Victim of a gorilla oil tech....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Angry ex -felons taking it out on customers. Horrendous and Unbelievable.

Utter B.S.

The type of insurance that reputable places carry will NOT support an ex-con being on payroll handling customer cars.

Most places kick you to the curb for a DUI - some will give you the boot for a moving violation.

The dealer I worked at had that policy - one of the techs was fired the next morning for starting a fight at the local bar. He also had a weapon on him(a billy club). He's the brother of the now shop steward but still. Another tech was fired after driving home from the bar drunk. He was going through a brutal divorce, and to add insult to injury was the union steward for the shop at the time.

Recently, they hired a detailer but let him go after finding something that wasn't in his record.

The dealer we got it from was not a Hyundai dealer. The used car manager did say it showed they changed the oil. He swears they would never use an impact on the bolt. Well then the tech either used a breaker bar or cross threaded it when he reinstalled it.

Anyways they agreed to pay for a new pan and gasket material. I have already removed the old pan.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

The type of insurance that reputable places carry will NOT support an ex-con being on payroll handling customer cars.

Most places kick you to the curb for a DUI - some will give you the boot for a moving violation.

Wroooonnng!

Read it and weep.

If I had a vehicle I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER take it to a shop that hired ex felons or cons.
Click on title below for link.

Dealership in Virginia hires ex cons as mechanics.
Actually you got to give these guys and gals a chance to straighten up and get on their own two feet. Car mechanic/tech, construction labourers and lawn care is a great way to get going.
Anyone can take out suppressed anger on inanimate objects. Maybe they feel its job security, " gotta bring the car back to the shop - customer cant get drain plug out!"

My Subaru drain plug bungle is a design/materials issue. They went back to the 17MM hex at the latest by the next model. This was the first application of the FB25 in the older ( and best?) Forester platform that had utilised the excellent (and, IMO, superior) EJ253 previously.

pleased to see the small sump on my aluminum oil pans … puts the plug in steel …

As a Technician , I have never seen anyone use a Impact on a oil drain plug. Its just not something that is done, I would have to imagine any tech caught doing so would be let go.

Originally Posted by Thax
As a Technician , I have never seen anyone use a Impact on a oil drain plug. Its just not something that is done, I would have to imagine any tech caught doing so would be let go.

It's common opinion around this site that impacts are used by techs at shops on a daily basis on drain plugs. Doesn't mean it's fact though....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

It's common opinion around this site that impacts are used by techs at shops on a daily basis on drain plugs. Doesn't mean it's fact though....

Yeah lots of ignorant hyperbole.

Ive never been unable to remove a drain plug, and I service many vehicles that get indy quick lube or dealer quick lube service. Personally I think some just need to learn how to use their strength and mass to their advantage.

I did an oil change on my buddy's Cummins years ago. To get the drain plug out, I had to use the longest breaker bar I had and the oil pan was flexing before the plug finally broke free. I know it's easy to dismiss things as being done with an impact. I have no idea how this plug was put in, whether it was by hand or by impact. All I can say was that it was way, way too tight. I've never seen a lug nut as tight as that drain plug.

No matter how the previous person did it, they used no common sense. The pan didn't leak when I put the plug back in at a normal tightness, so I'm not sure what the last person was trying to accomplish.

In my experience its the customer/last owner that over torqued everything. Usually if it comes from another shop/quickie it was torqued right. Sure that have been some from shops that came over torqued but they are usually outliers.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

In my experience its the customer/last owner that over torqued everything. Usually if it comes from another shop/quickie it was torqued right. Sure that have been some from shops that came over torqued but they are usually outliers.

I've worked in plenty of shops, both dealer and indy and I have seen techs use impact guns on oil drain plugs, many times, and sure enough you have a few raging customers that return because for a change (bad weather, injury, no place to work on their car, ect) they let the "professionals" change their oil, and sure enough they are often times any thing but professionals and end up breaking something, or like making it impossible to remove the drain plug with normal hand tools or even breaker bars. I've also seen plenty of techs
use a oil filter wrench to tighten the filters and then not put any oil on the gasket!!!!!!!! Nice idiots. Sorry but the auto repair industry deserves almost all of the criticism they get.

Last edited:
I had this crap happen to me recently. I took my car in to have it serviced which included an oil change. The next time I went to change the oil the drain plug was completely stripped. So I call the dealership's service manager immediately denied responsibility and talked me up on how their top technician had worked on my car. He said that I should bring my car in and they would work it out with me. I already had my oil, filter, new drain plug, and crush washer ready in the back seat.

So I get there and they did perform an oil change free of charge using my supplies. The service manager was very subtle in inferring that I was at fault and even wrote on the sheet documenting the service, "Customer states since last service the oil drain plug been stripped."

I have worked at four different car dealerships and none of this surprises me.

I refuse free oil changes for any new car I purchase.

Why risk damage to your drain pan threads or oil being over / under filled.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I refuse free oil changes for any new car I purchase.

Why risk damage to your drain pan threads or oil being over / under filled.
smirk.gif

I agree 100%. I'm on a 2018+ Jeep JL Wrangler forum and people are having huge problems with the dealerships overfilling the oil on the 3.6 Pentastar engines. The 3.6 in the JL is the updated version. It went from 6 quarts in the original to 5 in this one. Dealerships are filling it to 6 and driving people crazy. Service advisors and techs are even arguing with people about it until they show them their owner's manuals. So that tells you they are either not reading the dip sticks or they don't know how to read them accurately.

Jeep gives the first 4 oil changes and tire rotations for free. I've told forum members I wouldn't be taking them up on them for several reasons, including overtightened or stripped drain plugs, overfilling, and improper tightening of the filter cap. The silly thing is that the JL 3.6 is the easiest oil change I've seen. There is plenty of room under the Jeep with no exhaust pipes anywhere near your hands. The filter housing is front and center on the engine and could not be easier to access. Finally, it takes one 5 quart jug and hits the mark on the dipstick perfectly. Simple.

The good news is that with the large number of folks on that forum, this epidemic isn't causing any problems. I've not heard of one person experiencing an engine issue or even seeing any ill effects (foaming) of the oil. I think the safety margin has to be about a quart over full.

^^^^^

Very good post.

Though nothing is "given away" from the dealership...

Nothing like that is free... Take that to the bank/house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back