Amazing Wild Life This Summer

In our national park....

DSC_1262.JPG

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
We have peacocks in our neighborhood.

How about alligators or crocodiles inside homes and pools in florida. Seen that on the news. That has to be a sight.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
People aren't attentive; They just run over anything. Ill go off the road and destroy my car to miss a animal like that. Got to respect LIFE over Tin Junk.

We have a turkey surplus. They are everywhere. They Just wander about like chickens near the coop.

Foolish.

A girl I went to college with swerved to avoid a squirrel and injured herself and killed another person who she hit head on. Not worth it. The thing probably got run over anyway.

So you are telling me that many drivers can't make and evasive maneuver safely?
This is very likely true
and many should not be on the road in the first place.

40,000. Forty-Thousand automobile deaths in 2017. Over 100 a day.

That is Major Conflict death toll numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Srt20
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Ill go off the road and destroy my car to miss a animal like that. Got to respect LIFE over Tin Junk.

A lady in church had the same foolish opinion a few years ago. Put her car into a ditch to miss a deer. One of her two children died at the scene, and she died a couple days later. Personally, I value human life over animal life-every single time.

But at least the deer was unscathed despite several human lives having been destroyed.

As sad story for sure.

But humans? You are an animal. You Just THINK you are "better" then the ones that walk on 4 legs as we destroy this beautiful planet.

I will auto reflex -steer around something in the road. I can't control this reflex. I have it trained at the brain stem. Saved a few kids in the city running out from behind cars, Saved a few furry 4 legged friend too.

Foolish? If so, I will continue to be foolish.

I sure hope you don't "auto reflex-steer" on a sidewalk loaded with kids to avoid a squirrel........

No such thing as sidewalks in my town. Plus if driving through a fancy town, I would be going slow enough to brake. I drive with one tire on the centerline so I usually have some runoff room.

Given the comments, Looks like many here need some evasive driving lessons.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
In our national park....

We have one of those (or it's very close North American relative) hanging out in our back yard.

I can hear it 'yipping' sometimes at night.

Herds of deer, the above, red tail hawks, turkey vultures, ground hogs, and who knows what else are numerous around here.

Since I am going to help set up the stages for the New England Forest Rally next Thursday (BEFORE the spectator crowds, and loud rally cars come through), I am hoping to see a moosey or two out there in the wilds of Maine/N.H.
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
People aren't attentive; They just run over anything. Ill go off the road and destroy my car to miss a animal like that. Got to respect LIFE over Tin Junk.

We have a turkey surplus. They are everywhere. They Just wander about like chickens near the coop.

Foolish.

A girl I went to college with swerved to avoid a squirrel and injured herself and killed another person who she hit head on. Not worth it. The thing probably got run over anyway.

Yep. I'm not swerving for anything smaller than a deer, and only if I think the swerve won't make the situation worse. Panic braking only. Moose, well that I will take larger risks for. But you get the idea.

Nothing like being on a bicycle and having to stop for the bear crossing the road in front of you. One time I had a small guy cross in front of me. I spent a few minutes making sure momma wasn't coming next, and I had no problems biking up the next hill after that.

Not that long ago I saw a momma go across the road, followed by cub, but instead of dashing into the woods baby bear went up the tree right next to the road. I stopped, and he kept looking down at me. I didn't stay long but it was a nice way to start the day.

Had a strange interaction with my local PD about wildlife recently.
Was driving home not long before dark and a deer started crossing a busy secondary road ahead of me...then I noticed it was moving very slowly. I coasted for a bit to give it time to get across, saw when I got closer that it had a visible leg wound. Turned around and the deer was just hanging around by the edge of the road, I think because it was steep down into the woods and maybe it didn't want to attempt the grade...it had no apparent fear of the car and didn't move as I went by twice more.
Called the non-emergency PD number and told them my story after trying animal control first (went to voice mail), then said my main reason for calling was that I was concerned there might be a serious accident involving this deer that couldn't move quickly and seemed to prefer staying on the pavement.
The dispatcher or whomever it was seemed peeved that I was bothering them and said they couldn't do anything about it since animal control was off hours...somebody would come by and hit and kill the thing or it would die on its own, not worth worrying about.
It's OK to say a car will likely get in an accident because of this animal and being proactive is just irritating? Cmon...

They probably don't have anyone to send out, and they can't tell you to just deal with it on your own either.

A few times I've thought of keeping a trunk gun, like a Ruger Takedown, for this sort of thing, but I know it's too much of a liability to think seriously about it.

Few more critters showed up. New bear-Ground hog/Woodchuck and Deer and paw prints on the window sill Peeping tom Raccoon. Did not think 2 females with cubs would be inside the same territory
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flycatcher showed up today . Discovered this due to the cat chattering at it on the other side of the sliding door .

Back