Idemitsu ATF TYPE-H PLUS DW-1 For Honda * NEW *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RLS
I went to the Valvoline website and downloaded the spec sheet for the Maxlife trans fluid. It list DW-1 on the spec. sheet.

them all in one atf .. I have read all they do is put many additives for each and try to get it as close to the OEM.. However nothing is better them exact match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by David1
Im sorta scared to use MAXX LIFE in a Honda., at least in mine. My Honda has 250K miles on it with the orginal transmission and its never seen anything but Honda Z1 and Honda DW1 and 1 time I put Castrol Multi Vehicle, however castrol MV clearly says DW1 on the bottle.

V Max Life does not list DW1 on the specs.. It does list Z1... So I dunno.

250k on the original transmission in that gen Accord V6? What did you change the ATF every month?
banana2.gif

Maxlife will be fine. It is the LV type like DW1, and your 02 doesn't need DW1 anyway. Also, Maxlife does list DW1
smile.gif

Castrol's Full Synthetic ATF works great in Hondas, too.

No that ATF has been changed on each 3rd oil change.. and that is just 1 dain and fill.. Also I just changed the dual linear transmission selenod..
Also Im going to change the other 3.. When I changed the dual linear the filters were clean.... However there was too much resistance when i checked the selenoid itself..
So i got a denso and the code is not gone..

So this trans has been well taken care of.

Also I looked at your vavlone link you put.. Did you notice it said SUITABLE for use.. I really don't like that word.. I rather have recommended or meets original .. becasue anything can be suitable... I mean in my Honda owners manual it says 10W30 Motor oil is suitable for ATF... Then it does go on to change to Honda ATFZ1 as soon as possible.. beware of that word suitable from means mean right with respect to some end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by youdontwannaknow
Wondeing why the Flash Point is not listed in the specs ?
Anyone know what the fp is ?

Are you worried that your fluid will get so hot the vapors will ignite in the presence of a flame? That's what flash point tests for.

Originally Posted by David1
...I have been told that This company makes it for Honda
I remember Idemitsu made type H that was clearly Z-1 but This is Type H Plus and its clearly DW-1
Just wondering if it matches the specs of Honda DW-1 because i can get a very very good deal on this.
I have tech specs at the bottom. Thank you...

ATF TYPE-H PLUS

Engineered for and meets the requirements of Honda Automatic Transmission with DW-1 and Z-1 specifications...

We will see how the Idemitsu Type H Plus stacks up to Genuine Honda ATF DW-1 and Valvoline Maxlife ATF in an upcoming analyses in terms of additive content as there has been some concern over compatibility claims.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Are you worried that your fluid will get so hot the vapors will ignite in the presence of a flame? That's what flash point tests for.

It helps compare fluids. Thats what we do at bitog.
And when every brand publishes that spec and one does not, it definitely lets room in for doubt. Again, something that we do at bitog.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

We will see how the Idemitsu Type H Plus stacks up to Genuine Honda ATF DW-1 and Valvoline Maxlife ATF in an upcoming analyses in terms of additive content as there has been some concern over compatibility claims.

do you mean there have been issues reported with this fluid ?
please do keep us posted, would be interesting to see the results.

I know I always look for a flash point on the dex/mercs I use in ps systems. Its definitely a factor in buying fluid. It shows a certain stoutness.

Originally Posted by kschachn

What a silly thing to say! Is that how you have raked up 11000 posts ?
And when every brand publishes that spec and one does not, it definitely lets room in for doubt. Again, something that we do at bitog.

He's just talking about the discussions we've been having about the differences between OEM DW1 and the alternatives that label themselves as direct replacements (Idemitsu H+/Aisin DW1). He's got some analysis incoming that will hopefully add lot of insight to the questions.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
I know I always look for a flash point on the dex/mercs I use in ps systems. Its definitely a factor in buying fluid. It shows a certain stoutness

"a certain stoutness"?? That's a new one, please explain.

What a silly thing to say! Is that how you have raked up 11000 posts ?

There is nothing silly about my statement at all, that is exactly what flash point measures. Do you know why they measure it and why it is reported? If you look where it should be reported for the reason it is determined you will find the value, I did.

Please explain what functional property of the ATF is represented by flashpoint and how it is relevant to a transmission.

What ctechbob said above.

No, no issues when used in the proper application(s).

We're talking about additive chemistry verses coverage claims and types of transmission internals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by newbe46

.. but rest assure the DW1 and the Idemitsu are equivalent...

I wouldn't be so sure.
smile.gif

We have to be careful to delineate between the Honda Genuine HG ATF DW-1 fluid and the Idemitsu Type-H which claims to cover DW-1 and Z-1.

Most Honda AT transmissions are automated manuals and the DW-1 VOA's I have seen so far supports that.

The Valvoline MaxLife and Idemitsu Type-H VOA's appears to be more appropriate and applicable to automatic Step-Shift transmissions.

The forthcoming detailed analyses should show the chemical differences and applicability among the three fluids.

Last edited:
...the discussions we've been having about the differences between OEM DW1 and the alternatives that label themselves as direct replacements (Idemitsu H+/Aisin DW1).
As you are aware because you had at least one done and produced a spreadsheet comparison, we already have VOAs for all the fluids mentioned. At least two DW1 VOAs have been posted, one recently HERE which corresponds with the Russian language VOA included in your spreadsheet comparison posted HERE. The topic Idemitsu H+ (not type H) pdf analysis you had done by the Wix lab also linked in the latter, shows that like Aisin "formula"Honda DW1, it is not a "clone", ie., identical to DW1.

And then there's the matter of H+ cost, which was covered earlier in this resurrected thread, so won't rehash.

(Advertisements Removed in previous posts).

Originally Posted by Sayjac
...the discussions we've been having about the differences between OEM DW1 and the alternatives that label themselves as direct replacements (Idemitsu H+/Aisin DW1).
As you are aware because you had at least one done and produced a spreadsheet comparison, we already have VOAs for all the fluids mentioned. At least two DW1 VOAs have been posted, one recently HERE which corresponds with the Russian language VOA included in your spreadsheet comparison posted HERE. The topic Idemitsu H+ (not type H) pdf analysis you had done by the Wix lab also linked in the latter, shows that like Aisin "formula"Honda DW1, it is not a "clone", ie., identical to DW1.

And then there's the matter of H+ cost, which was covered earlier in this resurrected thread, so won't rehash.

(Advertisements Removed from previous posts).

The previous analyses have been from low cost analysis labs.

The forthcoming analysis will be much more than that.

I am looking forward to the analysis; even though I don't understand the numbers.
The analysis I use is how good my cars run when I service the transmissions with quality fluids.

This will be interesting. I can't wait!!!

I didn't go through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb but fwiw, I changed all 9 quarts in my 05 Odyssey with Valv Maxlife a year or so ago. Tranny shifts fine and fluid is still nice and pink. Being that it's so cheap, I'll start changing 3 quarts out every other year.

The forthcoming analysis will be much more than that.

Will this go in the "virgin ATF" sub-forum ? I rarely ever visit that one but did today looking for your report.

So, let me understand this. Idemitsu is trusted by Honda to be the maker of DW-1 ATF, but the company cannot be trusted with their assertion that Idemitsu H Plus ATF more than satisfies the requirements of Honda DW-1?

Last edited:
So, let me understand this. Idemitsu is trusted by Honda to be the maker of DW-1 ATF, but the company cannot be trusted with their assertion that Idemitsu H Plus ATF more than satisfies the requirements of Honda DW-1?
Not sure who in this thread said H+ can't be trusted or used as DW1 replacement?

I think the main point made in this thread and now definitively confirmed by VOAs, it is not identical to DW1. Which if not stated along the way, at least seemingly implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back