm not too worried. I love the Fire tablets because they seem well built and last for so long (ignoring the screen issue above). We have an older one from a few years ago with zero issues still

I had an Acer and replaced it with a Amazon Fire 10. It's been good however Android apps don't work. They have to be optimized for Amazon.

My choice in tablets are Asus, Samsung, Acer.

You can get the battery replaced.

Google play can be installed on the fire rablets.there are a couple of urine videos on how to get it done, since the Amazon apps don't cover everything. I have installed google play on my fire tablets and it works sezmlessly.

Originally Posted by Billbert
...a couple of urine videos on how to get it done, since the Amazon apps don't cover everything.

I'm guess auto-correct caused this.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I suggest looking at a Chromebook.
My iPad has been idle since I got an Asus C302.

Otherwise, Costco has great deals on tablets.
Good luck.

Thank you, it seems a Chromebook is a tablet with an attached key pad? I use a blue tooth keypad with my tablet now, but as an accessory.

Sorry to have to ask some basic questions but can someone explain what the specs will do for me.

I understand camera resolutions and battery capacity, I assume Quad core with give quicker response than duel core?
But I have had occasion were I have had to dump apps to gain storage, what would help threre?
I like the idea of adding a card to store photos etc. (Something my previous Ipad could not do)
What amount of ROM would I need and how would it help?

Really appreciate the help I am getting here. I bought our current tablets fro Costco, but they are not a place to get purchase advice.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
If your old tablet is working fine, what about replacing just the battery?

It is also needing a re-boot to access the internet on a more and more frequent basis.
I also wanted to use Chromecast, but that only 'kind of works' on my old tablet (sound out of sync)

Purchased the ONN 10.1 tablet a few weeks ago. It's Walmart's own brand but pretty good for the money. Full latest Android system 9 Pie, BT, GPS, slot for additional storage, etc. Only $79.00 which is what I bought instead of the $99.00 one which includes a keyboard.

Replaced my Fire 8 HD because I finally got tired of Amazons operating system. Didn't want to try any Android hacks to make it work like I thought it should. I bought it about 4 years ago but time to move on.

Xperia Z4 Tablet, I want my tablets to be dust/water resistant.

I got the Original Sonly Xperia Z, and the only limiting factor was that Android was only upgraded once from Sony. The new ones are better.

I can take my tablet in humid/wet environments,

If you can spare $250, iPad. I hate to recommend it because I absolutely detest Apple's planned obsolescence, but for the updates and the variety of apps, Apple is best.

That said, Fire tablet is great too if you don't mind being limited to Amazon's store, which does not have many apps. Some apps on Play Store are newer versions than Amazon's, don't ask me why.
If you are into rooting, there is no good tablet for the price than Fire tablet.

Alxea is like Siri or Google Assistant. I hate those for being privacy invaders. As it is there is very little privacy and I don't exactly appreciate any corporate giant eavesdropping on my home conversations. Just a couple of days ago, a Belgian newspaper revealed how Google stores almost all communication with google assistant and how some of the conversations were recorded when the user didn't actually said "OK Google".

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Xperia Z4 Tablet, I want my tablets to be dust/water resistant.

I got the Original Sonly Xperia Z, and the only limiting factor was that Android was only upgraded once from Sony. The new ones are better.

I can take my tablet in humid/wet environments,

Wow..... the price is high and the product is big. If I can't put the product into my side cargo pant-pocket, it's not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back